• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Preferred moment to get dungeon item: DURING, like Zelda, or AFTER, like Megaman?

Megaman doesn't exactly have dungeons, but the new item is gained after the boss (because you take it off them).

Zelda, however, places the new item in the dungeon so that you can test it in the lead up to the boss, and then the real test is against the boss.

Which do you prefer and why?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Zelda's Method always seemed rock solid, you got the item midway through the dungeon and then it was incorporated into the dungeon's design making it vital you find the item to succeed, whereas Megaman just kinda gave them as a reward for a boss kill, it just seems like a bonus item.

I think Metroid actually does it best, scatters upgrades and new weapons around the world, some guarded by bosses and some such as missile upgrades are just around for you to find. (I believe Zelda took notes from this or vice versa)

{Edit: also Welcome to the Forums}

This is a difficult question to answer because Megaman and Zelda arent the same kind of game.

Megaman upgrades dont significantly change or interact with the surroundings. You dont specifically need the flame thrower etc to move through levels since you can do them in any order. You dont need them for the bosses either, the upgrades just make some fights easier.

Zelda however is as much a puzzle game as it is an adventure game and certain items will help you solve those puzzles. The second half of a dungeon often acts as a tutorial to prepare you for the approaching fight and overworld exploration, Megaman just doesnt do that (of the ones ive played anyway).

Both ways work for their respective title and work really well, but if you kept the item until the boss is defeated in Zelda then the dungeons would have to be a lot more linear and simpler as would the bosses.

Nintendo would probably then make you work to get out of the dungeon rather than warping out, just so they knew you knew how to use the new item.

Last edited:
I like how Zelda does it by incorporating the items into the design of the dungeons. I love Mega Man and it does do this to an extent, but the designs of the games does limit what you can do somewhat. I would love even more if Zelda could take a more Metroid style exploratory approach though. But each game has their own styles that work for them!

MW7

I think the earlier you obtain items, the better. I'd prefer Zelda's system to Megaman, but more specifically I liked A Link Between World's system of giving you access to almost all puzzle-solving items at once. This allows the game to have all sorts of puzzles anywhere without the risk of stopping the player's ability to progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom