• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild The Voice Acting

Like what you have heard

• Yes

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So in the latest trailer we hear voice acting for multiple characters including, Zelda, a Goron, An older woman who is possibly Impa and finally a man who is almost certainly Zelda's father.

There was suggestion that the unknown female character from the the E3 trailer and demo would be the only one to have a real voice but now we know that is not the case and there are in fact multiple characters who are voice acted.

This voice acting is probably cutscenes only or I might imagine a small line from certain characters similar to how Beedle says 'Thank you' in Wind Waker. We see the Old Man from the demo and the Korok just have the traditional text boxes during over world gameplay.

I for one am pleased with the voice acting. It's about bloody time. I think cutscenes have been hindered in past games by just having characters mouths open and close like a fish with no sound coming from them. This looked dumb, especially in TP where Zelda started to take a more cinematic approach and even more so in Hyrule Warriors where cutscenes were of an even higher standard.

I don't mind that NPC's in the overworld probably won't be voice acted. I feel it works well in other Japanese RPG's to have this combination of voiced cutscenes with text boxed NPC's during the gameplay sections.

Anyway, what do you think about the voice acting you have heard. Are you pleased or do you worry about it.

I really liked what i heard. I was worried it was gonna go too over the top and be too stereotypical and regional like Fable.

Thank god what we heard in the trailer was decent. Characters have accents but theyre not overly pronounced to ruin the moment. They sound fittingly dramatic too. Im very pleased so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio

Pen

The game is on!
I'm also very happy with how the voice acting of BotW seems to be turning out. I remember a time when I definitely did not want voice acting in Zelda, but for the past few years now I've really wanted to see it, so I'm very happy that BotW will have voice acting to the large extent that it seems to have. Giving the characters actual voices that are acted out during cut-scenes is sure to make the characters feel more real, and I think it will allow the players to get closer to the characters more easily. I'm happy to get voice acting in Zelda, but more importantly, I'm happy to know that the voice acting in this game will be well made. ^^

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think the voicework is excellent. I'm sure we all have heard voice acting that was pretty terrible at some point. BotW has some pretty fantastic voices. I never really considered voice acting a requirement to be good, but I'm definitely glad to have it. I really like the direction they're going with BotW.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Both VAs have been pretty **** regarding Zelda. ENG sounds too much like an adult woman restraining any and all emotion, and the JPN is the absolutely classic IYAAAA IYAAA TASUKETE KUDASAI YAMETE ONIGAI IYAAAA AHHH KIMOCHI *squeals like a five year old* IYAAAAA type which doesn't fit someone of royal stature either.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
The voices sounded fine. I have no complaints nor did it blow me away. It's amazing to see a Zelda game with traditional voice acted cutscenes and I can't wait to see what else they have in store for us after some of those scenes showcased in the trailer. Also, I don't get why anyone would want to play the game with Japanese voices if they can't understand Japanese... I'd rather just be able to enjoy the game and understand it all than risk missing important dialogue because one girl cries better than the other.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Also, I don't get why anyone would want to play the game with Japanese voices if they can't understand Japanese... I'd rather just be able to enjoy the game and understand it all than risk missing important dialogue because one girl cries better than the other.

Subs are bettah den dubs.

So my opinion on the matter has shifted. Before I was strictly in the anti-voice acting camp, but after several months and that trailer I think I'm okay with it. The acting is good enough that I think I'll be able to get into it. I am, however, going to abstain from casting my vote, as I'm not entirely comfortable with it and would prefer that there weren't voice acting, but at the same time am not against it.

But it's also gonna screw up all my personal (correct) pronunciations to ****, so that's the biggest downside.

Am I the only one that prefered that 'Cry scene' in english? People say the japanese sounds more like a real cry, but to me it sounds like some overacted anime cry. At least the english one fits the context of Zelda being let down about her (asumed to be) wasted effort. The Japanese one sounds like she gets tortured or something.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Am I the only one that prefered that 'Cry scene' in english? People say the japanese sounds more like a real cry, but to me it sounds like some overacted anime cry. At least the english one fits the context of Zelda being let down about her (asumed to be) wasted effort. The Japanese one sounds like she gets tortured or something.

I just saw a comparison video of the voices and thought the same exact thing. Sounds so goddamn awful.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I personally think that the voice acting we heard in the trailer is great and if it is anything to go by I am excited to see it throughout the game. Like others in this thread I hope for the option of using Japanese voice with subtitles. I'm currently doing this with Final Fantasy XV, it's a very nice option to have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom