• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Sonic Forces avatar character

So Sonic Forces might be the next 'best' Sonic game (as the cycle goes), using Generations' gimmick of having both classic and modern Sonic as playable characters (to pull in cheap sales), Forces has also revealed a third character in the form of an avatar.

The idea of an avatar character is very interesting to me. The Sonic fandom of a certain age seem to love making their dA Sonic avatars so it looks like Sega is trying to tap into a sub group of their fanbase to pull in some more sales.

I can see the idea of an avatar getting a lot of fans giddy but the more mature fans will probably be rolling their eyes at this news.

What do you think of an avatar for a Sonic game?

Is it a long time in coming, like naming a game Sonic Boom after over 20 years?

Or do you think its a cheap move?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't think it's a cheap move, but I do think it seems kind of odd. I can't really imagine what kind of character I would possibly create. An avatar doesn't really seem to fit in with the Sonic series, but I guess it could grow on me given time. I've always been an advocate of series taking new directions, I don't see why I couldn't apply that to the Sonic series as well.

Mido

Version 1
I think it's neat in the sense that custom characters are fun additions to begin with, but I'm otherwise indifferent to it. It does not affect my anticipation for the game.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
EAo9iqG_d.jpg

Its come to the point where this poor community is becoming a meme because of the inclusion of an OC character.

I guess still being a Sonic fan after all these years will and has finally come full circle to bite everyone in the behind.

Let. Him. Die. Guys. Just, let him go, its okay. Crash Bandicoot will be back soon, it'll all be okay.

#Donotsteal

Mido

Version 1
Its come to the point where this poor community is becoming a meme because of the inclusion of an OC character.

I think the community's been a meme for far longer than that. :cool:

Let. Him. Die. Guys. Just, let him go, its okay. Crash Bandicoot will be back soon, it'll all be okay.

NEVER! (I swear one of these days I may just turn full fanboy, but as we well know, nobody puts stock in those guys! (: )

In all seriousness, although I'm pulling slightly off-topic here, my current anticipation is that this may end up being a slightly more original version of Generations, which is a fine game. This being said, it will be difficult to wager how far that originality goes as far as levels are concerned because of certain moves like the return of Green Hill for the uptenth time and what not.

I think the community's been a meme for far longer than that. :cool:

NEVER! (I swear one of these days I may just turn full fanboy, but as we well know, nobody puts stock in those guys! (: )

In all seriousness, although I'm pulling slightly off-topic here, my current anticipation is that this may end up being a slightly more original version of Generations, which is a fine game. This being said, it will be difficult to wager how far that originality goes as far as levels are concerned because of certain moves like the return of Green Hill for the uptenth time and what not.

For me the first and last Sonic game i enjoyed was Sonic 3 (and Knuckles) aside from that god awful Marble Hill Zone with its wonky collision detection and those terrible blue spinny platforms...

However Forces has some nice graphics and i know its all promo material theyve used for gameplay but it doesnt look too clunky atm.

It probably will end up being very clunky and have the same problems every Sonic game has (i didnt think Generations or Colors were very good) because at this point 'good for a Sonic game' is still equal to a crappy game that shouldnt sell for full price.

But for now. Aside from laughing at the inclusion of an OC and the fanbase by extention, Sonic Forces doesnt look that bad yet but that still isnt saying much.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
It's a cool concept, but the fact that they're incorporating this to appeal to that weird side of the Sonic fanbase is hilarious. If it were any other game, it would be cool but I feel like the Sonic fanbase has kind of tainted the idea.

I'm sure I'll have lots of fun with it though. However, I feel it's kind of unnecessary. A custom character with his own unique gameplay sounds better for a new IP or spinoff. Otherwise, it's kind of jarring going from 2 Sonics to this third character or even the fact that this custom character is so similar to modern Sonic in gameplay that it's jarring having classic Sonic in it at all.

Thinking about it, they missed a trick with this game.

They have modern Sonic, they brought back classic Sonic... why didnt they try a wholly new style of gameplay (like a Bayonetta action style) and have a future Sonic?

That would have been much better, and much more interesting.

Mido

Version 1
Thinking about it, they missed a trick with this game.

They have modern Sonic, they brought back classic Sonic... why didnt they try a wholly new style of gameplay (like a Bayonetta action style) and have a future Sonic?

That would have been much better, and much more interesting.

Something akin to a better version of what the hack n slash gameplay in Unleashed brought to the table? Honestly, I could see something like that work if done correctly. Or perhaps that could have been the gameplay for the created character? (:

On the topic of multiple Sonics, while I liked Generations and thought it was one of the better games in years, I always thought the two sonic style, while a cool novelty in that setting, was somewhat of a copout. It seemed to be clearly an attempt to get both the 2D and 3D fans on the same page. I've always despised this divide among the fans and think it's done a heck of a ton more harm than good, but I digress. As far as your idea goes, I think it's interesting.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I honestly don't care for them to try radically different play styles. They all sucked in the Adventure games and in Unleashed. I miss the way they did it in the Genesis and Advance games. The only thing that should change is the character you're playing as and the routes you can take with their specific abilities.

Seriously, why can't we play as Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow anymore? Especially in a game called Sonic Forces. Classic Tails and Classic Knuckles were present in Generations, yet none were playable nor did we get to see Tails follow you around like in Sonic 2. Sonic Mania is doing it and incorporating that into the classic gameplay would be a good way to build on what they did in Generations.

I wouldn't even mind if they cut out Classic Sonic completely and developed a completely separate game for him after Mania. That way, Classic Sonic could act as a sub-series to the 3D games like the New Super Mario games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom