• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Moba

Do you the forum dweller enjoy moba games?

• Yes I do

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Not really no

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I've never played one

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Dan

I don't think we've really had a discussion regarding all these new moba games popping up.
Over the past few years we've seen a flurry of new moba games trying to make their mark on the gaming world.

There's so many moba games out there all of which posses their own unique qualities.
I've played Dota, Leage of Legends, Heroes of the Storm and awesomenauts, all were pretty entertaining.

What moba game have you forum dwellers played, were they good or bad? What do you think of the genre in general?

Never liked them, always felt they were dumbed down RTS games. That and I typically don't find team games very rewarding.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Not really. I have played Smite. It was fun for a bit but it's not the sort of thing I'd play regularly those sort of games get dull quickly.

D

Deleted member 14134

While I think Mobas have spawned some very cool looking characters, I have never played one and have no intention of learning to play now.

Dan

Gee whiz, quite a bit of negativity for the ol moba although I can't say I disagree. I've wanted to get into some myself but they do get dull far too quickly.

Dan

what is moba
mobalist.jpg

Essentially It's like Command and Conquer Red alert, only instead of controlling an army of military men, tanks, and attack dogs you control a lone half naked woman or eccentric man/beasts.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I played LoL quite much a year or two ago. It was really fun to me for a while, especially with friends. Although what made me drift away was ultimately the community & game length. I just couldn't bring myself to play 40+ minute games every day with toxic immature players everywhere, but a game shouldn't really be judged by its players.

The genre overally just never clicked with me 100% mostly because of the camera & character controls. I get that it is a skill thing but always just felt tiresome to have to think about moving the camera around so much, and also never really having complete control over your character but instead clicking on the map where you want them to go. It's a really minor thing but personally felt like a handicap.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
Huge fan of League. Although sometimes I question why I still play it almost everyday. I can't play if it's just me by myself. I have to be playing with friends bc it's fun to yell at each other.

I've been enjoying League of Legends on and off since 2013, so I suppose that my view of the genre is generally positive. I found the genre really tough to get into, and it ended up being something where I just had to keep playing until something clicked. Since then League has been my go to game for when I just want to kill time. I'd suggest League to anybody looking to try out the genre as it's quite a bit easier to pick up than Dota 2 is. The only real issue with the game is the community at low levels - I've had better experiences at level 30, but League requires you to "level up" your account to that point before ranked opens up, and unfortunately the community you run into sub-level 30 is absolutely atrocious. For what its worth though, League of Legends is a great game if you can get into it, but the initial experience can be a little rough.

I get some of the criticism behind the genre in general though - mobas kind of test the definition of games. Compared to things like Zelda where the primary purpose of the game is to have fun, mobas have a tendency to become so overly competitive that it seems like hardly anybody playing them is actually trying to have fun.

I've been playing League of Legends since late 2012. I don't play as much as I used to, but I still find a bit of time on some weekends and over breaks. I think one of the great things about MOBAs is that they're constantly updated through patches that change the dynamic of the game. Certain characters, items, and strategies may be dominant on one patch and fall off during another. That way, the game never becomes stale. Aside from playing League, I also enjoy watching players compete in the League Championship Series (LCS), and I've watched the past three world championships as well.

Considering MOBAs are free downloads, I think they're definitely worth a try. If you don't like the genre, there's no need to pursue it farther. Still, it's best to get a second opinion after putting down one MOBA. While the likes of League and DotA 2 are quite similar, Smite is a different beast, for example. Just be warned that MOBA players are not friendly towards noobs.

Dan

I've been playing League of Legends since late 2012. I don't play as much as I used to, but I still find a bit of time on some weekends and over breaks. I think one of the great things about MOBAs is that they're constantly updated through patches that change the dynamic of the game. Certain characters, items, and strategies may be dominant on one patch and fall off during another. That way, the game never becomes stale. Aside from playing League, I also enjoy watching players compete in the League Championship Series (LCS), and I've watched the past three world championships as well.

Considering MOBAs are free downloads, I think they're definitely worth a try. If you don't like the genre, there's no need to pursue it farther. Still, it's best to get a second opinion after putting down one MOBA. While the likes of League and DotA 2 are quite similar, Smite is a different beast, for example. Just be warned that MOBA players are not friendly towards anyone.
I fixed a rather critical error in your post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom