• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword's Time Travel Finally Explained!

Hello, all! I have made an awesome Zelda video, finally explaining one of the biggest mysteries of the Zelda series...Skyward Sword's Time Travel! I take a look at who created time travel, how time travel was used during the Sky Era, and try to solve the many "paradoxes" that Skyward Sword's Time Travel causes. This is an incomplete theory, so I welcome all Zelda fans point out any facts that I may have missed!

I hope you enjoy! Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
I really liked this theory! BUT! I didn't understand why both of the Gates wouldn't work the same way? Aren't they both made of timeshift stones? Thank you for trying to solve this issue btw.

I really liked this theory! BUT! I didn't understand why both of the Gates wouldn't work the same way? Aren't they both made of timeshift stones? Thank you for trying to solve this issue btw.
Hi Amy thank you for enjoying my theory!

To answer your question, if the Temple of Time gate worked the same way, then Zelda going to the past and sealing herself in the crystal would only happen in the "Timeshifted Past", not the real one. This means that the seal placed on Demise wouldn't have happened in the real past, so Demise would've broken free.

So, it got me thinking, The Lanayru Mining Facility's purpose is to refine Timeshift Stones (It's Japanese name, 'Lanayru Stone Refinery', sounds less cool, but is more accurate). But refined to what extent? I don't know.

As we know, the Timeshift Stones naturally alter time, but only the state of objects, so I theorized that the Sheikah used the timeshift stone material as a foundation to build upon. At the Mining Facility, they perfected REAL time travel using that material as its base.

In simple terms, they upgraded TimeSHIFTING > Time TRAVEL.

Lol trust me, I've tried to make the Gates work the same, but it seemingly doesn't work. Everybody seems satisfied with the result, so nobody is trying to make a better solution lol. But feel free to find one if you can. You can use my theory as a base if you want. And if you do find out, let us all know. We can call it the Hyper-Minati Theory lol.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Doesn't time Shifting affect people too, or magic? I thought Hylia had already sealed Demise once, and then Zelda did it so Link would have enough time to get the Tri-force. I'll check out the cutscenes though. Because this is something I'd really love to see make 100% sense. I think you are really really close, but I feel like there's still something else to it. Ya know? I absolutely love this whole Time-shifting thing I must say. I would love to theorize a little deeper into this.
Q4U:
1.Do you think the Ocarina is made of TS stones (I don't know if Nintendo ever confirmed this)? If so, do you think it uses TimeShifting or Time Travel?
2.Would the whole MM game happen in a timeshifted past, since the giants couldn't have all been awakened on the same day, yet Link has interacted with them all somehow?
:/ I'm actually starting to think that all Time Travel in Zelda games might be only Time-shifting. Cuz I'm thinking of the ToT from TP now... Was that TimeShifted? You can take an item out of that past and bring it to the present... Holy cow.
I'll definitely do some research as well though. Cool stuff.

Doesn't time Shifting affect people too, or magic? I thought Hylia had already sealed Demise once, and then Zelda did it so Link would have enough time to get the Tri-force. I'll check out the cutscenes though. Because this is something I'd really love to see make 100% sense. I think you are really really close, but I feel like there's still something else to it. Ya know? I absolutely love this whole Time-shifting thing I must say. I would love to theorize a little deeper into this.
Yes, Hylia sealed Demise once, and Zelda returned so that she could strengthen the seal. A stronger seal would last longer, and would allow Link to obtain the Triforce and eliminate Demise for good. But remember, this is a result of REAL time travel from the Temple of Time's gate.

That's why Timeshifting can't be the only form of time travel. While timeshifting is seen in Skyward Sword, and explains the paradoxes at the end of Skyward Sword, it wouldn't make sense in regards to Zelda's seal. Timeshifting is all about altering the state of objects, but the events surrounding the objects are unchanged. Zelda's seal changes events.

Q4U:
1.Do you think the Ocarina is made of TS stones (I don't know if Nintendo ever confirmed this)? If so, do you think it uses TimeShifting or Time Travel?
Concerning the Ocarina of Time, Hyrule Historia states: "It's blue-white radiance brings to mind the Timeshift Stones found in the eras of antiquity."
So while it is never truly confirmed, it is certainly hinted. Regardless, the Ocarina of Time should use Real Time travel, as the Sheikah already perfected real time travel during the Sky Era.

However, there is no way to truly know, unless we see the effects of Timeshifting. But you never travel back to the future after the Ocarina of Time.

As pulling the Master Sword to travel, it would seem that Link made no MAJOR event change in the past. Even Nabooru's mind control may be unrelated to Link's time travel. Smaller events may have changed, but it would be unknown to us.

Now, both time travels featured in Ocarina of Time (pulling the Master Sword, Zelda's lullaby) also change Link's age. This is different than Skyward Sword, Twilight Princess and Oracle of Ages (and maybe Majora's Mask...can't tell). So both time travels featured in Ocarina of Time are different than anything we've seen before. The Windmill Man is an example of this. A paradox happens here that even Timeshifting doesn't solve. We would have to look deeper into this.

2.Would the whole MM game happen in a timeshifted past, since the giants couldn't have all been awakened on the same day, yet Link has interacted with them all somehow?
Again, impossible to tell, because more information is needed. But I was always of the mindset that the Giants were tied to the Boss Remains.

:/ I'm actually starting to think that all Time Travel in Zelda games might be only Time-shifting. Cuz I'm thinking of the ToT from TP now... Was that TimeShifted? You can take an item out of that past and bring it to the present... Holy cow.
I'll definitely do some research as well though. Cool stuff.
Exactly. ToT from TP can certainly be timeshifting. The only way to tell is to see the end result, which requires a return to the future. In Oracle of Ages, Veran mentions that Ralph would disappear if his ancestor Queen Ambi is killed. This wouldn't happen with Timeshifting, as the only change happens to Queen Ambi herself, not the events surrounding Queen Ambi. This suggests that the time travel in Oracle of Ages is real time travel.

However, Queen Ambi wasn't killed, so it's impossible to know for sure.

Timeshifting is a crazy subject. It seems like if we ever do create time travel in the real world, timeshifting would be the precursor, or, at the very least, the only way to do it. Would explain why we don't see anyone travelling to our time.

Amy Lu Minati

The Triangle conspiracy
Y Regardless, the Ocarina of Time should use Real Time travel, as the Sheikah already perfected real time travel during the Sky Era.
Are you absolutely sure that they perfected it? Don't we use the Ocarina on objects? And the time that Link can travel back and forth from, isn't in the same point in time every time, it's more like he travels back to the exact point in which he last traveled further or back, right? (proof of this are sidequests like Lon lon ranch and the main quest which is all still complete when you travel through again) But wouldn't that mean he's timeshifting to the future now instead of the past!? WHAT!? :/ cool stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom