• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

No Game Will Ever Top the Legendariness of Ocarina of Time Will It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Umm... ahem:
View attachment 29553

And I'm saying this even though Ocarina of Time (along with Majora's Mask) was my first Zelda game. It will always hold a special place in my memory (again, along with MM; I played them both at the same time so they have both cemented into my mind as the definitive Zelda experience). But as far as how great and legendary the game itself actually is, SS is much more so to me now.

But I understand why so many people hold OoT in such a high regard. It did wonders for the gaming industry, and in fact is still the game I refer to when I try to get other people into the series. And on its own basis is still a legendary title. I just believe SS has now outclassed it.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I don't believe Ocarina of Time is the most legendary Zelda game. In my eyes, A Link to the Past and Twilight Princess are better deserving of this title. A Link to the Past is the definition of Zelda to me. And Twilight Princess, it just felt epic more than anything else to me.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I believe that OoT, while it is my favourite Zelda game along with MM, is starting to show its age. It was a revolutionary game for the video game industry...14 years ago.
Sure, a lot of Zeldas borrow from OoT's past success, but the point is that what was successful 14 years ago may no longer be successful today. Take the combat system in MM, WW, TP, and SS for instance. I'm talking about targeting and various types of sword slashes. It's basically derived from OoT, although SS revolutionized this, allowing for almost 1:1 motion controls with the sword. However, the camera control has practically remained the same: just centering the camera behind Link (exceptions: WW, GC version of TP).

Wow, this thread is great. I love how no one has come on here and bashed this person for being one of the many OoT fanboys or anything. I thought it was one of the best games ever and remains my favorite Zelda game, but I would never post anything like this for fear of being ridiculed. Kind of like I can never say anything positive about Final Fantasy VII (as it's my favorite all-time game) on FF boards for fear of being called a fanboy (and all-the-while most of those people are as bad about 6 as most are about 7). Don't know if that got my point across, but kudos for being the more mature fanbase.

Anyways, of course I think there will be a game to match OoT's legendary status. If I didn't think so, I probably wouldn't play them.

Wow, this thread is great. I love how no one has come on here and bashed this person for being one of the many OoT fanboys or anything. I thought it was one of the best games ever and remains my favorite Zelda game, but I would never post anything like this for fear of being ridiculed. Kind of like I can never say anything positive about Final Fantasy VII (as it's my favorite all-time game) on FF boards for fear of being called a fanboy (and all-the-while most of those people are as bad about 6 as most are about 7). Don't know if that got my point across, but kudos for being the more mature fanbase.

Anyways, of course I think there will be a game to match OoT's legendary status. If I didn't think so, I probably wouldn't play them.

FF6 is da best......there happy now :). I try to respect other peoples perspective of their favorite game in the franchise. Even though dat OoT is epic. Just remember love and understanding are the same <3.

That's perhaps what I love most about Zelda Dungeon: its members are generally thoughtful and considerate, even during debates (which happen often). It's not just some site on the internet where everybody takes shots at the latest noob. There's actually something floating around on the air, and I think it's called respect.

I still want to play Final Fantasy VII, though. The only Final Fantasy game I've played is Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates, which isn't exactly representative of the series. Might as well introduce myself to the series by the game that revolutionized the genre.

A lot of people will say that it all ready has been. But in my opinion, it's the greatest video game ever made and I don't think that any game will ever be quite like it.

Before I go any further, I got to say that I played the games in the following order: OOT - ALTTP - TMC - LA - MM - SS - TP.

Now, my ranking of the games: OOT - MM - SS - TP - TMC - ALTTP - LA

As you can see, my first Zelda game is still my favorite game, not only of the franchise but of all time. It's very hard to be objective about the game that changed your life. You can't separate the game from that happy times of your childhood, when you had all the time in the world to explore the game's world and no significant responsibility to pull you back from Hyrule. I lived that world. I felt it. I know every inch of it as if I've been there. I can't say that about the other games. Everything has a context and you just can't erase those great memories. At least I can't do it.

I think that is so because when you analyze the first game that you played, you do it with the eyes of you as a child. When you analyze the most recent games, you do it with a more cynical and critical approach. As you grow old, you tend to hold on to the things that you loved when you were young. Your first love touches you like no other love. It may not be the one that stays for the rest of your life, but it is the one who changes you the most. I think that's the case with Ocarina. I feel like I grew up with that game, which is something I don't feel about the others. On an intelectual level there is no doubt in my mind that Majora's Mask is the best game in the series. It has more creativity in that game than in most franchises collectively. Still, it's not Ocarina of Time. It has a mix of emotions that surpasses everything I've ever seen in a videogame, but it lacks the unique magic that makes Ocarina of Time the best game of all time. It's an unfair fight, really. It's one that no Zelda game can win.

So yes, the first Zelda game you ever played is most likely to be your favorite and IT'S OKAY.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
It depends on what you consider "Legendariness". If your talking about reviews and praise than no, but there's a reason for that, the gaming world was smaller back than and OOT was the first 3D Zelda game. If your talking about gameplay/general structure wise than every game after it has surpassed it. However, in the defense of the latter, that's just how I feel about Zelda. Every new game is better than the last, this includes the "holier than thou" Majora's Mask (I'll never understand why that game is held on such a high pedestal).

Maikeru

Piper of Time
The way I see it, there is a big difference between 'legendary', 'best' and 'favorite'. Legendary refers to the revolutionary aspect of the game, best refers the most well made and favorite refers to personal preference. Now, I'm just going to cancel out the entire idea of 'best' because there's just too many ways to look at that. I don't believe in 'best', especially in cases like this. Onto the topic at hand, while I do prefer Majora's Mask and A Link to the Past over Ocarina of Time while also putting Skyward Sword on its level as my 'favorite', as far as I'm concerned, Ocarina of Time still has that legendary status for its innovation, its revolutionary ideas. Sure, we could sit here and argue that if it wouldn't have been Ocarina of Time, it would have been something else, but the point is, it is Ocarina of Time.

Ocarina of Time took a huge leap forward from its predecessor and in the gaming world in general, which I feel is really the key idea behind deciding whether its legendary. Before Ocarina of Time, the most recent Zelda game had had dungeon crawling across a 2D Map with a pixelated Link. It didn't have all these open world, 3-D details, it was just a what it was. Then you got Ocarina of Time which changed things entirely. It was an entire large 3-D World with many different innovations. No longer did you just pull out a musical instrument and it automatically play you a song, in Ocarina of Time, you actually had to learn the song and play it. This feature has been used in every Zelda game that I've played since then. While I'm not really into the way certain games have done it, it's still a feature that is used and has been used since Ocarina of Time.

Ocarina of Time used the ideas from A Link to the Past and put them in 3-D. Why isn't A Link to the Past considered the most legendary? Well, really it is still a pretty legendary game. The leap forward from Adventure of Link to A Link to the Past is just lesser than the leap between A Link to the Past/Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time. You not only got to control the way your character moved in three dimensions in a smooth way, but you also got to ride a horse. You got to ride it in three dimension and control its movements. This way of riding a horse has been used in several Zelda games sense then. Let's also consider the games set up. In my opinion, its story is not as good as Majora's Mask and a couple of other titles, but what it does have is variety. It has more than just good gameplay and good story, it appeals to a very wide audience. Where other games in the series tried to put a focus more on certain things, Ocarina of Time found a general appeal to the majority of gamers of that time.

If you play games today, you will find that some of these ideas are used in games, even outside of the Zelda series. Look at the Darksiders series for a second and the way they use their horse. It's pretty much a carbon copy of the way Ocarina of Time used Epona, except that in Darksiders the horse arises from the ground instead of running to you. Zelda also epitomized the idea for 3-D dungeons and puzzles with Ocarina of Time. Those ideas are used in many games to this day. Think about Guitar Hero for a second. While I don't know if their inspiration came from Zelda or not, whatever did spark their idea, was probably from something that originated with Ocarina of Time's ocarina playing system. It also goes without saying that Ocarina of Time gave us a big leap forward into the 3-D world.

As I said before, I prefer Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time personally and feel the way they used time, side quests and the way they combined them is underrated. However, Ocarina of Time really just gave us a leap into the future, to the realm of 3-D. Its features are used in many games today, not just in the Zelda series, but in many Adventure games. Can its legendary status be taken? Perhaps, but it's going to take a whole heck of a lot to do that. Who knows, maybe the Zelda series could be the first one to send us into a virtual world. That sounds like it would be pretty revolutionary to me.

The golden age of gaming at is over (nes-n64 era) and I think OoT takes the spot for the best game from 2000 and back. It's still my personal favorite but it's really hard to compare it to modern games directly. PS1 and N64 games were ambitious and most are hard to play nowadays because the graphics look god awful, they don't hold up like 8 and 16-bit games. 3D was often done poorly, just look at the original Tomb Raider where you were basically on a grid, it was great then but hard to play now. That being said the N64 Zelda games still look decent enough today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom