• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Aren't Temples Places For Worship?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
This may be true, but there are also a few examples of temples being used at least partially for worship. In particular, Kaepora Gaebora in OoT mentions that the Zoras worship the water spirits at the Water Temple. Furthermore, the Earth and Wind Sages in WW pray in their respective temples.

True. I've also been thinking that a lot of times temples contain sacard artifacts, so another reason why temples could be built with so many traps and puzzles is to keep people from getting those treasures. Only those who can solve the puzzles, and get past the obstacles can get to them, that person usually being Link.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Spiritual Mask Salesman said:
True. I've also been thinking that a lot of times temples contain sacard artifacts, so another reason why temples could be built with so many traps and puzzles is to keep people from getting those treasures. Only those who can solve the puzzles, and get past the obstacles can get to them, that person usually being Link.

Sacred artifacts... suddenly I recall the Gorons in OoT talking about the Megaton Hammer as the "Legendary Hammer," and the heroic Goron that used the hammer to defeat Volvagia long ago. Hence the Gorons probably used the Fire Temple as a place of worship, and they placed the hammer so that it was protected (or they left it for the next hero, in this case Link). This theory is supported the fact that the Gorons seem to know their way around the Fire Temple, plus the temple's proximity to Goron City.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
Anyway, in most of the games the main religion is the one that follows the three goddesses and the triforce and/or Hylia. So, it's kind of indicated that the only temple used for the religious purpose is probably OoT's Spirit Temple, which depicts the Goddess of the Sand, suggesting an entirely different religion for the Gerudo race, possibly explaining some of the cultural differences.

This isn't entirely true. According to SS, the region of the Gerudo Dessert was the location of the original Temple of Time and thus under direct jurisdiction of the Goddess Hylia herself. The Colossus is most likely the last structural evidence of her presence by the time of OoT and TP era. We also know that a part of this region was under the Sages control with the construction of Arbiter Grounds, indicating their local affiliation concerning the Hylian religion. It is possible the Gerudo warped Hylia's identity to their benefit (Koume and Kotake for instance) by turning it into their base of operations, and thus following Ganondorf on his quest for the Triforce.

We can deduct that the Sages presence in regards to these temples might of served as outpost to keep the Sacred Realm safe from invaders. It just so happens Ganondorf learned more about accessing the SR from the Spirit Temple itself. I don't have the images, but upon playing through OoT 3DS, there is a room in the Gerudo Fortress that has maps outlining points of interests in Hyrule that concern accessing the Triforce.

I need to add something. Has no one thought that these temples are in fact locations of spiritual importance because in OOT, Saria entered the Forest Temple to aid the Forest Spirits and awaken as a Sage of the Forest. Each Temple to me seems to be in the most empiric of spiritual locations for each race of people. It's only natural that a Sage of the Sheikah could only awaken in a place of secrecy and shadows Hence the Shadow Temple. The Gerudo Sages awaken in the Spirit Temple because in the desert what else is there too do but meditate upon your spirit. Each Temple is there for it's respective sage to overcome the trials within and Awaken/ascend to Sage.

This is a very good point, and I'll add to the importance of each Temple reflected by Arbiter Grounds. I believe they were once places of worship but also sectors made to keep an eye on those whom might want to claim the Triforce. It should be noted that a Gossip Stone is located almost near every temple in Hyrule. I'm sure a great deal of criminals spoken of in TP dealt with more or less reasons Ganondorf was executed.

Like Repentence said, I think they were built as places for Link to prove himself, or atleast they were built in the mind of “The hero” having to go through it to grow mentally and physically. I'm not sure if the Gods actually built them, maybe they sent divine visions urging people to build them, but that's all.

For OoT this is true, and is especially evident within the Spirit Temple. I would also say that the presence of Time-Blocks throughout the temples symbolized this notion as well.

If these are supposed places of worship, how is anyone supposed to go about it? They're supposed to go to the bottom of lakes, and in volcanoes?
Not even to mention I have not seen a single chair in any of them.

If these are supposed places of worship, how is anyone supposed to go about it? They're supposed to go to the bottom of lakes, and in volcanoes?
Not even to mention I have not seen a single chair in any of them.

You can sit on the floor :P

But to have a temple at the bottom of a lake implies it's a Zora temple, so maybe they'd have something like that. I mean, not even Zoras Domain has any commoner seats, besides the ruler. *And Mr fat and slow Zora* *ACHEM*

You can sit on the floor :P

But to have a temple at the bottom of a lake implies it's a Zora temple, so maybe they'd have something like that. I mean, not even Zoras Domain has any commoner seats, besides the ruler. *And Mr fat and slow Zora* *ACHEM*
I can accept the fact that it may be intended for the Zora's, but you tell me how anyone, of any species, is supposed to navigate that thing.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I'm not sure most or even any of them (except the Temple of Time) are supposed to be "places of worship" as the Sanctuary from ALttP might be seen. In our modern interpretation of worship, we picture a Catholic mass or Buddhist mediation. In years gone by, worship was not a certain liturgy or sacrament preformed as per a set of rules.

I see the temples as places of true worship. Spiritual growth is accomplished not only via sitting in a pew and singing or praying, the peoples of Hyrule seem to understand the need for interaction and environments that are conducive to spiritual growth. We certainly see Link grow spiritually as he conquers trials and solves puzzles.

I always figured that the temples in some cases USED to be places of worship (forrest temple) or are currently places of worship, but you never see anyone there due to the enemies that have taken it over (spirit temple for Gerudo or Fire Temple for Gorons). I think in some cases there is even references to this being the case.

I figure the temples are both places of worship and training place for their warriors. This would mean everything in them is there for a purpose

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
The most temple-like dungeon that I've played is Woodfall Temple. The least would definitely be the Shadow Temple. I mean, its kind of hard to worship when there's spinning blades of death, invisible pits, and floating ghost ships everywhere.

NayruKasai

"Don't take us so lightly."
I restarted OOT recently and if you go to Lake Hylia as a kid and talk to the owl perched on the grave he says something along the lines of "at the bottom of the lake is the water temple where the Zora...go to worship?".... Something like that my minds drawn a blank but I do remember he said something about that. That's the only thing I can say on this at the moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom