• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the Copy Rod?

What do you think? Was the Copy Rod created by Occo or the Sheikah? Or is the copy rod just another

• Sheikah creation.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Occo creation

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Another name for the Dominion Rod

Votes: 12 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I just noticed it's not so much of a translation as it's just trying to read sloppy letters.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Okay, fine, I admit I was wrong, I tried to translate again and I got Copy Rod. I think back when I did it before, it looked like it was saying Bail Rod, so I read it like that since it made sense to me.

I think it's really easy to misread things sometimes cause the letters look different. "C" looks like a "b", o looks like a, p looks like an i, I think you get the gist. It spelled out Bail Rod, so naturally I misread and misunderstood. Especially since I think I knew what it really translated as then, but I must've quickly forgot and just ran with Bail Rod cause it made more sense than Copy Rod.

That said, I think I'm just gonna stick with Dominion Rod because it's a way better and much cooler name than Bail Rod and most definitely better than Copy Rod.

And since the name Copy Rod is featured in TP HD, even in the English version, I beginning to question if I should consider TP HD the canon version of TP or not. I most certainly really do not like the name Copy Rod for the Dominion Rod. Sure, it wouldn't be a bad name for rod that actually, you know, copy things, but for a rod that doesn't, it just sounds like they picked it just cause it sounded cool. Which is what they seem to always do for the Japanese version. Hence, why I don't like the Japanese version (for Zelda anyways).

Okay, fine, I admit I was wrong, I tried to translate again and I got Copy Rod. I think back when I did it before, it looked like it was saying Bail Rod, so I read it like that since it made sense to me.

I think it's really easy to misread things sometimes cause the letters look different. "C" looks like a "b", o looks like a, p looks like an i, I think you get the gist. It spelled out Bail Rod, so naturally I misread and misunderstood. Especially since I think I knew what it really translated as then, but I must've quickly forgot and just ran with Bail Rod cause it made more sense than Copy Rod.

That said, I think I'm just gonna stick with Dominion Rod because it's a way better and much cooler name than Bail Rod and most definitely better than Copy Rod.

And since the name Copy Rod is featured in TP HD, even in the English version, I beginning to question if I should consider TP HD the canon version of TP or not. I most certainly really do not like the name Copy Rod for the Dominion Rod. Sure, it wouldn't be a bad name for rod that actually, you know, copy things, but for a rod that doesn't, it just sounds like they picked it just cause it sounded cool. Which is what they seem to always do for the Japanese version. Hence, why I don't like the Japanese version (for Zelda anyways).

No, don't apologize, I was a dick. I should be the one apologizing.

You know that is why I made this theory. Copy Rod is not good way to describe the Dominion Rod. Neither is the Bail Rod. So I figured that maybe the Copy Rod was it's own entity.

Last edited by a moderator:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
All site staff are held to the same double post standard as members! Sometimes we're allowed a tiny bit of leeway for when we do official posts, but that's the only time.

I remember back when Jamie was an admin, he would double post multiple times. I wish I could screenshot-ed those moments so I could show you, but I didn't sadly. I also remember him saying it was okay when I tried to tell him what he was doing was wrong. So, yeah, I really wonder about the people on this site sometimes.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I remember back when Jamie was an admin, he would double post multiple times. I wish I could screenshot-ed those moments so I could show you, but I didn't sadly. I also remember him saying it was okay when I tried to tell him what he was doing was wrong. So, yeah, I really wonder about the people on this site sometimes.

At the time Jamie was an admin double posting wasn't really enforced, so I doubt this was a case of him seeing himself as any more special than anyone else here.

Regardless, things have changed now and he isn't an admin anymore so that's hardly relevant. If you see a staff member breaking the rules feel free to message me about it directly and I'll deal with it. If you think I've broken a rule either message me or another trusted staff member and that will also be dealt with.

This is getting the thread off track so no more further posts on this topic please. Message me if you have anymore questions.

Yes, because changing the pantheon that Hylia is apart of from "Gods of Light" in the Japanese ST to "Spirits of Good" and systematically changing all references to the gods into "spirits" is completely sensical and it's going to make perfect sense to call Hylia a spirit of good as opposed to a god of light

And ****ing up Byrne specifically referring to Hylia and saying "the spirits" in the English st instead of "the goddess" as in the Japanese st isn't going to cause misconceptions leading to crack theories
Hey! My theory may be a strecth, but it isn't whack.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
Hey! My theory may be a strecth, but it isn't whack.
I didn't say anything about your theory so much as your assertion that English canon always trumps Japanese canon when ST's English version ruins at least 10% of the connections in SS through what appears to be entirely unwarranted and nonsensical censorship, which is par for the course with Zelda sadly and screws up a lot as far as the timeline is concerned (HH makes even less sense with the Japanese versions since they contradict the games even more strongly). An example is in TP's Japanese version Faron specifically tells Link the Hero's clothes were worn by "The goddess's chosen hero" but clueless ****ing NoA didn't get the subtle memo concerning another goddess from ALttP's Japanese version, made the bad assumption they meant three goddesses, and ruined the connection between SS and TP's tunics which are explicitly the same in the Japanese version and made it questionable in English

Also made that post before noticing the post above me so sorry to Jimmu for that

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about your theory so much as your assertion that English canon always trumps Japanese canon when ST's English version ruins at least 10% of the connections in SS through what appears to be entirely unwarranted and nonsensical censorship, which is par for the course with Zelda sadly and screws up a lot as far as the timeline is concerned (HH makes even less sense with the Japanese versions since they contradict the games even more strongly). An example is in TP's Japanese version Faron specifically tells Link the Hero's clothes were worn by "The goddess's chosen hero" but clueless ****ing NoA didn't get the subtle memo concerning another goddess from ALttP's Japanese version, made the bad assumption they meant three goddesses, and ruined the connection between SS and TP's tunics which are explicitly the same in the Japanese version and made it questionable in English

Also made that post before noticing the post above me so sorry to Jimmu for that
Sorry, thought u were making a passive aggressive crack at me.

I'm not going to discredit Vita's claim about it saying "Bail Rod" however, the screenshot provided in the OP definitely says "Copy Rod." Since the image is broken, here:

c59d463201.jpg

This is what Tezzayay linked.

But why I'm not going to challenge the bail rod thing is because Nintendo has replaced all the textures in the HD remake with HD textures. It is entirely possible the changed the Hylian text on this particular texture from the original version. Why I say this is that I know for certain that this has been done in the Wind Waker HD. I'm gonna make this very short and sweet to prevent a tangent--please do not continue to discuss Ganondorf's swords since this thread is about the Copy/Bail Rod, but yes, the text on his swords is different in the Wind Waker HD than it was in the original GCN version.

Here is the model of his sword from the original game:

Ganon%27s_Sword_TWW.png

The vertical text translates to ほんもの meaning "genuine" this is common knowledge.

A screenshot I took of his swords in the HD version:

99eae85452.jpg

The horizontal text translates to "コタケコウメ" which spells "Kotake Koume"

It is entirely possible they changed the text in the remake. Please don't argue over that unless @VitaTempusN92 would like to take a screenshot from the original for us so we can put this to rest.
Copy rod is the dominion rod. Just like the translated Gerudo text in the Arbiters Grounds spells out Romanized Japanese text that translates roughly to "vortex ring." There is no item called vortex ring but it obviously refers to the spinner.
Hello, I was enjoying this thread as I was also looking for an explanation to this “copy rod” thing and I made an observation that surprised me. Two different places I see “vortex ring” being referred to as the spinner, but I rather think it is referring to the mirror of twilight. It is also in the desert and quite literally a vortex. I know this was a couple of years ago but I can’t get it off of my mind lol.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Hello, I was enjoying this thread as I was also looking for an explanation to this “copy rod” thing and I made an observation that surprised me. Two different places I see “vortex ring” being referred to as the spinner, but I rather think it is referring to the mirror of twilight. It is also in the desert and quite literally a vortex. I know this was a couple of years ago but I can’t get it off of my mind lol.
After looking through the thread, from my understanding there is Hylian Text in the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess, and among that translated text "Copy Rod" can be found, alongside "Master Sword" and "Pedastal" iirc. The Copy Rod is obviously referencing the Dominion Rod.

Anyway,in the case of old threads like this we try not to revive them by commenting in them. A better idea is to write a new thread and link this old thread in the new post, that way new discussion can happen. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom