• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which Celebrity Death of 2016 Affected You The Most?

Misty

Ronin
@Misty I'm not sure Michael Jackson beats out Bowie and Prince in terms of musical influence. That's debatable at best. I genuinely don't think Bob Dylan is a cut above those two at all, and his way after the fact Nobel Prize doesn't change that. If you want to talk about 60s important musicians then Dylan pales in comparison to Paul McCartney who in 5 short years changed music forever. If you want to say Dylan was more of a political influence than the other ones then that's certainly true but musically, no.

I think it's a bit much to call Bob Dylan the voice of a generation. When I think of voice of a generation I think of Martin Luther King, not Bob Dylan.

I was speaking culturally. Bob Dylan is an expression of the age he came up in and ended up articulating the zeitgeist of that time and place. Paul McCartney is certainly musically more...well not accomplished but I think you know what I mean. However, I would not say he's...substantive really in terms of articulating the spirit of an age. Bowie and Prince are in the same boat as him. Musical influence is not what is being evaluated particularly. Bringing up Michael Jackson is to say there are even larger and brighter stars who are not in the sky dubbed "voice of a generation". Bowie and Prince are huge, but they have nowhere near the widespread influence on culture as Michael Jackson if only because they're far more on the alternative side of the rainbow.

Perhaps we simply define voice of a generation differently, but I would agree Martin Luther King is in the same department as him. Like I said, it's a short list.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I was speaking culturally. Bob Dylan is an expression of the age he came up in and ended up articulating the zeitgeist of that time and place. Paul McCartney is certainly musically more...well not accomplished but I think you know what I mean. However, I would not say he's...substantive really in terms of articulating the spirit of an age. Bowie and Prince are in the same boat as him. Musical influence is not what is being evaluated particularly. Bringing up Michael Jackson is to say there are even larger and brighter stars who are not in the sky dubbed "voice of a generation". Bowie and Prince are huge, but they have nowhere near the widespread influence on culture as Michael Jackson if only because they're far more on the alternative side of the rainbow.

Perhaps we simply define voice of a generation differently, but I would agree Martin Luther King is in the same department as him. Like I said, it's a short list.
We do. I don't think Dylan is in that category at all, but this has gone wildly offtopic lol

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It didn't really have any impact on me other than just being in a shock they're gone. But if I have to mention one death that stood out for me, it was the death of Alan Rickman. I liked the guy. He was a cool actor and a very kind personality.

Feverish

Source of stink
No celebrity death made me feel real grief but Alan Rickman's death saddened me. I watched the Harry Potter movies several times over and read the books several times over, and I thought Rickman was incredible as Snape, with Snape being one of my more favorite characters. Him dying really sucked, but I still didn't feel like crying or anything like that, I didn't even know his name before he died. Certainly made sure that I knew afterwards, though.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
David Bowie, definitely. I just started getting into his music in 2014 and was getting way more into his new albums and thumbing through his old music. Learned a few of his tunes on guitar. Then he passed right after he released his last album (like, not even a week later) and I remember being devastated. Black Star, as an album, has a much more emotional hit for that very reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom