• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild What about them Yiga Clan?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
So, I personally find the Yiga Clan interesting. Sheikah warriors who have chosen a complete different path than being the protectors of the Royal Family and Hyrule. Except for the annoying idiots who continuously harrass you on your way through the large overworld in BotW I do like to know more about them. Having more interaction with them beside what we already know. Do you hope the DLC story will have some more of them or do you like to see them back in a future game?

Jackasses is what they are.

Its very interesting to have defected Sheikah, the problem i have with them is that theyre a joke.
In a game like Twilight Princess or even Ocarina of Time i could see their presence as being a dark one, something dangerous and profound.

But in BotW theyre banana obsessed dorks who answer to a fat and very clumsy dork. They have very little depth, less depth than their concept.

And theyre annoying in the overworld, i just want to enjoy the scenery but they pop up and make things irritating.

Had they been done right i'd have been very on board, but the way theyve been portrayed just doesnt appeal to me. The concept of evil Sheikah should have been given more respect.

I hope they dont show up like this in other games. And i kind of hope they dont show up at all again because even if they were to be handled with gravitas theyve already been marred by their cringey first appearance.

So i hope they stay gone and I definitely dont want them in my DLC.

Last edited:

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I like them, because they drop around 30 Rupees each.

They're really easy to fight though, and are just all around dumb. I enjoyed sneaking past their camp, but not much else about them...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I like them. On one hand, they're banana-obsessed cave-dwellers who follow a fat, lazy man who sleeps all day. On the other, they're skilled assassins who defected from the Sheikah and they're known for disguising as travelers and ambushing and murdering people, anyone who speaks ill of Ganon or Master Kohga.
Dorian in Kakariko village? His wife was murdered by the Yiga because he left them. that's some dark ****.
The lore surrounding them is kind of spotty, because people in-game say they only formed after the Calamity 100 years ago but then one of the memories clearly shows them existing pre-Calamity.

Honestly, even if they're no match for Link and they often serve as an annoyance for us, I don't think there's any denying the threat they pose to the people of Hyrule. People are scared of them. They kill people. They're assassins. They're losers compared to Link, but they're a dangerous presence in the world.

The lore surrounding them is kind of spotty, because people in-game say they only formed after the Calamity 100 years ago but then one of the memories clearly shows them existing pre-Calamity.
People seem to get confused between the events 10,000 years before BotW and those 100 years before BotW (both of which are referred to as calamities, due to the appearance of Calamity Ganon).
It was the events 10,000 years before BotW that led to the formation of the Yiga Clan... the fear of Sheikah technology and the rejection of the Sheikah that resulted is what caused the defectors to side with Ganon and eventually form the Yiga Clan prior to the events 100 years before BotW.

What is more spotty is who exactly was responsible for the formation of the Yiga Clan... we're told that it was Kohga, but this would make him over 100 years old, and his stature is completely different from the other 100+ year old Sheikah in the game... plus, a couple of things he says during the fight with him seem to imply that he inherited the position as leader of the Yiga Clan (which makes a lot of sense considering his personality)... so perhaps it was a previous Master Kohga who formed the Yiga Clan.
That's not the only thing I find suspicious about Kohga though... there are a number of details about him that don't seem to fit with him being a Sheikah... combined with his interest in a Gerudo heirloom and the clan's proximity to Gerudo Town, this actually makes me think he may be an exiled male Gerudo (whose father was likely a Sheikah).

I love the bow and 1H weapon welding ones. They die pretty quickly and spit out rupees upon death. The blokes with the sword suck. Their reward, of the sword is not that great and no rupees from them either.

Why do they all drop mighty bananas? Is this some obscure Iwata reference? As their hideout has the shrine of mighty bananas in it.

RTW

I have mixed feelings about the Yiga Clan.

As with almost everything else about BotW, there is something about that discovery phase when you start the game and first start exploring the darkened map. I had lit up the West Necluda/Dueling Peaks area first upon leaving the Plateau, as I think that's the way the game first directs you to go to get to Kakariko. But somewhere along the line I think I ended up climbing a big mountain and flying or falling off of it into uncharted Lanayru territory. I came around a curve and there was some dude just standing in the middle of the grass and he was a little weird and suddenly he turned into this brutal red guy that reminded me a LOT in his fighting style of Ghirahim from Skyward Sword.

At that point in the game, there was something really thrilling about this stray enemy warrior who was much tougher than the bokoblins I'd mostly fought up to that point. He was scary and hinted at the promise of the game, which was still very new to me. And the bananas he left behind were quirky and baffling.

From that point on, I found the way the Yiga story plays out to be fairly satisfying. I enjoyed the sidequest from the Gerudo Town that makes you find their hideout and at the time of meeting Kohga it was kind of a relief to have a big bad be a buffoon. But after defeating Kohga, there was no more mystery to the Yiga Clan, and no more threat really, although it is AFTER you defeat Kohga that they start coming out in droves randomly no matter where you are, and they're all the same and just annoyances (and rarely as tough as they were in their own hideout). So that's the downside. It felt like a lot of promising build up but no second, additional level of threat or story after that initial Gerudo sidequest.

I think all they really needed was an extra level of toughness or a third type of warrior to appear after Kohga's defeat. I like that they're quirky and culty and silly, but also want them to be legitimately scary when they pop up out of nowhere.

Their weapons are rubbish, too. They all have cool names and menacing looks, but they break so easily...

P.S. I didn't complete the Dorian story in Kakariko until almost the very end of the game. I wonder if that might have affected or heightened the Yiga Clan story for me in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:

funnier6

Courage~
Jackasses is what they are.

Its very interesting to have defected Sheikah, the problem i have with them is that theyre a joke.
In a game like Twilight Princess or even Ocarina of Time i could see their presence as being a dark one, something dangerous and profound.

But in BotW theyre banana obsessed dorks who answer to a fat and very clumsy dork. They have very little depth, less depth than their concept.

And theyre annoying in the overworld, i just want to enjoy the scenery but they pop up and make things irritating.

Had they been done right i'd have been very on board, but the way theyve been portrayed just doesnt appeal to me. The concept of evil Sheikah should have been given more respect.

I hope they dont show up like this in other games. And i kind of hope they dont show up at all again because even if they were to be handled with gravitas theyve already been marred by their cringey first appearance.

So i hope they stay gone and I definitely dont want them in my DLC.

Idk, to me they're the same way cuccos are ridiculous until you attack them and they mess you up. But yeah, if they'd been more serious (the banana loving was funny you must admit) and had more tiers of difficulty I think they wouldve been much more satisfying enemies all around.

Just the concept that sheikahs can defect is pretty cool/scary to me. And yeah they menace the overworld but otherwise you would never see any. Master Kohga was a bit of a dork though idk what's up with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom