• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U A Fan HD Remake of Twilight Princess (Project Midnight)

Hey all!

First off, I'm new to the Dungeon and I look forward to doing more here.

Now that that's out of the way...

I'd like to share a project with you! Nine months ago before I had even heard of the nintendo remake I started "Project Midnight", a remake of Twilight Princess.

It's not just HD Textures. My team and I have managed to get into the audio and midi comp system. We're replacing all the music with re-orchestrated versions, if you guys are interested I can show videos of that in practice. Furthermore, we've also gotten into the model system, although there's not too many developments there yet.

A key difference is we make changes at the ISO level, so the end goal is to have a completely remade game run on the Wii U not Dolphin.

If there's interest I'd love to share more with you guys! As well as get your opinions. And if you feel like you'd like to or are capable of helping out I'd love to hear from you.

Here's some screens from the alpha:

2016D1_zpsu84al2ue.png
2016D2_zpsevkj797w.png
2016D4_zpsbbs5czbb.png
Promo_zps2kbg4g5j.png
2016D3_zpsn2knjzag.png

This final picture is our splash screen. It is a screenshot as well, the only difference is that shaders have been enabled (Shaders don't look great in all areas of the game, we're working on localizing them to a scene).

PROMID%20version%204%20promo%20splash%20Full_zpsljsfw2bw.png

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Very good! I have heard of you from Andy's videos. Welcome to ZD!
It's a shame that a couple of fans can do TP better than Nintendo can, but as long as it gets done though...
I do have some concerns on Nintendo shutting your project down however. You kind of make them look bad.

Thanks! And you've heard of me? That's interesting. I typically like to keep development a secret.... I have a thing for surprising people.

But seeing as I'm not the only one creating a remake anymore I figured It's time to go public.

Well. I don't intend to make any money off of this. But if nintendo shuts it down, hopefully they'll take it as a sign to step their game up :P.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Thanks! And you've heard of me? That's interesting. I typically like to keep development a secret.... I have a thing for surprising people.

But seeing as I'm not the only one creating a remake anymore I figured It's time to go public.

Well. I don't intend to make any money off of this. But if nintendo shuts it down, hopefully they'll take it as a sign to step their game up :P.
Ah I see! I have you confused with other groups hahaha. But really, great job thus far. It's looking great. Do you know when you will release the pack?

Ah I see! I have you confused with other groups hahaha. But really, great job thus far. It's looking great. Do you know when you will release the pack?

Thanks again!

I don't have a set date yet, hopefully around April or May. And it won't be just a texture pack. It'll be an installer that includes the shaders, assets etc. Although like I said earlier our end game is to a self contained ISO file (due to legal reasons I might not be able to share that though).

I should also add that we're doing all of this on macs / OSX. So everything will be universal for both windows & Macintosh.

Here's a comparison:

Original
12304448_1208952799121375_177211310290008450_o_zpsghe9gpjk.jpg

Project Midnight
2016D6-2_zps09azr2nq.png

Although her textures may change in the future.

This looks very interesting, @Dbrodz .

Although it may take some time to get used to, the effort you and your team is putting forth is pretty impressive. That Ilia picture is a stark contrast to the original, but it retains the dark feeling that any version of TP should have (the water looks especially neat). The fact that you're adding orchestrated music is pretty awesome, and something that I can only hope Nintendo decides to do with the "official" version (I somehow doubt it'll happen with the current non-effort TPHD seems to be).

I don't know if I'll have the PC specs needed to run a game like this, but I would definitely like to at least give this a try at some point when you finish.

D

Deleted member 81859

This sounds like it could have potential. I'll definately keep an eye on your project. Everything looks beuatiful. The only problem I have are the eyes; they look rather souless. But you are early in the project still. Other than that, this looks better than what Nintendo is offering!

I'm so salty about TPHD's lack of qualityyyyyyyyyy.

Reactions: Dio
This looks very interesting, @Dbrodz .

Although it may take some time to get used to, the effort you and your team is putting forth is pretty impressive. That Ilia picture is a stark contrast to the original, but it retains the dark feeling that any version of TP should have (the water looks especially neat). The fact that you're adding orchestrated music is pretty awesome, and something that I can only hope Nintendo decides to do with the "official" version (I somehow doubt it'll happen with the current non-effort TPHD seems to be).

I don't know if I'll have the PC specs needed to run a game like this, but I would definitely like to at least give this a try at some point when you finish.

One thing that keeps me motivated is that everyone else (including nintendo) is trying to make Twilight Princess look more like skyward sword. I'm taking a different approach, keeping it dark and more mature.

This sequence is actually one of the first we added re-orchestration to so I'll try and get a screen recording of it to show ya... It's just Dolphin and screen recordings don't exactly see eye to eye :(.

I'll post it on youtube or something when I get the chance, it gives me chills every time I hear it :P .

This sounds like it could have potential. I'll definately keep an eye on your project. Everything looks beuatiful. The only problem I have are the eyes; they look rather souless. But you are early in the project still. Other than that, this looks better than what Nintendo is offering!

I'm so salty about TPHD's lack of qualityyyyyyyyyy.

Haha, yeah, I've actually gone through a few different eye iterations. As of right now these are the eye textures for most the characters, purposefully flat as to make better use of the games lighting system.

D

Deleted member 81859

Haha, yeah, I've actually gone through a few different eye iterations. As of right now these are the eye textures for most the characters, purposefully flat as to make better use of the games lighting system.
I do like the idea of that...
Perhaps you could try a balance of the two?

Here's the eye texture (in blue). I've added some reflections on to it as you can see below. Do you think that will make it seem more lifelike?

Before:
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-04%20at%209.32.09%20PM_zpstffyx3ek.png

After:
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-04%20at%209.32.13%20PM_zps3wy60q3l.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom