• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Possible timeline locations for BotW

So I have a Theory for where the location of BotW takes place in the timeline, Either after Adventure of Link, or Four Swords/Hyrule adventure

Let me explain, It's essentially impossible for it to be on the adult timeline for multiple reasons, in the adult era timeline, a hero never shows until WW, in WW the master sword is sealed in a built up temple of time, the Hero of time was still remembered in WW when the great flood happened and many still remembered the story of what happened (or so I may be assuming) and it cannot be set after WW, but those reasons are obvious so i won't go into detail. Oh also, we know now that Link has been asleep for a very long time in BotW, so if it was the adult era timeline Hyrule would have been destroyed by the ocean or still under the ocean.

It's most likely on the child era timeline simply because the mention of the provinces and how wide spread Hyrule once seemed to be in BotW. Also the master sword is shown to have been sealed in a grove, which it was in TP and at the end of TP.

I feel it also can't be prior to TP because of the Hero's Shade, in between OoT and TP there were no worthy descendants that he could teach his Swordsmanship to until TP link, so I feel that TP link was the first Reincarnation since OoT Link in the child timeline. Now, Ganon was also killed in TP and so far in the timeline he [Ganon] gets reincarnated in Four Swords adventures and is sealed away. We know something happened in BotW's history for Ganon to become Calamity Ganon, like forcing his way out of the seal or something

Now I also believe it could be set after Zelda II, considering the official timeline states that Ganons revival was prevented, but again for how long and in what way? And could something have happened to cause link and Zelda to put themselves to sleep for the presumably 100 years in BotW.

Also the biggest clue to it being in the fallen hero timeline is the grove that we see the rusted master sword in looks way more like the one from a link to the past, though that's far fetched and less likely.

Those are just my two theories...Oh and it cannot be anywhere before OoT, because so far, every Ganon is either a reincarnation of OoT Ganon, or OoT Ganon himself, and we don't see ganon anytime before OoT on the timeline, and considering it's pretty much established that the Hylians knew of ganon prior to BotW and the shieka tech, it's unlikely it's before OoT

Just because a hero didn't appear before the Great Flood does not mean there wasn't one... there was a Zelda at that time, and Hylia's sacrifice made it so that there would be both she and her chosen hero would be reborn whenever Hyrule was in danger, so it's safe to assume that there was a Link at that time as well, and something must have happened that prevented him from confronting Ganon.
The fact that we currently know next to nothing about what was happening during that time would make it extremely easy to make additions to the timeline there without conflicting with established lore, and this could include a timeline splitting event with a failure/success outcome... the Great Flood, WW, etc. being the failure outcome... and BotW potentially being the success outcome.

BREAKING - new screenshots so human NPCs. Lots and lots of pointy ears. Late downfall timeline seeming less likely...

Adult or child timeline would not make sense because it is said how Ganon has come to attack Hyrule many times. The only timeline where this is the case would be the downfall one. That said if it were child or adult timeline it would have to be waaaaaay into the future. It's more than likely downfall though in my opinion.

Adult or child timeline would not make sense because it is said how Ganon has come to attack Hyrule many times. The only timeline where this is the case would be the downfall one. That said if it were child or adult timeline it would have to be waaaaaay into the future. It's more than likely downfall though in my opinion.
BotW introduces three more appearances of Ganon into whatever timeline it falls in alone... there could have been many more before that which haven't been depicted in a game (yet), so that quote is irrelevant to working out the timeline placement.

Now that I think of it Princess Ruto from OoT is talked about in the Zora lore in the Domain text walls in this game. There was something about how she helped the hero of that time and Zoras honor her to this day etc. This would imply an adult or downfall timeline then? This fact would rule out child timeline because in that line Link technically did not do anything other than warn Zelda.

Lol we are probably way over complicating this. Nintendo probably doesn't pay too much attention to this sort of thing so I imagine.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I'm not throwing my hat into the pile here as far as where I think Nintendo's going to place it. I simply want to point out that I think that this brings into focus my feelings about the series as a whole. I've talked about this in the thread about Death Mountain's location but I think that the Legend of Zelda is an actual legend. By which I mean that somebody in WW talking about the events of The Minish Cap would speak in generalities about events and specifics would likely be not only inaccurate but also unnecessary. In the same way, a person in BotW might say of the events of OoT: "Link went to Death Mountain and fought Herudo before defeating Ganondorf." whereas another might say: "Link visited Lon Lon Ranch and collected the spiritual stones before defeating Ganondorf.". Yet another might focus on the time travel aspect. The point being, while I love the story in Zelda, I think the specifics are the least important and accurate parts of legends. It's the overarching themes that actually speak the truth about the story, specifics change and shift. So in BotW, all of these names of places and references to games that don't fit timelines are a commentary on the necessity of seeing the big picture of the games instead of taking the myopic view. I don't even think that the timeline is necessary, especially as exemplified by BotW, because it IS The Legend of Zelda. *end opinion*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom