• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Official Suggestions Thread

Dan

Yes but there are people who don't want previous usernames shown so clearly that's a bad option to even offer Dan. People change their usernames for a reason, if i have to change my username you can be sure i don't want people knowing my previous name
I'm not 100% sure what you mean. No one is going to have a previous username that's so bad they don't want anyone seeing what it used to be. Even if it is a little goofy most people aren't even going to care, it's just a little convenient to know who is who without having to look at previous posts.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I don't want a previous usernames tab. I don't dislike my old usernames, but I don't want to be referred to by them anymore. Mostly for personal reasons. I know everybody already knows my old usernames, but new people don't, and I'd like it to stay that way. I changed my name to, in a sense, start anew, and having everybody know what I used to go by would sort of ruin that. I have my old "Mellow Ezlo" GKA badges in my sig, that's the closest I'd like to come to a previous usernames thing. If people want others to know their old names, they can put them in their sig or on their profile or whatever. But for people like me, who don't want that for personal reasons, it's best not to include such a feature.

Dan

No, I'm pretty sure you know what he means, Dan. And, why is it so important for you to know who someone was in the past? As long as you know who he is in the present, why do you need to know so badly who he was in the past? If he wants you to know, he will tell you.

I honestly don't, I'm not one to play maze runner games amigo just cut to the chase. I think you all need to do some explaining.

On another forum I'm on, there's a former user name tab, this is helpful as it tells people if a member used to go under a previous name. Perhaps I was friendly with that forum member and I took a year off the forum or wasn't as active on it and I would like to get in contact with said person again, that's where the former user name tab would be useful.
Steam has this feature too as people change the nicknames frequently and it can be difficult to remember who is who, I don't understand why everything has to be so cryptic here?

Dan

I don't want a previous usernames tab. I don't dislike my old usernames, but I don't want to be referred to by them anymore. Mostly for personal reasons. I know everybody already knows my old usernames, but new people don't, and I'd like it to stay that way. I changed my name to, in a sense, start anew, and having everybody know what I used to go by would sort of ruin that. I have my old "Mellow Ezlo" GKA badges in my sig, that's the closest I'd like to come to a previous usernames thing. If people want others to know their old names, they can put them in their sig or on their profile or whatever. But for people like me, who don't want that for personal reasons, it's best not to include such a feature.

New members wouldn't start calling you by your former username, that wouldn't make any sense, it's more of a feature for older members to use.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
New members wouldn't start calling you by your former username, that wouldn't make any sense, it's more of a feature for older members to use.
I think you totally missed the point of my post. I changed my name to start anew. I don't want people to know me by my old names anymore. If old members I used to talk to come back and don't know who I am, I don't want them to be like "Oh you're TSter/Mezlo, I remember you!" I'd rather they didn't know who I was so we could start from the beginning and get to know each other again. People change, and oftentimes, they don't want the past to be what people know them for.

Dan

I think you totally missed the point of my post. I changed my name to start anew. I don't want people to know me by my old names anymore. If old members I used to talk to come back and don't know who I am, I don't want them to be like "Oh you're TSter/Mezlo, I remember you!" I'd rather they didn't know who I was so we could start from the beginning and get to know each other again. People change, and oftentimes, they don't want the past to be what people know them for.

I understand what you you're getting at now. While I respect that way of thinking I still think it's a little flawed. People change, everyone above the age of six gets that. We drift apart from one another all the time due to changes. A name change isn't going to have a drastic effect at all. You have changed a bit Tristan but obviously you still posses so many traits that remain the same from your start here on the forum.

My views on many users here on this forum have changed dramatically over the years, and all those users didn't need a username change to alter those views.
It's the same when seeing a friend in reality when you haven't seen them in a long while, it will take some time to readjust the friendship, I know full well from experience that they're going to be a little different, but not a totally different person, if we wish, we can use the past as an aid for that readjustment.
I think what you desire is something already do at a young age.

A Link In time for example has probably had the biggest transformation out of anyone here on this forum, I couldn't really care about his past, I appreciate the good and the bad and accept that he was different then than he is now.
A user name change won't change the way people think of you, an attitude change however will. Just look at A Link In Time for a good example of this in effect.

Regardless!

Most people don't change their user name for the reason above, and it's mostly done out of "I want this name now as it sounds cooler than my old name", so perhaps a "hide former name" option would appease both sides.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
In regards to the usernames, I'm going to opt to keep the previous usernames private for many of the reasons that have been argued above. If a user wishes to disclose their old usernames then that may do so themselves. Mods/Admins have a list of previous usernames and date changes for any event that it becomes absolutely necessary to know a previous username.

As for suggestions, at this point I am reluctant to make any major changes for now as at this point it is seeming highly likely that we will be moving on from Xenforo towards the forum software over at ZI in the near future, although I have not yet 100% confirmed this I'd rather not change things for now that will have to be done again soon anyway.

Dan

In regards to the usernames, I'm going to opt to keep the previous usernames private for many of the reasons that have been argued above. If a user wishes to disclose their old usernames then that may do so themselves. Mods/Admins have a list of previous usernames and date changes for any event that it becomes absolutely necessary to know a previous username.

As for suggestions, at this point I am reluctant to make any major changes for now as at this point it is seeming highly likely that we will be moving on from Xenforo towards the forum software over at ZI in the near future, although I have not yet 100% confirmed this I'd rather not change things for now that will have to be done again soon anyway.
Damn that's a shame, I'm going to really miss old xenforo. All our credit and likes gone down the toilet.
:(

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain

No shout box!
No arcade!
No money system!
No amazing emotes!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well. Let's just say expectations will be high for modifications to the stinky ZI software.
@Dan and I will be watching you.

How about an Internet marriage system, and best friends system as a new modification to ZI?

Reactions: Dan

Dan

No shout box!
No arcade!
No money system!
No amazing emotes!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well. Let's just say expectations will be high for modifications to the stinky ZI software.
@Dan and I will be watching you.

How about an Internet marriage system, and best friends system as a new modification to ZI?
I agree with the ZD marriage system. In fact if such a system were put in place I would instantly forget about all the other lost features. I could finally ZD marry Seth... As it was always meant to be.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I agree with the ZD marriage system. In fact if such a system were put in place I would instantly forget about all the other lost features. I could finally ZD marry Seth... As it was always meant to be.
Ah the possibilities!
I mean, already, @Deus and I fight like an old married couple
@the8thark probably has a sexy Australian accent, and Nintendo's our game. And he's about kicking ass and taking names.
@DARK MASTER and I are like potatoes in a basket
@tessylation has a true appreciation for.... things
@Satan and I are a match made in.... heaven.
So many choices! Also, who else knows who we can meet when the two worlds of Zelda combine!
I think it would be very fantastic to add this feature!
Plus, @Link Floyd and @Pendio can both truly be legally wed in ZD.

Last edited:

Dan

Ah the possibilities!
@the8thark probably has a sexy Australian accent, and Nintendo's our game. And he's about kicking ass and taking names.
@Satan and I are match made in.... heaven.
So many choices! Also, who else knows who we can meet when the two worlds of Zelda combine!
Let's just have big polygamy wedding. :bubsy:

D

Deleted member 81859

Ah the possibilities!
@Satan and I are match made in.... heaven.
What do you mean, "things"!
I demand an explanation, sir!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom