• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda games that could be expanded

Based on an earlier thread which asked which Zelda games felt incomplete, ive began to wonder when games could be expanded.

By expanded i mean both in terms of story and game length.

For example. Could the Wind Waker have benefitted from having a larger world map with more islands?

Could Ocarina of Time have been even better had we seen Ganondorf actually take over Hyrule during Link's nap time.

Could Skyward Sword just have been better in every possible way?

Which Zelda game do you believe could be expanded upon?

Mido

Version 1
In Wind Waker's case, I believe that the addition of not necessarily a larger world map, but more diverse islands, would have added a a tad more depth to the experience. With more to accomplish per island, those complaining about rough sailing experience could have potentially had the deeper island experiences cancel out the laborious journeys through the sea. As others have mentioned in your other thread from what I've seen, the planned Ghost Ship dungeon would have potentially done wonders for the game. As for OOT, I think a cutscene would have done the trick as to demonstrate the gravity of Link's obtaining of the Master Sword.

Aside from these, I cannot think of many other games that require much expansion off the top of my head. I may be going off topic a bit for this one, but I would definitely find it appealing to explore Termina without the time mechanism. Sure, that mechanic adds the the framework of MM and coincides well with the length of it, but I can't help but find the prospect of freely exploring the land of Majora's Mask in full. (I am aware of the Day 4 glitch though). I suppose if anything, I would find it intriguing to see Nintendo expand on Termina, but it would probably work best with a new game.

Mido

Version 1
Windwaker could have had more indepth, less trashy dungeons. Also an actual more meaningful reason to all the fishing for garbage spread all over the ocean.

But, ark! There's a perfectly good reason to be searching the oceans: lots and lots of rupees! What's not to love? :right: (Okay, maybe there could have been a bit more meat to what lied under the ocean. I suppose this also begs the question of how far the claw can reach underwater).

But, ark! There's a perfectly good reason to be searching the oceans: lots and lots of rupees! What's not to love? :right: (Okay, maybe there could have been a bit more meat to what lied under the ocean. I suppose this also begs the question of how far the claw can reach underwater).
Give me something to spend them on (apart from deciphering all those triforce maps) and I'll agree with you.

Mido

Version 1
Give me something to spend them on (apart from deciphering all those triforce maps) and I'll agree with you.

I can concede to this. My playthroughs of the game most consisted of squandering my hard-earned rupees on the auction, which only happens a few times anyways. I suppose you could spend those rupees on Town and/or Sea Flowers to give to the apple of one's eye! :)

In all seriousness, you actually got me thinking about another way WW could have been expanded: more shops, and perhaps 1 or 2 more small towns on islands to add a bit of flavor to the world. I would concern myself over the former over the latter since acquiring large quantities of rupees in the game is quite easy. Aside from Tingle ripping us off, it would be neat to have seen perhaps some 'super' items that could be purchased for thousands of rupees or something of the sort.

Pen

The game is on!
Aside from Tingle ripping us off, it would be neat to have seen perhaps some 'super' items that could be purchased for thousands of rupees or something of the sort.

Kinda like the Bow in Link's Awakening. ;)

Anyway I think the OP is being a bit unfair to Skyward Sword. :P In my opinion SS did great in most every aspect aside from the way the overworld(s) was designed and the exploration value. To me, if those things had been better, I would not have had much at all to complain about regarding SS. The story, music, game play etc. was great imo. :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
You mention OOT, and I think there could be room for some expansion but the main story feels pretty complete. What I like about it is that it is the source of many mysteries which should really be explained in prequels and sequels rather than OoT itself. I dont think we should see Ganondorfs takeover during Links nap. There is a really impactful moment in that game and that is stepping out into an almost unrecognisable castle town. The player doesn't expect to see Hyrule in that condition. If we actually saw the takeover it would ruin that moment.

I dont think SS needed expansion but rather a complete change of direction. And actually make it a decent prequel to OOT. Scrap those silly dragons who are named the same as the light spirits and bring back the light spirits themselves.

If it had to be an origin of the master sword the original sages that were supposed to have forged it should have been present.

It should have the Hero of the Gorons in the game and i would have liked to seen him and Link fighting Volvagia and the Goron using the megaton hammer to deliver the final blow.

The game should have explained Bongo Bongo and delved more into the lore of the Sheikah.

Wind Waker could have been expanded by not being so short. Having two extra dungeons.

We should have had Stovepipe island as shown in Hyrule Historia, which is full of tobacco smoking gorons. That would have been great to see.

Djinn

and Tonic
The fact that most of the games only give you little bits and pieces of the story outside the main adventure means you could fairly easily write a book about the othr happenings around the setting. Especially OoT and on.

But I think the main game that almost appears to be a direct sequel of something with tons of references to almost nothing at all and empty plot holes that could be filled would be Skyward Sword. You know virtually nothing of the setting, or the ancient past, where Demise comes from, what was going on with Hylia, what is with all the random space age technology, What all the various ruins used to be for, and what was happening for all the other non humans like the Gorons or Parella. The game played like it was one of the middle books in a series and the reader was supposed to have a pretty good grasp of the setting and most of the things within it since the game did very little to introduce or explain much of anything you stumbled into. Adding to the world, the ancient past, or why they felt the need to construct a series of robot pirates could easily be expanded on.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Well obviously larger maps, better cutscenes, and more hours to finish the game would benefit every game ever.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
So much about TP always struck me as incomplete. Is it just me or does it seem like there are a multitude of obvious threads left open? Like, Kakariko's rendition as a literal wild west ghost town to make up for the fact that it has no one in it? The existence of a second village even seems like it pulled assets once meant for one unified town and was shoehorned into an odd corner of the map. This town even exists in an unfinished state within context! Impaz's character had to of been meant to have a greater purpose but was relegated to a one off macguffin pleaser. Otherwise, why have a unique character fulfill that function at all? No Goron City. The game's debut area, Snowpeak, being woefully limited in scope. And the game's third act seems like it has a lot of narrative threads left open. It even seems like they were at one point leading up to a climatic siege of Hyrule castle a-la Lord of the Rings that was scrapped. Nevermind the overall emptiness of the environments. A woefully unfurnished desert region. The inexplicable absence of the so-called 'beta forest" from the game's debut trailer. What's odd is that Lake Hylia is so crammed full of content it's like Ninty couldn't put as much effort into the rest of the game's regions.

As for OoT, I know Ninty doesn't give a wit about lore but I'd love to see backstory expanded upon. I'd hate to kill the mystique of the Forest Temple especially given how terribly Nintendo handles writing but I'd like at least some brief explanation regarding that wonderous enigma. Some more insight into the enigmatic Shikah would be appreciated, but then again Ninty teased that with SS and had absolutely no intentions of saying anything on the matter. Some more info regarding the Hyrulean Civil War wouldn't go amiss. And as already stated, I'd like a scene depicting Ganondorf's destruction of Castle Town. It's interesting you mention that because that's something I've imagined for years. OoT has brief moments of narrative brilliance but the narrative is mostly subtle throughout, much of it being subtext. But OoT suffers greatly from narrative deficiency disorder and I'd pay to see a cure.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I dont think we should see Ganondorfs takeover during Links nap. There is a really impactful moment in that game and that is stepping out into an almost unrecognisable castle town.

True, but you could always have it shown in retrospect. Like a character's describing it in a flashback later on... Still, probably a thing better left to the imagination.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Obviously, Twilight Princess's enormous and yet empty overworld could have been expanded on. I mean, in context, it's like that because of all the events between OoT and TP. Fair enough. But it wouldn't have hurt them to feel the endless nothingness with some kind of relevant explanation- some NPC somewhere could have made it feel more a part of a grander scheme of things. But then again, that's the problem with Zelda games in general.

I agree with @Djinn about SS. Where did all that random technology come from? I liked it, don't get me wrong, but why does it then also totally vanish? Obviously, and understandably to some extent, retcon happens, but why is the only remnant of electricity beamos? And yes, where the hell are the other non-races like Gorons, Zoras etc? I mean the Mogmas were cool and it was nice to see a new race, but what about everyone else? I mean, there is one Goron in the game obsessed with legend, but what about the legend of where the hell he comes from and where are the rest of his kind? It's perfectly possible to say that the vast gaps in the map as you could only go to certain areas via the sky explain some of this but not all of it, surely?

OoT... I wish there was a little more information about the temples. Not enough to kill the imagination, but enough to make the places exciting. Particularly in the case of the Forest and Shadow temples. I don't know if I'd have liked to witness Ganondorf's wreaking havoc on Hyrule in Link's absence because it's supposed to be a surprise to you AND Link when you realise seven years have passed. But it would have been nice if you maybe came across bits of people's experiences of what happened- some of the people who fled the castle town to the village, for example, might have said something about 'that fateful day' when the Sacred Realm was busted open or something. I'd have also liked to have seen more areas actually being affected in a dramatic way too- like the way when you see the Market Place infested with redeads. You see a little bit of it at the ranch with Ingo's weird behaviour and before you defeat the Forest Temple, all the monsters in the forest but... Idk. I kind of wish there could have been more of a sense of danger when you're going about the overworld too. Not just the odd Poe popping up here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom