• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Order of popularity?

What would you predict is the "order of popularity" of the 6 3D Zelda games?

To be clear, I don't mean your best to worst list. I mean, most popular to least popular.

Here's what I would guess:

1 - OOT (It's seen as a classic by most)
2 - MM (It has many, many fans)
3 - BOTW (Seems to be going down well with people a lot)
4 - TWW (Maybe controversial at the time, but it still seems quite popular to me)
5 - SS (Divided fans it seems)
6 - TP (Still a popular game by all means, but maybe the one with the least fans? I dunno)

That's what I'd guess anyway, but I could be way off... What do you think the order would be?

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I think it's a toss up on whether OoT will remain #1 or if BotW will overtake it. Both are games taking the series in a new direction.

I can't say for sure how MM, WW or TP will rank, but I do think SS will be the lowest ranked simply because so many fans were put off by the motion controls.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
From posts on this forum and others I'd say it's along the lines of
OoT
TP
MM/TWW
SS

BotW it's still very hard to say.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
With hardcore fans, I believe OoT is number one. This might be a stretch because it's just been released, but I think BotW has already made second place with fans. After that, I'd go with WW, as its art style sticks out among the other games. MM ties for third in my opinion, as it seems to be a fan favorite but it not necessarily the "popular" Zelda game. It's not exactly a hidden gem, but it's a game I feel gets overlooked by more casual fans.

Then I'd say SS. It gets a lot of praise for the story. The gameplay is debatable but I think it's generally liked.

And lastly, TP. A bad game by no means, but it's definitely the 3D Zelda that gets the most hate.

For what it's worth, here are the IMDB scores for each:

OOT - 9.7
MM - 9.1
TWW - 9.1
TP - 9.2
SS - 8.6
BOTW - 9.8

What would you predict is the "order of popularity" of the 6 3D Zelda games?
Are you talking the general community or the hard Zelda fans as I think they give different answers.

Also this changes over time. At release Wind Waker was hated by a lot of people. As was Majora's Mask. But today both games are liked by many people. So I will give my opinion on this based on how the hard Zelda fans think of these games today (not when they were released).

1. Breath of The Wild
2. Wind Waker
3. Majora's Mask
4. Ocarina of Time
5. Twilight Princess
6. Skyward Sword

Is the Wind Waker hot garbage? I think so but most Zelda fans disagree with me, hence that's why it is No.2 on my list.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1 OOT- This is certainly the most popular in the series. Even people who aren't Zelda fans tend to love this one.

2 TP- It is the second bestselling 3D Zelda. You hear some vocal haters but there were so many people that played this game and loved it that these haters would seem insignificant. TP was a game for the mainstream and was again a game that non Zelda fans were interested in.

3 BoTW - I have put this here for now. I know a lot have jumped on the 'Best Zelda Ever' bandwagon and this happens every time a new one is released, even for Suckwars Sword, criticizing after release was something you couldnt do without some people threatening to burn your house down. Because of all the people on that bandwagon the level of popularity seems very high for BoTW right now. Will it last? Hard to answer.

4 WW - About half the number of OOT buyers bought this so already it had become less popular than that. Many loved the new direction and many hated it. At least in the Zelda community most seem tolerant of it now. Outside of that you won't hear it mentioned.

5 MM - Even less popular than Wind Waker. Not that it had many haters just less people were interested in and bought it.

6 SS - It seemed popular at release. Better than OOT! Finally dethroned the king....Yeah right. It was much less popular than TP to begin with as only half the number of people who played TP actually bought it. And today it is one of the most disliked (deservedly so) 3D Zelda in the community. Anyone outside the community either hasn't played it or doesn't talk about it.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
With hardcore fans, I believe OoT is number one. This might be a stretch because it's just been released, but I think BotW has already made second place with fans. After that, I'd go with WW, as its art style sticks out among the other games. MM ties for third in my opinion, as it seems to be a fan favorite but it not necessarily the "popular" Zelda game. It's not exactly a hidden gem, but it's a game I feel gets overlooked by more casual fans.

Then I'd say SS. It gets a lot of praise for the story. The gameplay is debatable but I think it's generally liked.

And lastly, TP. A bad game by no means, but it's definitely the 3D Zelda that gets the most hate.
I think SS gets the most hate by far. I think MM/TWW/TP can be rearranged anywhere in the middle of the list and you'll probably be somewhat accurate, and OoT would be at #1 and SS at the bottom. Again I think it's too early to evaluate BotW. My guess would be it'll sit at #2 at the very least in terms of popularity when all is said and done, and will fight for the #1 spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom