• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tips for Used Car Purchase??

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hello,

I am a brand new to the buying used car. I know in this day and age you cannot be naive or else they will fine a way to cheat you. So I am hear to ask for tips on a used car purchase. I have the TYPE of car that I want already lined up, a 4 door sedan (or even a 2 door, but no hatchback or SUV). A truck is probably the better option but my price range is only $3000 (three thousand USD). and from what I've seen trucks under 4k are simply not a good idea.

I know to look out for the following:
  • Miles per gallon
  • interior and exterior damage
  • type of car due to recall notices

In my mind of course one is to do a test drive or two, but what else is important to watch out for? Thanks for the recommendations.

But thank you so much for your help.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
I bought a used car for 4K cash and turns out it has rusty brake and fuel lines that could rupture at anytime and total the car, it would cost 3K to fix it. Car lasted less than a year.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
If the owner is willing, bring it to a mechanic to check for any immediate problems that you might wind up paying for after ownership goes over to you. If the owner doesn't like that idea (and honestly, I'd pull out at that point), then bring a mechanic with you. The benefit of being in the military is that I can't go ten feet without running into someone who used to be a mechanic before enlisting, so I've no shortage of technically minded people to advise me during vehicle purchases.

Last edited:
car fax history is pretty awesome, if you can either buy a month of it or know someone with an active carfax account. My car for example had basically all its maintenance records, no accidents etc. That way I knew it was well maintained. I also work at a car dealership, and I can as long as you go through a proper dealership they do pretty good checks, just ask questions. Why not put 4k down on something? You could get an awful lot with 4k down.

Tompatuk

Living the dream
Look up the history on the type of vehicle you want to buy. Sometimes cars have some minor faults or issues and certain engine types or models are more reliable or less prone to failures than others and might represent better value.

Remember the more features a car has the more problems there could be, the more there is that could go wrong and you need to check before buying.
Particularly electrics such as windows, heated seats, air con, mirrors, sun roofs etc. Electrics are difficult and expensive to diagnose and fix.

Use a service to check the details of the car such as the VIN number and registration plate. Sometimes it even flags up a car that has been written off or in an accident.

Ask to see service history and receipts for parts and services, MOT, etc. Check for cam belts changed at about 60k miles and clutches about the same.

A good check for the clutch is to put it in second and try and pull away. It should still be fairly easy. Clutch pedal should be fairly firm. and the clutch is important because if it's been damaged for some time it's going to effect the gear box and possibly the engine.

Drive it on slow and fast roads feeling for vibration, listening to noises. Leave the radio off so you can hear.

Ask what it's used for, cars that don't get a long run every so often get clogged up.

If your buying from a dealer use a credit card even if you are getting a loan and you can pay it off straight away. If there is an issue within the first month and the dealer doesn't play ball. Call the credit card company they will offer advice and in some instances may intervene.

If it looks too good to be true it normally is.
Don't meet in secluded places with stacks of cash
Take a friend or even better a friend who knows about car mechanics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom