• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Pronunciation of all things Zelda

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Well, Fi's name reminds me of that bird from Mario And Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, that flaps around and yells "Fie"

D

Deleted member 84722

Lets see how Google's text to speech engine handles some of these:
  • Gerudo - ger•oo•doh
  • Deku - deh•koo
  • Fi - fie
  • Ghirahim - gear•ah•heem
  • Akkala - ak•ah•la
  • Hateno - hay•teh•no
  • Kakariko - kah•kah•ree•ko
  • Vaati - vah•tee
  • Farore - fah•roar
  • Sahashrala say•hash•raw•la (less emphasis on 'say')
  • Mido - My•doh
Final Verdict: Google's TTS engine does a really good job at pronouncing most of these.

I did not do a lot of these since you can easily try it yourself.

D

Deleted member 84722

My Verdict: Google translate is awful, and can hardly be trusted xD

I will agree that Google Translate itself is trash, but the main issue with this statement is the fact that TTS is not translating text between languages, but instead it is synthesizing speech from given text. In this specific case, I used words from the Legend of Zelda to see how a TTS engine would handle it. I was amazed with the fact that even handled these.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
So it seems like nobody has pronounced Hylia yet. We've got a baby due in October and if it's a girl, we're naming her Hylia (after a beautiful lake where I spent a lot of time as a kid, as I told my wife) and I'd like to find out how people might pronounce it. I pronounce it phonetically as High-lee-uh. I believe the name is Scandinavian where they might pronounce it with the same technicality with which they pronounce Helga (Uhl-gah). How would you pronounce it?

Also, is Fi being pronounced Fai actually canon? And if so, where is this found? I always figured it was pronounced the way Latin would pronounce it, Fai, in Latin meaning trustworthy or faithful, a fitting name for Link's faithful companion. I was surprised to find out that people pronounced it Fee, especially as it's so harsh on the ear!

Last edited:

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
So it seems like nobody has pronounced Hylia yet. We've got a baby due in October and if it's a girl, we're naming her Hylia (after a beautiful lake where I spent a lot of tone as a kid, as I told my wife) and I'd like to find out how people might pronounce it. I pronounce it phonetically as High-lee-uh. I believe the name is Scandinavian where they might pronounce it with the same technicality with which they pronounce Helga (Uhl-gah). How would you pronounce it?

Also, is Fi being pronounced Fai actually canon? And if so, where is this found? I always figured it was pronounced the way Latin would pronounce it, Fai, in Latin meaning trustworthy or faithful, a fitting name for Link's faithful companion. I was surprised to find out that people pronounced it Fee, especially as it's so harsh on the ear!
I've always pronounced it "High-lee-uh"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom