• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What makes a good Boss Battle?

Which of these is most important in a boss battle?

• Good Storytelling

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Epic / Cinematic

• Challenging

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Tests the player on the skills they've learned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A combination of these

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Other

• Total voters

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Simple enough question: what makes a Boss Battle good? The bosses I tend to say I liked are the easy ones, like "Oh yeah that one was good I got through it first try no issues I'm the best". But my actual favorites are the really challenging ones. Not in that it feels unfair, but that you're on the edge of your seat and you feel accomplished when you actually beat them. My favorite boss battle out of all the ones I can think of is the Mantis Lords from Hollow Knight. I liked having to memorize the pattern and then having to do it with all three of them at once. It was hard, but it made you practice and improve and it was really fun to beat. What do you guys think?

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
I like any boss fight where you have to be very accurate and precise under a lot of pressure. I also like a boss fight with a lot of stuff going on.

I feel like one of my favorite boss fights is the final boss fight in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. You need killer skills, a lot of accuracy, and a cool under pressure. Even once you get the hang of it, the fight can be pretty intense.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Challenge, fair design, and spectacle are all hallmarks of a good boss battle, but I'd also say that they really need to feel like a proper fight. Especially those that put you against something that feels more evenly matched against the player, like a duel or something similar. Large-scale fantasy fights are cool and have their place, but I'm more in favor of battles that are smaller-scale and/or grounded, so to speak.

There’s a lot of good general rules but I do think at times it can really depend on the game, especially between different genres or scenarios, how important it is at eliciting certain responses from the player, whether the game is meant to be super challenging or a bit of a breeze.

Everyone knows Fromsoft these days, and while they were generally pretty good at doing many of them, I’d argue Elden Ring has a ton of design flaws as a result of trying to one up expectations for challenge. Essentially put themselves in a corner with the most annoying fanbase ever, and it got in the way of designing something to just be good in the first place.

Platinum is one on a similar level. Not always perfect for sure, but when they get something right it’s usually a pretty good time and just the right amount of engaging without feeling impossible or rude. I feel the first Nier had some bosses of a close enough caliber that Platinum was earnest in developing its sequel. That being said, I feel both games were designed to be on the easier side while still giving that feeling of being cool.

Generally I feel both Undertale and Deltarune have some really good stuff. Most of those games are more about the moment to moment interactions with goofy characters and experiences, so the boss fights are usually more about expressing that through little gimmicks and such. And if you want harder bosses, you certainly can have those as well.

I feel a lot of Kirby games get overlooked for this aspect, but maybe I’m wrong in that I just don’t see it anywhere. I usually just take them on without any power ups, knowing there’s an intended way to do things, but the credits to Kirby’s Adventure had shown just how creative people can be if they’re skilled enough. I certainly had a tough but fun time with Forgotten Land’s arenas in a similar fashion.

Metroid Dread…some of those really did a number on me, making me come back the next day on the last one. But at the very least, they were usually very satisfying and very thrilling to fight. Far and above the other 2D games in the series. Kinda hard to compare with Prime’s slower pace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom