• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Subsequent post merging feature

I really feel that if you post a post right after another one of yours should be merged with the above post automatically. I know other forums that do this. The notifications for the subsequent post would happen just like the first post. This would happen over and over till someone else posts in the same topic.

This would prevent the soubsequent post issue that the moderators here like to police harshly. This matters because editing a previous post does not send out the new post notifications. When you have new rumours and would like to notify someone with the @ symbol you need a new post for the notifications to get sent (as far as I know.

I am nut sure the current forum structure can accomodate this. But for those who like to update everypne on the rumour scene and for other times where double posting is appropriate, this Subsequent post merging feature I am suggesting would totally fix the issue entirely and benefit the forum members as well.

TLDR: This would work as double posts act like a new post in every way except they are merged with the above post if the above post is also from you. A very good feature that others and I would like to see implemented here if possible.

Djinn

and Tonic
The post merge was an addon that was added to the previous forum to stop this very thing. I have in the past suggested getting it again for xenforo for the exact same reason.

And I see no issue with bumping one's own thread in Fanworks so long as it comes with something other than just the word "bump"

Night Owl

~Momentai

Djinn

and Tonic
Double posts just need to be merged if they are made within say a few hours of each other, if theyare made more than 24 hours apart I don't think they necessarily have to be merged.
I think they do in say the gaming topic especially. Say there's a rumour that's out and you want to share it on the forums, but you're the last person to post in that topic and you posted there last, 2 days ago. You still want to make a new post to notify everyone interested in these types of rumours with the @ symbol. You can't do this with a post edit. And double posting like this kinda spams up the topic and doesn't look the best. a number of posts like this all in a row from the same person merged I think is the best idea.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think this is a good idea if it's like, you're making multiple responses. But would this be 'two posts in a row' in the sense of like, you post in the same thread two minutes later, or would it happen even if your consecutive posts are made a day or more apart, for example if you post in a thread like 'Lyrics of the Day' regularly? Because I don't see the point or help in merging two posts in that sense when they have nothing to do with each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom