• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler "The Final Boss Syndrome"

So pretty much since AoL the final Boss Sequence has been split up into (usually two) parts - not including 'phases' of the battle, but two distinct boss battles (usually with different titles). In fact, it's only original Ganon and Yuga-Ganon that don't feature this in the whole series to my reckoning...

Thunderbird>Dark Link
Agahnim>Ganon
All the bloody Nightmares
Ganondorf>Ganon
Majora's Mask/Incarnation/Wrath
Veran/True Form Veran
Onox/Dark Dragon
Twinrova/Ganon
Puppet Ganon/Ganondorf
Vaati/True Vaati
Ganon's Puppet/Dark Beast/Ganondorf Horse/Duel
Ghost Ship/Bellum/Bellumbeck
Zelda Malladus/Cole Malladus
Imprisoned/Demise
Lady Maude Outfit 1/Outfit 2
Calamity Ganon/Dark Beast Ganon

It also seems to be a bit of a pot luck as to whether we finish on a high - with the final versions of many of these games being the absolute highlight - OoT's Ganon, tWW's Ganondorf, the Dark Dragon and Demise being some of the best Boss Battles in the series.

Then, however, we have some which are huge let downs compared to the previous boss...

Dark Link in AoL was great in concept, but in practice a super easy let down compared to the monster that was Thunderbird. Ganondorf's TP fight was nothing compared to all three previous sections.

And now, after the NAIL BITING AWESOMENESS that was Calamity Ganon, Dark Beast Ganon was just a nothing. Barely moved, didn't take a single heart of damage from me. A huge "Hit the Weak Spots with these unlimited Magic Arrows five times" meh of a finale. He looked pretty. But the fight itself was more of an interactive cut scene.

So it got me thinking... is it really worth having a second 'true form' boss, if the previous one was so good? Are you just opening yourself up to failure?

Still, A+ game. But disappointing Ganon battle...

What do you guys think? Are the 'FINAL FORM' bosses usually a good thing or a disappointment?

I dont too much mind an easy final boss. All i want is story and if there's a road block stopping me from getting that final resolution i'll just get annoyed.

I think there's a fine line. OoT did it well, first stage was broken up by an escape scene and the final stage, while simpler, had a good tone to it and was different from the first.

WW was good too, it brought Zelda into the fight and the fight itself felt rather epic as the ocean crashed down around the arena.

TP... for me, went on too long and could have done without the horseback section.

And dont get me started on Demise....

I dont really have a problem with the rest. Majora was good fun, the majority of the 2D bosses were hard as hell but doable.

BotW... yeah, i know how you feel aboit Dark Beast Ganon in the final stage. He never landed a hit on me and i was surprised that ALL i had to do was shoot giant glyphs with unlimited arrows. (I wish it had spawned my best horse instead of the one at the top of the list, didnt feel epic taking Ganon down on a horse i didnt use much when i have both Zelda's horse, Epona and that giant horse that looks like Ganondorf's from OoT.)

Dark Beast Ganon looked pretty but it wasnt challenging at all... but for me thats okay. Im fine with a simple boss as long as it gets the threatening appeal through and he certainly looked it. I certainly felt that it'd be over if he hit me. If it were a movie it would have been a great finale bit i understand those wanting a challenge from a final boss will want him to do more than just stand there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom