• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Number of dungeons speculation after latest trailer/story details.

After the latest trailer and potential backstory revealed for Breath of the Wild, what do you think the dungeons will be like aside from the 100 rumored shrines? I still don't like hearing the four main dungeon speculation. I know that was a rumor a long time ago, but why is that still coming back now?

Given what's revealed, there has got to be more than four given the locations revealed in the trailer. Gerudo Valley/Dessert, Ice Ruins, Death Mountain, a Jungle, Forest, some random area that looks like a dungeon as Link is parachuting down in a canyon, and other unknown areas shown. We know there'll be a Lake Hylia (was that in trailer? couldn't tell). Zoras and Gorons are revealed as well. Deku Tree is revealed. Every major area of the map has got to have some purpose to it, dungeons making the most sense especially when the map is insanely large.

Thoughts?

The four main dungeons keeps coming back because of the four giant guardians which are most likely dungeons themselves.

A bird -sky/snowpeak
A lizard -death mountain
An elephant -forest (uncertain)
A camel -desert

We've seen all but the elephant guardian. Most speculate that we'll have to take them down from the inside (dungeon section) and then fight them as a boss.

And i imagine each dungeon will be themed to its location. These four guardian dungeons are also probably linked to the four pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle.

Aside from Shrines there'll probably be caves etc which feel like dungeons.

The four main dungeons keeps coming back because of the four giant guardians which are most likely dungeons themselves.

A bird -sky/snowpeak
A lizard -death mountain
A camel -desert

We've seen all but the elephant guardian. Most speculate that we'll have to take them down from the inside (dungeon section) and then fight them as a boss.

And i imagine each dungeon will be themed to its location. These four guardian dungeons are also probably linked to the four pillars surrounding Hyrule Castle.

Aside from Shrines there'll probably be caves etc which feel like dungeons.
So no water temple? With Zoras revealed in trailer? There can't be a Zelda game without a water temple. There's got to be more dungeons (large or perhaps smaller) aside from the shrines and supposed 4 main dungeons.

So no water temple? With Zoras revealed in trailer? There can't be a Zelda game without a water temple. There's got to be more dungeons (large or perhaps smaller) aside from the shrines and supposed 4 main dungeons.

There probably will be but the four guardian dungeons will probably be tied to the main story.

Things like zora/water dungeon will probably be a thing but probably be entirely optional since you can go to Ganon straight away.

A bird -sky/snowpeak
A lizard -death mountain
A camel -desert
Just like in Zelda 1.

Level 1 - Eagle
Level 2 - Moon
Level 3 - Manji
Level 4 - Snake
Level 5 - Lizard
Level 6 - Dragon
Level 7 - Demon
Level 8 - Lion
Level 9 - (Death) Mountain

Calamity Ganon - That is similar to level 9 2nd quest which had a map of Ganon's face. Level 9 in the 2nd quest was literally Ganon with Ganon as the boss too.

I thought along these lines about a week ago and shared my thoughts on it.
http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/threa...xt-on-the-back-of-the-map.58560/#post-1073027

I'm glad that you came to the same conclusion that I did.

It doesn't just keep coming up because of the 4 mechanical giants, but because basically every part of the rumor those 4 dungeon idea originated from has come true. It is like, the very last part of the rumor that hasn't been confirmed.

So we'll see.

There probably will be but the four guardian dungeons will probably be tied to the main story.

Things like zora/water dungeon will probably be a thing but probably be entirely optional since you can go to Ganon straight away.
I'm hearing you won't be able to defeat Ganon right away since you won't have the things you need to defeat him. Yes, past Zelda games have had optional things you can do, but I have a hard time believing that a large chunk of the game is "optional". Yes, it's an open world with a lot of exploring, but there's a story behind everything and could be related to the main story. I'll be shocked if there's no huge water temple with a game like this.

Last edited:
I'm hearing you won't be able to defeat Ganon right away since you won't have the things you need to defeat him. Yes, past Zelda games have had optional things you can do, but I have a hard time believing that a large chunk of the game is "optional". There's a story behind everything and could be related to the main story. I'll be shocked if there's no huge water temple with a game like this.

Aonuma was vague. He said you can go to the final boss but you'd miss out on story.

Most of the runes seem to be in the great plateau so maybe theyre all you'll need. Though it probably will be next to impossible.

Im sure you'll get the dungeons you want in BotW, dont worry.

Aonuma was vague. He said you can go to the final boss but you'd miss out on story.

Most of the runes seem to be in the great plateau so maybe theyre all you'll need. Though it probably will be next to impossible.

Im sure you'll get the dungeons you want in BotW, dont worry.
I hope you're right, I think we all want as much as possible though as dungeons have always been the main part of past games. Also, every Zelda game allows you to expand heart health (assuming two large rows of hearts), so I'd imagine there are pieces of heart in this game and whole heart pieces in several dungeon like places.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Four dungeons. This is needed for five reasons
1) they weren't actively working on the game for 5+ years believe it or not
2) open world is taxing on Wii U hardware
3) open world is HUGE
4) backstory

I personally think the game will have 4 main dungeons. 100 optional shrines is such a massive undertaking that I doubt they made more. They probably decided to focus on having a meaty world and side content compared to previous games.

4 Main dungeons doesn't seem like a lot. But almost every game has a set of 3 dungeons, followed by another set of dungeons.

I'd like 9 main dungeons....

4 random temples somewhere in the world.
The 4 giant guardians, as dungeons themselves.
And some final dungeon.

As for mini dungeons, that's where the shrines come in, although I think 100 shrines is a ridiculous amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom