• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Who will win the most serious political war of our era?

Which console do you believe is currently winning the console warz

• Playstation 4

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Xbox one

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gmiick U

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That's the Playstation 4 hands down. I don't even like Playstation but I have to admit that in terms of popularity it is the one on top.

Playstation 4 is winning if you look at strictly from a console perspective - neither the Xbox One nor the Wii U have anywhere near the user base of the Playstation 4. Honestly though, Playstation 4 is only the "winner" of this generation as long as you don't consider that whole PC thing.

This is a troll topic sadly as the OP can't take the WiiU as seriously as the PS4 and Xbone.

There is no winner in this. All 3 are different. And have different core markets. The PS4 and Xbone are the most similar of the 3, but still have their own separate core target audiences.
Also the talk now is about NX. The WiiU as a hardware platform is on it's way out. As a software development platform though it will survive for a long time yet. As in playing WiiU styled games on the NX.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
In terms of sales, I'm pretty sure Sony and the PlayStation 4 has that award on lock down. But in terms of general consensus among gamers and fans? Hard to say. The eighth generation of consoles feels much weaker when compared to the seventh, with many console games across the board receiving more HD remasters, re-releases, reboots and rehashes than I can count. The PS4 and XBO in particular feel like they're racing one another into obsoletion because they're trying too hard to compete with the TV to be the ultimate entertainment system.

Sure, Nintendo tried something different with the Wii U's Gamepad, allowing games to be played on two screens. This frees up the TV, so my roommate can binge watch all the shows on Netflix that he wants while I'm huddled in the corner playing "teh Marios." If anything, the Wii U's only real saving grace is that its had the best exclusive games so far, although the PS4 is steadily catching up with games like Until Dawn and Bloodborne.

I guess it all comes down to your preferences; I just want the damned console wars to end already. There are some things that should have remained in the 90s, and the console wars are definitely one of those things.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
In terms of sales, I'm pretty sure Sony and the PlayStation 4 has that award on lock down. But in terms of general consensus among gamers and fans? Hard to say. The eighth generation of consoles feels much weaker when compared to the seventh, with many console games across the board receiving more HD remasters, re-releases, reboots and rehashes than I can count. The PS4 and XBO in particular feel like they're racing one another into obsoletion because they're trying too hard to compete with the TV to be the ultimate entertainment system.

Sure, Nintendo tried something different with the Wii U's Gamepad, allowing games to be played on two screens. This frees up the TV, so my roommate can binge watch all the shows on Netflix that he wants while I'm huddled in the corner playing "teh Marios." If anything, the Wii U's only real saving grace is that its had the best exclusive games so far, although the PS4 is steadily catching up with games like Until Dawn and Bloodborne.

I guess it all comes down to your preferences; I just want the damned console wars to end already. There are some things that should have remained in the 90s, and the console wars are definitely one of those things.

The console wars are necessary. The competition forces companies to make better products to try and outdo the others. Without this competition there would be stagnancy.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
Most likely PS4, even though I like all to an extent. I prefer Sony over Microsoft, and I had Nintendo as my first introduction to video games (And I've stuck with them for years), so I say they both are pretty great. However, statistically, Nintendo stands no chance, and Microsoft is behind.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Been tempted to get a Bloodbornestation 4 for a while which seems to have some good stuff in line and also seems to have it best as far as quantity. There's the third party stuff like Dark Souls 3, the next Deus Ex, Nier Automata, Ni-oh, Persona 5, indies, etc; keep in mind Ni-Oh and Nier are exclusive. There's some of sony's own stuff like Uncharted, Kojima's next project (looking forward to this one myself) and other things I don't really care to mention. I don't really care for the amount of hype it has, since I feel it is unwarranted and therefore a negative in my book.

I'd say the WiiU still has a pretty decent library as far as exclusives go, although I'm not as fond of some as many seem to be. Personally, I'd say The Wonderful 101 is still the killer app and a strong candidate for the best game it has. I haven't played most of the new ones like the Yoshi Wool game and Splatoon, athough those seem pretty solid and it seems a lot of people like Splatoon in particular so there's that. Only real problem with the WiiU as far as I can tell is the slow schedule, amiibos and the possibility that they might put it to sleep after Zelda U (which I'm sadly not very confident in) and I feel I'm being generous with that estimate.

I don't care much for Xbone since I'm kind of a weeaboo when it comes to games, but I'm jealous they're getting Scalebound. If Kamiya works his magic again, he'll probably make the best game on the Xbox One, just like he did with the WiiU. Probably won't be playing, but I'm hoping it turns out good.

D

Deleted member 14134

1. How dare you call the wuu a gimmick. Brace yourself, as in due time I'll rain upon you in a vile storm of hell fire that will mainly consist pre-puberty fanboyism and hurt feelings.

2. Why isn't this topic in the "mature discussion" section.

3. PS4, tho I wish backwards compatibility was a thing.

The console wars are necessary. The competition forces companies to make better products to try and outdo the others. Without this competition there would be stagnancy.
There is cometition but there is no console war as many people out it.

Nintendo only competition is itself. It needs to better itself and it's previous games every year.
The hard core Nintendo fans just want better and better games (understandably). If they don't get it they will mostly just skip buying the game (not turn to the competition, mostly). I am a prime example of this. I do buy enough non Nintendo games too, but I buy those regardless of the quality of Nintendo games. I have my Nintendo $$ saved up and if the Nintendo game is bad (ie Amiibo festival and Ultra Smash Tennis), I don't gett any better replacement games, I just get nothing.
Nintdndo portable does have iOS as a slight competitor but I would say most of the Nintendo portable gaming customers would buy a portable console regrdless of the iOS offerings. iOS wins the casual gaming market, but for more in depth gaming, Nintendo wins, because of the content quality and the fact you have buttons to press, not just a touch screen.

Sony and MS compete with each other but not as much as you think. I see here it's more the game developers competing with each other. As much as people to like the PS4 for the hardware (and many do), people do still choose their console for the games they like. Since most of the good games are on Xbox and PS, it's the few exclusives that sway people's choice. There is competition here but it's not as fierce between MS and Sony as you think. I personally the biggest competition is Sony and MS fighting to get the better single platform exclusive games from the developers out there.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Wii U could have been so much better. It looked promising but there are more down than upsides. I don't think motion controle is the main reason. it's more the games and how it has been develloped. Nintendo should really do a lot better if they want to win this "war".

Right now I say PS4 is having this in the pocket.

Ganondork

goo
PlayStation 4. It sold almost as many units during Black Friday as the Xbox One has sold since its release. Wii U isn't even in the race.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Obligatory:

I'm a bit bothered how people simply assume because Sony handled the launch better, they automatically won the entire generation. That's rather naive and short sighted. There is a lot more to the generation than the first couple months.

Sony certainly arrogantly thinks they have already won. They've been totally dismissive of their fans since launch. While their loyalists blindly parrot out that Sony "won" because it listened to fans at launch.

Microsoft on the other hand has been working very hard kissing up to their fans giving them many things they were asking for for no extra cost. For instance, free and seamless backwards compatibility while Sony is still deadset against it and insists on charging a subscription for the limited backwards compatibility they do have.

Sony's entire attitude since the initial launch has been one of smug superiority and carelessness. That same attitude is what cost them the last generation. Sony deliberately made the PS3 difficult to code for in an attempt to force game developers trying to make multiplat games to only make games for the PS3. It backfired in that almost every single multiplat game was developed on the Xbox 360 first and then, badly, ported to the PS3.

This is what Sony has always done, they do one thing right and then they get arrogant and overconfident and screw up everything after that. Given how they are doing that and Microsoft is actively working to appease its fanbase and give it essentially whatever it asks for, I think it's pretty obvious Microsoft is going to come out on top of Sony this gen if these attitudes keep going, which is probable.

And as usual Nintendo just does their own thing and they stumble understanding the basics that the other two have already mastered. Their insane handling of DLC is not reassuring. Locking out DLC in physical objects that are made in severely limited quantities and then never produced again is a very bad business practice and I'm astonished how excited Nintendo fans are about it. After years of viciously criticizing much more tame DLC practices on the Playstation and Xbox.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
PlayStation 4. It sold almost as many units during Black Friday as the Xbox One has sold since its release. Wii U isn't even in the race.
...Holy **** Kieth posted.

Anyway, yeah I'd say Playstation 4 will be looked back upon as the superior console of this gen. The Wii U had no chance really, but keep in mind it technically is a gen behind the Xbox One and PS4. Even compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3 it isn't even that great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom