• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Navi, agent of evil or loyal companion?

Is navi an evil fairy working for Ganondorf?

• Yes sir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah fam

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • I don't care, she is annoying either way

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Grilled Chez...

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
So I have been thinking a lot about Navi recently. The question that surfaced right away was, "Where did I put that grilled chez?" The next thing I asked myself while I was happily eating my grilled chez was, "what did Navi do while Link was asleep in the temple of time and how does she know so much about the various enemies that you face in Oot?"

Well, I think that the questions have a lot to do with each other. There are really two theories that are credible imo here.

1. While link was asleep, Rauru, the Sage of Light, sent Navi to scout out the challenges that Link would face when he woke up. She had 7 years to do so, so she had plenty of time to study the various monsters and find their weak spots and so on. At the end of 7 years, she returned, ready to assist adult Link on his journey.

And the second one:

2. Navi is an agent of darkness sent to spy on Link and report to Ganondorf his progress. (This would explain her knowledge of the enemies) As she travels with Link, he begins to grow on her. She begins to root for him. When they face Ganondorf, however, she flees at first because she is afraid of his wrath. This is why she cannot help you in the first part of the Ganondorf fight. She collects herself and joins in the fight later though.

There we go! These are not the only two theories however. Let me know what you think or if you agree with one of these. Commence in discussion!

:bubsy::bubsy::bubsy:

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Seeing as how there is no information as to what Navi did during the 7 years, I don't have any, these are just my theories. :)

These are headcannon then. Though i do subscribe navi is evil for the fact a 7-10 year old should not be running around in a whales gut nor in a volcanic cavern.

There is one very important fundamental flaw to this theory:
Navi could not possibly be in leauge with Ganondorf..
..because he is in leauge with her

If I recall correctly, Tingle believes himself to be the reinarnation of a fairy, so he may be Navi's counterpart in Termina. Therefore, their twisted malevolent schemes in acute synchronization, I'm leaning towards her being a sith lord with a penchant for chaotic madness (maddening chaos?) in order to collect the rupees (souls?) of those poor heroes that answer her call, which suggests the possibility that Ganondorf was nothing more than a pawn in her twisted little game. In other words, the king of darkness was released simply so she could have a better harvest. After all, the great deku tree was perfectly fine until she showed up..

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I disliked Navi, she's annoying, she being actually evil helps vindicate me dislike for her.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I think Navi, as a fairy, possess inherent knowledge about the world. It would be very interesting to delve deeper into the origin of fairies in the world of Zelda (specifically, Kokiri guardian fairies). However, if the Kokiri are the children of the Great Deku Tree, and they are given a fairy from birth, the assumption is that the fairies come from the Great Deku Tree as well.

Because the Great Deku Tree possess great knowledge (being an incredibly old sentient being), it makes sense that (1) he passes on his knowledge to the fairies or (2) the fairies have a natural connection to his knowledge and just "know" these things. Additionally, Navi seemed to be specifically trained to aid Link in his quest.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
the fairies are trained and have a telepathic link to the Great Deku Tree, but the GDT died so she had to go scout the new sprout to re-connect....

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
LOL That last one is actually a pretty sweet theory!

I always figured fairies were eternal beings and just possessed instinctual knowledge of the world. Remember it's Navi who does the Deku Tree's bidding, and all of the Kokori's companion fairies are presumably granted to them by the Deku Tree as well.

There is no evidence that fairies ever have evil inclinations. Mischievous as best. Tatl and Tael hung around with the Skull Kid who's a natural prankster but objected to his behavior once he started going full on freakazoid. Tael only stayed with him because the SK started abusing him.

Zelda fairies seem to be downright benevolent allies - if secretive and flighty - due to them readily healing Link if you catch em first, but they also seem to be highly submissive creatures as well. They don't appear to have any qualms with being shoved in bottles and acting as servants. So if Ganondorf was somehow employing Navi as a double agent he would have to of had some sort of leverage over her. I dunno what that could be.

Also what would form the basis for Ganondorf making Navi his minion? The Dorf didn't even know about Link, and even when he used Link to open the Sacred Realm he just brushed him off as inconsequential. Ganondorf didn't even realize what he was up against until Link started showing up 7 years later and wrecking Ganon's sh*t, so why would he have any motive to make a minion out of Navi?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly

Sure but are those fairies? I mean, yeah "anti" fairy but how do these even come into being? Corrupted by dark magic? Some of them will turn into healing fairies under certain conditions which suggest that they are fairies in some other form and with twisted natures.

These enemies also resemble Bubbles a great deal. Bubbles always seemed to me to be like some sort of undead demon or demonically possessed skull, but perhaps they're a sprite of sorts? IRL there's a fine line between angelic beings like fey and "evil" beings like demons in mythology and folklore anyway. Christianity considers them all to be demonic, while a lot of folklore doesn't exactly depict them as your Disney variety fairies either. Fey, pukas, kitsunes and the like are almost always cast as antagonists or tricksters at best.

Anyway the nature of anti fairies is too dissimilar from fairies like Navi Tatl or Tael. If Navi was that @#$%ed up I think Link would have noticed XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom