• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Number of dungeons speculation after latest trailer/story details.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
Who is to say that 4 main dungeons all? It could be that there are 4 other dungeons prior to the giant mechas required to complete. Like, a dungeon key. Having to beat the Water dungeon to get the Desert key. Having to beat a fire temple to get the Forest dungeon key. Could add 4 more dungeons that way. Something that makes it so you can't just walk up to the mecha camel and go inside. Maybe...

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Who is to say that 4 main dungeons all? It could be that there are 4 other dungeons prior to the giant mechas required to complete. Like, a dungeon key. Having to beat the Water dungeon to get the Desert key. Having to beat a fire temple to get the Forest dungeon key. Could add 4 more dungeons that way. Something that makes it so you can't just walk up to the mecha camel and go inside. Maybe...
If they did that, it would defeat the purpose of the open-world nature of the game. They designed it so you can do things in whichever order you wish. Other dungeons would be fine, but requiring them first wouldn't work with the direction they're taking this game.

Scribear

Your Best Friend (rupee free)
If they did that, it would defeat the purpose of the open-world nature of the game. They designed it so you can do things in whichever order you wish. Other dungeons would be fine, but requiring them first wouldn't work with the direction they're taking this game.
That makes perfect sense!

The plot thickens...

Then you haven't seen much.

I am just going off the pics from the wiki. Look at all the screen shots and tell me those look completely different.

I mean there are some subtle differences, but I hope that they are more varied as you progress.

I'm going with 6 dungeons, one in each province: Faron, Eldin, Lanayru, Necluda, Hebra, and Altun. Maybe Hyrule also. These provinces are going to be massive. Without a dungeon, I don't know what they would put in its place in that province. I do believe the four animals will be of significance to four dungeons, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are two more (just as large or smaller). I'm surprised people aren't buying the province theory at all on the map. If I go to Altun for example, I better feel like I'm going there for a purpose and the end result in that province should be very rewarding.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm going with 6 dungeons, one in each province: Faron, Eldin, Lanayru, Necluda, Hebra, and Altun. Maybe Hyrule also. These provinces are going to be massive. Without a dungeon, I don't know what they would put in its place in that province. I do believe the four animals will be of significance to four dungeons, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are two more (just as large or smaller). I'm surprised people aren't buying the province theory at all on the map. If I go to Altun for example, I better feel like I'm going there for a purpose and the end result in that province should be very rewarding.
Maybe we'd be going there as part of the story. I imagine we'd have to travel all the way around the world to discover the full story. There are at least 18 memories to recover, iirc, so they're probably spread out across all the provinces. Maybe instead of dungeons, we'd be going on quests related to the story?

They all have unique designs and puzzles sometimes using elements like water and making use of the runes. That's what you were referring to, yeah?

No, they all have the same grey and blue interior. I mean a simple tile change would suffice (there are 120 after all). But I would think these shrines could be taken further, such as being more organic or elemental.

No, they all have the same grey and blue interior. I mean a simple tile change would suffice (there are 120 after all). But I would think these shrines could be taken further, such as being more organic or elemental.
How do you know they will all look the same? Yeah, the 3-4 we saw in the videos look similar (not sure if all in great plateau), but I find it hard to believe they all will look the same. You'd think more will be unique/different further along you get into the game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
@ZeldaOOT said it all. Also, that's just the Sheikah tech style. Even the dungeons, from what we've seen, have that flair. They're also designed that way so that you can't climb the walls inside them.

This does not mean you can beat the final boss. He didn't say if you could beat the final boss right away, he only said you can go to him right away.

Yes, this is very important part of his statement that a lot of people seem to overlook.

It seems kind of weird to fight your way into something that is already active, just to go in and then come out and fight it again. :/

I don't think that you take them down both from the inside and outside. It's one or the other. I don' think you will first somehow manage to get inside of the mechanical beast, and then when you have beaten "the dungeon" on the inside, come out and face it on the outside. You either take it out on the outside or on the inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
So after a recent interview with Aounuma, we more or less have a clear idea of how things will be going down.

• 120 shrines.
  • All shrines will have the same visual style/palette to them (No forest shrines, sorry guys)
  • Shrines vary vastly in length. Some are short one room puzzles, others are longer chains of puzzles, and others are others are designed like traditional dungeons, complete with a boss at the end.
  • Some shrines are puzzle focused, some are combat focused, and some are in presumably in between.
  • There are 4 mechs in the 4 corners of the world: a bird, a salamander(?), an elephant (yet to be seen), and a camel.
  • It is debated how these will be taken out. The two prominent theories are first that you will find a way inside and take them out from the inside as a dungeon, and the second is that you will take them out SotC style from the outside and then take on their corpses as a dungeon.
  • There are enemy encampments in the environment of varying levels of detail, some of which are longer and may possibly be seen as "minidungeons" by some.
  • There are NO indications of large scale dungeons that are not shrines or mechs.

HeroOfTermina

Obsessively checking this forum since 2015
So after a recent interview with Aounuma, we more or less have a clear idea of how things will be going down.

• 120 shrines.
  • All shrines will have the same visual style/palette to them (No forest shrines, sorry guys)
That sounds like it will become dull fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom