• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Uber

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
As an idea Uber is fine. I liek the concept.
In practice however Uber does not have the same protections for the drivers and customers that proper taxi companies do. Also there's less checks made for drivers wanting to run their own uber.

A google search didn't take me long to find this.

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents

One incident I remember seeing on the news a while back.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sland-man-running-driveway-dropping-wife.html
Doesn't matter to me. It's hella cheaper.

Jamie

I'd rather pay more but have mroe safety, legal protections and properly vetted drivers.
To each their own. The difference in price is often as much as 300-500%. Besides that, Uber has gotten a lot safer in Canada at least because they were forced to adhere to the same regulations taxi services have. And with the Uber rating system you can make sure you only have a 4 or 5 star driver who is almost guaranteed to give you better service than a taxi because they want to keep their rating up. But again, to each their own.

Uber has gotten a lot safer in Canada at least because they were forced to adhere to the same regulations taxi services have.
The star rating don't really mean much. It's more of a popularity contest. However being forced to adhere to the same regulations as taxis is a very good thing. I do wish that happened here. If it did, I'd re-evaluate my stand on uber as that's the one thing I am pushing for here, that uber drivers be held to the same checks, vetting and standards as taxi drivers.

Jamie

The star rating don't really mean much. It's more of a popularity contest. However being forced to adhere to the same regulations as taxis is a very good thing. I do wish that happened here. If it did, I'd re-evaluate my stand on uber as that's the one thing I am pushing for here, that uber drivers be held to the same checks, vetting and standards as taxi drivers.
It drives costs up is part of the problem with it, but how is a popularity contest not a good way to know if you'll like your service? If someone in Uber is popular there is obviously a reason for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom