• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will Splatoon's lore amount to anything?

So I'm playing Splatoon to get myself hyped for the sequel.

I must admit i wasn't too fussed with Splatoon when it first came out. The characters were cute and it was a cool concept reversal of Mario Sunshine. But it was the online aspect that turned me off (and its a shooter, I'm not very good at those). However i'm not too bad at it and thankfully the single player was pretty damn decent (so we'll always have that long after the servers are shut down).

My first time through the single player campaign i wasnt too fussed about getting the sunken sea scrolls (though i'm going back through to nab them now). I didnt even read the ones i collected the first time through but they actually tell a decent history.

This got me thinking about the lore, the way the trailers for Splatoon 2 are paying attention to the world like with news broadcasts for salmon run and talking about the environment and locations of things. I also think its an impressive and unique way of story telling using the final splatfest (Marie vs Callie) to set up the story of the single player in the sequel.

The first game didnt pay this much attention to the single player aspect so i'm wondering if the Splatoon team are making a go of trying to deepen the lore and increase the story telling of Splatoon, and in that a couple of sequels time we may actually have something deep and involving within the franchise as far as lore goes.

Do you think this may be the case? Would you like deeper Splatoon lore to theorise on and delve into or dont you care?

Would it even have a place in such an online focussed game?

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
The first game includes a bit of lore told through the scrolls, but it's just a sort of general story of how the Inklings and Octarians came to be and why they're fighting each other. It is really easy to miss all of that stuff though, since you don't have to play the single player mode, and even if you do you still have to get the scrolls to get the whole story.

I do think the second game will expand more on the lore, especially since they have more of a story this time. They've already provided quiet a bit of story before the game has even came out with the Squid Sister stories on their website. I think that since Callie and Marie are established characters now, who people have grown to love, they can do more story wise since there's a connection there now. If they had tried to start out with the story they're going with in Splatoon 2, people wouldn't have been as invested.

I'm excited for Splatoon 2, and to see how exactly the story will go. As of now, it seems as though Callie may have joined the Octarians (maybe through brainwashing?), so it'll be fun to see how that plays out.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The lore of Splatoon is already pretty deep. Even ignoring all of the single player stuff, Nintendo has created an entirely new culture. This comes with fashion, the way of speaking, and even evolving tastes of music, clothing, and design.

They went as far to create fictional bands that have completely unique composing styles, while still staying the "Splatoon style" even staying within its own pentascale(much like how almost all of our modern music is derived from Pachebel's canon in D, all Splatoon music uses the same pentascale as Kalamari Inkantation). We have even see an inkling society that has moved on from the Squid Sisters in Splatoon 2, which is really cool.

The Splatoon lore is already really deep, and I love how it takes real world influence with current events of the game. If Nintendo can keep this up, Splatoon world will become even deeper, and that's s really awesome thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom