• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thoughts on Current Set of Moderators

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I have only had one dealing with moderators and that was just a friendly nod not to double post when I first joined. The mods that I do know have always been nice and friendly and I don't think I would have any problems approaching one of them should I have a problem. With regards to the posting, I think more members than just the mods are guilty of this, me being one of them. I dont post on Hyrule Warriors because I haven't got very far in it and the BoTW board because I dont want spoilers. I think that posting is down to the individual and there is no point forcing them to post on topics that they may not have an opinion or are not interested in.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I feel like they're slightly too thirsty to lock/move threads/flex their mod status.

I've noticed threads being moved to Lorule lounge/being locked for being slightly meme-y or having a section that can be interpreted as irrelevant, even if they were, at their core, relevant to the original forum.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I have only had one dealing with moderators and that was just a friendly nod not to double post when I first joined. The mods that I do know have always been nice and friendly and I don't think I would have any problems approaching one of them should I have a problem. With regards to the posting, I think more members than just the mods are guilty of this, me being one of them. I dont post on Hyrule Warriors because I haven't got very far in it and the BoTW board because I dont want spoilers. I think that posting is down to the individual and there is no point forcing them to post on topics that they may not have an opinion or are not interested in.
With regards to posting, that's fine, I get it. But it can be worrisome when the mods dont post in a certain area of the forums because it would seem like they don't care what is going on there. But I get what you're saying. :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't think there is any kind of disagreement with the current staff team. If people think there is, I like to know where they based their idea on. I mean we got a good communication. I'm a mod for a long time now and I've seen a lot of staff members come and go. And every staff group had something people didn't like. We were seen as too strict and not allowing fun, then we were told to be biased and only punished or favored people on person like/dislike. Then we were told to be too lazy and not doing anything. It's a good thing people tell us what they like/dislike or like to see changed, don't get me wrong, but the perfect staff team doesn't exist. And that's a good thing though. Because we should always keep our feet on the ground. After all, we all started out as members and are STILL members, mod/admin or not.

Now about the activity. Yes, it would be nice if the mod team is more active in discussions and communicate more (as members and not as mods) but on the otherhand there is always someone from the staff team online. Because someone doesn't post often doesn't mean they don't care at all. I don't post in the BotW forums because I don't want to read spoilers about the game. I want to be surrprised. I just wanna wait till the game is going to be released and not form a judgement which might be unfair. But yeah I can see the people like to see more involvement from the mods in other parts of the forums because it gives them the feeling the mods don't care about the forums but only about being a mod. So the activity from the mod team when it comes to communicate as members among members should definitely go up.

And about the new mods, I think they just need some time to adjust. Pendio and Mido were already regulars on the forums before they got promoted. People do forget when someone is getting promoted as a mod, they often deal with "suspicion" from members. And by suspicion I mean members are going to wonder if they're still going to be the same members as they used to be or, if they're going to distance themselves from being who they were. They have to find the -for them- ideal way to be a moderator AND member. And I think Pendio and Mido both succeeded in finding that way. Zachie is a fairly new member/mod because he came from the ZI boards. For him it's even more tough because nobody really knows him and he has to find the way how the mod team handles things on ZD. Every board has different rules and different ways to deal with things. For him it has been a bit of figuring out what to do. But in general I think he fits in very well and does the best he can.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Alot of my thoughts have already been said by others but here are my main thoughts.

Activity- Some mods barely post here. I for one dont want the forums to be moderated by those who don't feel part of the community. It doesnt matter if THEY feel that they are a part of the community just by being here. At the end of the day It's about how the forum users feel and I can sense many echo this sentiment. Mods should be active within the threads so they feel familiar to the other users and I think that is why a couple of our newest mods were good choices.

Consistency- This is a problem I have noticed. Things are funny when it suits the mods. They are ok with allowing certain trolling and behaviours to go on for far too long when they are actually a detriment to the community but I feel the mods sometimes crack down needlessly on some of the harmless stuff.

Also I question the reasoning of the moderation team. Why is a certain toxic member, (who's name I don't need to name) not permabanned who has been causing major problems since he arrived? He and his alts have been banned multiple times and every time he returns, this community suffers and he becomes sneakier and sneakier upon each return.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
I feel like they're slightly too thirsty to lock/move threads/flex their mod status.

I've noticed threads being moved to Lorule lounge/being locked for being slightly meme-y or having a section that can be interpreted as irrelevant, even if they were, at their core, relevant to the original forum.

Consistency- This is a problem I have noticed. Things are funny when it suits the mods. They are ok with allowing certain trolling and behaviours to go on for far too long when they are actually a detriment to the community but I feel the mods sometimes crack down needlessly on some of the harmless stuff.

I wanted to address these together because based on what has been said, I personally find these cases to be ones where our judgments fall flat. It seems we are being too lenient with severe trolling/humorous posts and too strict the other way around. We'll just need to reverse this dichotomy, especially since the strictness on lighter cases gets good members in trouble when not necessarily deserved. Thanks for bringing this up!

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
Still happening
IA5dvqI.png

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Activity- Some mods barely post here. I for one dont want the forums to be moderated by those who don't feel part of the community. It doesnt matter if THEY feel that they are a part of the community just by being here. At the end of the day It's about how the forum users feel and I can sense many echo this sentiment. Mods should be active within the threads so they feel familiar to the other users and I think that is why a couple of our newest mods were good choices.
I have brought this up with Jimmy both publicly and privately countless times and yet the same mods are still there doing (or not doing) the same things. There's mods who post as little as 3-4 times a month, sometimes even 2 times. I notice whenever I complain about it they will make a few posts for a week or two and then they don't post again for ages. But because they are active in a staff chat that matters apparently.

Let me be clear: literally anybody can be active in a staff chat or ban bots. Mods should be above and beyond regular users with their effort, and that includes being physically on the forums. But whatever, **** it, I am pretty tired of bringing this up, having tons of users echo my opinion, and then nothing being done, or if something is done it's only for a goddamn week or two.

Reactions: Dio

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I think you did in your previous post :)
Well, you thought wrong. Because I said there are mods (actually said there's but that's a grammar error), not that all mods are like that.

That brings me to part 3. Mods could easily stop things ahead of time by making their presence known. Posting in threads at all stops people from getting out of hand. If things start to get a little headed a simple "keep things respectful" would work. But you simply can't expect this from people who post less times a month than most users do per day.
Freedom of speech applies to everyone or no one. You can't have it part way. If someone wants their say they have to accept that someone with different views to them also has the right to have their say. Moderators steping in ahead of time telling people what they can and can not say goes against this simple freedom of speech.

This is not saying rules can't exist. The idea is to have the rules, allow everyone (of every differing view points) to have their say and afterwards you deal with the rule breakers and the unacceptable speech.

Don't prevent people from having their say.
Do hold people to account for what they way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom