• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Lion King remake

Are you excited for this?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I'll reserve judgement

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowb...ening-and-will-be-a-live-action-re-imagining/

After his work on the remake of The Jungle Book, it seems Jon Favreau is now working towards creating a Lion King remake as well. This will probably be live action combined with CGI in the same way.

I am a big lover of the animated Disney musicals anyway. Remakes therefore have to be top notch to stand up. I was actually very impressed by how The Jungle Book was handled. Therefore I am also very excited to see The Lion King remake when it is released and am hoping it will be a worthy one. I imagine it will have a completely different voice cast to the original and not be a carbon copy but still retaining a lot of what made the original good.

What about you? Are you excited for it as I am, or did seeing the Jungle Book remake put you off?

Mido

Version 1
Having not seen The Jungle Book remake, I cannot say my expectations are high or low on this. From the bits and pieces that I've explored of The Jungle Book, the execution seemed really well-done. That kind of effort is something I'd assume would be present in The Lion King's rendition of this style. Personally, I am mainly hyped for the Beauty and the Beast movie, but one of these days I will have to check out The Jungle Book remake to get a better feel for the style that may come with The Lion King's.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Having not seen The Jungle Book remake, I cannot say my expectations are high or low on this. From the bits and pieces that I've explored of The Jungle Book, the execution seemed really well-done. That kind of effort is something I'd assume would be present in The Lion King's rendition of this style. Personally, I am mainly hyped for the Beauty and the Beast movie, but one of these days I will have to check out The Jungle Book remake to get a better feel for the style that may come with The Lion King's.
Beauty and the Beast is one I am hyped for most of all. That and Mulan are my favourite animated Disney musicals.

Lanky Kong

borf
The jungle book remake was phenomenal but i don't see how they'll do any of this live action. Were there even people in the original lion king?

Djinn

and Tonic
I don't think it would work in any type of cgi/imitative live action. Mostly because Lion King is the nly Disney film to have absolutely no humans or human artifacts at all. So you are left with a movie of nothing but talking animals and no human factor to ground the setting. This works in animation and typically viewers forgive that because of the medium. But a movie of animals with cgi'ed mouths and Jason Bateman voice is really hard to swallow as the only element.

And if they actually add a human element, then they alter something very important to the movie. So really they have nowhere to go but down if they attempt this.

Just like the latest live action Tarzan movie I don't think I'll watch it cause I'm too nervous that it won't be able to match the originals charm.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
Both Lion King and Jungle Book were a big part of my childhood, so I'll definitely see it at least. I liked the new Jungle Book pretty well, but I had a couple issues with it. I thought the music was completely out of place since it only had two songs, and the way Christopher Walken played King Louie was absolutely not the kind of guy who would just burst into song. The production value was still incredible, but I feel like the film was constantly reminding me how epic it was.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
This is one of the movies I am most excited for that is coming out within the next few years. Not because I necessarily think it will be good, but because I am interested in what they will bring to the property. I hope this isn't a shot for shot-esque remake, as I would find that redundant and boring. I'm hoping they use new technology and ideas to breath a refreshing life into a classic tale.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Ugh- Of course now that disnich has been churning out live action remakes of their entire movie library I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wondered how Lion King is gonna work in all this. I mean, they can us actual live action lions and do like a Homeward Bound thing but maybe with animated lip syncing? I dunno. That would be a pain and probably look really stupid. Or they can do an entire CGI cast of animals which.... is not live action. Sure, with the exception of Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty every one of disnich's live action remakes has featured heavy use of CGI characters thus far (unless you count the mice and fairy godmothers as "heavy"), but if your whole cast is CGI then you basically have yourself a particularly photorealistic looking computer animated rehash.

In any case, I always thought Lion King is severely over rated. If there's any disnich cartoon that would work really well as a live action remake it's Mulan or Aladdin. I'd darn near kill to see a live action portrayal of Aladdin, Jasmine, Jafar and CGI Genie (Dan Castellaneta's still available) depending on who they cast but they'd probably cast Jennifer Lawrance as Mulan or something stupid.

edit: thinking about this made me realize just how many of these live action remakes disnich has done already

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm very leery about this, but I think I'm willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt on this one. They must have a plan, or else they wouldn't have announced it, so I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this. Also James Earl Jones is bae.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom