• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Reducing Clutter - Rank Removal

Do you support these ideas?

• I fully support the ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only partially support the ideas (please elaborate in your post)

• I do not support the ideas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
You guys are going to need SOMETHING to set your site apart from every other forum site on the web, because let's be honest here, Zelda and even Pokemon for that matter is no longer cutting it anymore. I like ZD, don't get me wrong, I really, really do--despite all the drama or whatever--but there are many, many Zelda/Pokemon forums out there, and dare I say, better ones. What does ZD have or plans to have that sets it apart from these other sites, if not for all the stuff that folks like Djinn and Oni have worked towards (i.e., ranks, competitions, etc.?). Strip away all the ranks and all the **** that they have built up and worked towards, and what do you have? Just another Zelda/Pokemon forum on the internet.

I actually agree somewhat with this.

People tend to compare ZD to other forums to set the standard, but with no innovation or differentiation, you fall into the cliché forum with the same old ideas. I like the idea of ranks - different parts of the forum that multiple people can get involved in. It creates a community feel, having people with different roles and having multiple areas with more things that your just your average discussion.

The problem is though, people feel like ranks denote a bigger importance and this is where ranks like HKs (to a lesser extent, HNs) create the idea of better members. Of course these ranks aren't meant to be viewed that way, but they are and that's the problem. Other ranks aren't based on that but more so having a proper job that benefits the forum. While you have others that show appreciation to something achieved on the forum/site (they're more trivial so they create less of a problem). HKs are in this grey area between an award/recognition and a responsibility. I actually don't mind the concept of the Knights, but it does create an atmosphere here sometimes and unnecessary conflict. Is keeping the rank actually worth all the arguments, the hostility, the confusion? It's not like taking away the rank has any negative effects on the forum. Sure, as a HK myself, it's nice to be recognised, but I'm fine in the rank going if that's what's best.

The biggest problem with ZD right now is that there is a lack of activity in general. There are barely any new members joining and even fewer stick around. While I can think of many members from my first two years in the forums who stuck around and made an impact, few names come to mind from the second half of 2013 and this year. Of the 130 or so regularly active members who log in nearly every day, not many post.

The forums need to be promoted more and incentive for older users to continue to be active should be offered. While there are various awards, competitions, and events to keep members interested, a bit more could possibly be done. Regardless, alienating those who are still active should be avoided at all costs considering how stagnant the forums are.

I realize this post isn't entirely on topic, but I feel it's pertinent to certain discussions that occurred in here earlier.

The biggest problem with ZD right now is the fact that the only activity whatsoever comes from these kind of threads in which we invariably have pages and pages of arguing about... something. Nowadays it is not even evident what is being argued about, it's almost as if people just like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing. Something there's a reasonably large consensus on something, and action is taken, but then someone loses it because maybe possibly somehow that wasn't exactly to the letter what they wanted, so we have to reset the cycle and have another 100+ post argument about nothing. Initially with the poll to keep/remove HKs I thought it would be good to have the discussion but I quickly realized it devolved into random accusations of wanting to kill it, or other nonsense that was totally irrelevant and drug out into massive 10+ page ****fests about nothing at all. At this point I really wish we could just stop talking about the ranks and actually do something fun for once.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I have to agree with both Alit and Kitsu. There is always something to argue about. People disagree with each other but in many occasions this turns into a you're wrong and I'm right discussion. There is not much evidence provided when asked about it and people are too easily aggrivated. The activity is kinda low. And if this continues it will only become less and less. People who used to contribute to the forums with great ideas quit after a while and don't care anymore.

Perhaps you need to start thinking about this with a larger mind-frame. This forum is stagnant, and anyone who argues otherwise is in denial. Sure, the latest 3D Zelda game may up your daily view count when it’s finally released god knows when from now, if the site hasn’t torn itself apart before that. But the truth remains that your ability to hold users and retain them in the community is non-existent. I’ve been back here for over a year, and I can’t name you a single person that’s signed up and become a regular contributor since then. In fact, it speaks volumes that I can count on two hands how many people from mid-2010 are still active here, and it’s a testament to what the more grandiose problem is.

Look at these threads, and what do you see? I see “elites” bickering over why they’re more qualified to have a say in this place over others who oppose them. It’s sickening to see that some think that pure membership time somehow propels them forward in the “my opinions matter most, guys” genitalia-measuring contest, and, even worse, I see some that think having the color of the month and a pretty badge/bar next to their name makes them the only qualified individuals on the matter.

You know what the problem is here? There are maybe…… 8 “normal” members out of about 400 actives that are actually having this conversation along with those who have the colors or the early join date next to your name. While you sit here and bicker on who knows best, the rest of the forum is on the outside looking in asking themselves “Why the hell do I care, exactly?”. The Knights and Nobles are stagnant. Promoting your newest mods/community coordinators/whatever the hell new name doesn’t do much for either group. And that’s the problem – this conversation is all about YOU, and what YOU want. And then this negativity seeps into every aspect of this forum. People start to leave because bad vibes are more prevalent than everything else, with colored names to act as a constant reminder that “You’re not special”. How many blogs have there been about this over the past year? It’s annoys the hell out of me.

Members start baiting the mods and other ranks to say “Haha, gotcha, you’re not that great”. This isn’t a new thing. Members actively baited the mod team when I was part of it (One member who’s apparently “left” because of this conversation was one of those people), and it was downright sickening. This fosters such an attitude of resentment and negativity, it’s no wonder everyone tries to bring this place down, whether it’s aiding a member hell bent on dupe accounts and pathetic Youtube videos, or just making sure no one is happy with the evil “administration” via baiting.

And you can go on head and tell me why I’m not qualified to say any of this, or why I’m sorely misinformed or mistaken. You can also type your little paragraph replies to this, and I don’t really care, I won’t be responding to it, although it’s a cute effort. But the truth is that I’m one of the few that’s actually seen this entire thing degrade before my very eyes. Know why I’m one of the few? Everyone else left. They got sick of this thing wearing them down, and, like me, they figured out it wasn’t worth it. How many Knights have been lost? How many site staff members? How many “normal” members? There’s a reason Kitsu, myself, and a few others are the only ones left. I’m wondering why the hell I’m still here anyway.

I told myself I wouldn’t worry with this crap again, and that I’d use this forum as a place to talk about video games. But I slowly realize that it can’t be that for me, unless I get myself banned from this god-forsaken breeding ground for discontent we call the “feedback” section. In fact, I don’t see myself sticking around through the end of the year. It was nice coming back after so long, but I’m beginning to remember why I hung up the towel in the first place. And it wasn’t just because the site owner had some choice words for me, even though I probably deserved most of it.

I kind of wish I had kept the mod job, or I had accepted that stupid Knight offer, just maybe so I’d be more “qualified” to say all of this, which is apparently the thing that matters most here. Hell, I kind of wish I had gotten on my knees and sobbed a heart-felt apology to Mases and the rest of the Nobles back in the day so I could be ever MORE “qualified”. Man, just imagine that; 6 year member, Hylian Noble, Hylian Knight, and Moderator. Everyone would have to listen to me and respect me then, right? No one could claim they're more qualified than me, right? And my opinion would DEFINITELY be worth implementing, right?

That last paragraph is everything that’s wrong with this place.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Perhaps you need to start thinking about this with a larger mind-frame. This forum is stagnant, and anyone who argues otherwise is in denial. Sure, the latest 3D Zelda game may up your daily view count when it’s finally released god knows when from now, if the site hasn’t torn itself apart before that. But the truth remains that your ability to hold users and retain them in the community is non-existent. I’ve been back here for over a year, and I can’t name you a single person that’s signed up and become a regular contributor since then. In fact, it speaks volumes that I can count on two hands how many people from mid-2010 are still active here, and it’s a testament to what the more grandiose problem is.

Look at these threads, and what do you see? I see “elites” bickering over why they’re more qualified to have a say in this place over others who oppose them. It’s sickening to see that some think that pure membership time somehow propels them forward in the “my opinions matter most, guys” genitalia-measuring contest, and, even worse, I see some that think having the color of the month and a pretty badge/bar next to their name makes them the only qualified individuals on the matter.

You know what the problem is here? There are maybe…… 8 “normal” members out of about 400 actives that are actually having this conversation along with those who have the colors or the early join date next to your name. While you sit here and bicker on who knows best, the rest of the forum is on the outside looking in asking themselves “Why the hell do I care, exactly?”. The Knights and Nobles are stagnant. Promoting your newest mods/community coordinators/whatever the hell new name doesn’t do much for either group. And that’s the problem – this conversation is all about YOU, and what YOU want. And then this negativity seeps into every aspect of this forum. People start to leave because bad vibes are more prevalent than everything else, with colored names to act as a constant reminder that “You’re not special”. How many blogs have there been about this over the past year? It’s annoys the hell out of me.

Members start baiting the mods and other ranks to say “Haha, gotcha, you’re not that great”. This isn’t a new thing. Members actively baited the mod team when I was part of it (One member who’s apparently “left” because of this conversation was one of those people), and it was downright sickening. This fosters such an attitude of resentment and negativity, it’s no wonder everyone tries to bring this place down, whether it’s aiding a member hell bent on dupe accounts and pathetic Youtube videos, or just making sure no one is happy with the evil “administration” via baiting.

And you can go on head and tell me why I’m not qualified to say any of this, or why I’m sorely misinformed or mistaken. You can also type your little paragraph replies to this, and I don’t really care, I won’t be responding to it, although it’s a cute effort. But the truth is that I’m one of the few that’s actually seen this entire thing degrade before my very eyes. Know why I’m one of the few? Everyone else left. They got sick of this thing wearing them down, and, like me, they figured out it wasn’t worth it. How many Knights have been lost? How many site staff members? How many “normal” members? There’s a reason Kitsu, myself, and a few others are the only ones left. I’m wondering why the hell I’m still here anyway.

I told myself I wouldn’t worry with this crap again, and that I’d use this forum as a place to talk about video games. But I slowly realize that it can’t be that for me, unless I get myself banned from this god-forsaken breeding ground for discontent we call the “feedback” section. In fact, I don’t see myself sticking around through the end of the year. It was nice coming back after so long, but I’m beginning to remember why I hung up the towel in the first place. And it wasn’t just because the site owner had some choice words for me, even though I probably deserved most of it.

I kind of wish I had kept the mod job, or I had accepted that stupid Knight offer, just maybe so I’d be more “qualified” to say all of this, which is apparently the thing that matters most here. Hell, I kind of wish I had gotten on my knees and sobbed a heart-felt apology to Mases and the rest of the Nobles back in the day so I could be ever MORE “qualified”. Man, just imagine that; 6 year member, Hylian Noble, Hylian Knight, and Moderator. Everyone would have to listen to me and respect me then, right? No one could claim they're more qualified than me, right? And my opinion would DEFINITELY be worth implementing, right?

That last paragraph is everything that’s wrong with this place.
I will not write a book about this. I just think I need to correct a few points. First off, pointing out what a mod is doing wrong is NOT automatically baiting. Baiting is way too often used as a buzzword to justify ignoring criticism. Moderators are supposed to be mature, responsible and be above that kind of thing. Criticism is not baiting, no matter how much anyone wants it to be. And even if it really, actually is baiting, stooping down to their level with: "you're baiting, shut up" doesn't help things. Especially if one person does it among several that are speaking about it.

Next, stating something is factually incorrect is an entirely legitimate criticism of an opinion. It DOES NOT imply that the other person is being told they have no right to speak on it. All it means, is what they just said, is not true. Inferring it meant anything else is nothing more than an ad hominem attack meant to discredit their opinion. Saying something is not correct, or is misinformed is perfectly valid because it addresses the ideas being expressed and not the person themselves. Not allowing that is effectively banning disagreements, which is crazy.

And... the assertions about what people want, colors or badges or anything, is also a very low brow ad hominem, considering the people that have been accused of this so far, support the idea of clans which would completely eliminate the specialness of colored names and badges. Making that an illogical personal attack.

As for the rest, no comment.

The last few hundred posts on this topic across the last 3 or so threads is everything wrong with this place. It's ridiculous, if even 1/100 of the energy spent on these threads was spent on discussing video games and whatever and fun events it would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom