• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mobile Ports of Console Games

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I think most of us have experienced a few of these before. Back in the late 2000s/early 2010s, companies thought it was a great idea to port many of their classic games to mobile. It made sense, smart devices were just starting to hit it big, so offering games everyone loves on platforms everyone had was bound to work. Unfortunately most of the time the companies in question didn’t understand how much of a different medium smartphones are and most of them ended up feeling subpar.

So what are your experiences with these? Have you played them at all? Are there any that you thought were particularly good or bad?

Apart from the obvious HD ports of the first three Professor Layton games (and the mobile versions of Minecraft/Terraria if you count those), the only one of these ports that I’ve played is the Christian Whitehead version of Sonic CD of all things. It also happens to be the only Sonic game that I’ve ever finished. I remember it being ok at best, even though it was clearly held back by the fact it was on mobile.

I haven’t really played much mobile that came from console, but there have been a few that I understand were the other way around. Alice Gear Aegis I think it was called was an interesting one, but I only played through one character’s story I believe and never went back to it. I’m not sure which actually came first, but I did play both the mobile version as well as the 3DS version of Liberation Maiden and found they were near identical - unfortunately I can’t seem to find either again. Lastly, not so much a port as a “demake” but I did play the Switch version of Final Fantasy 15 a bit, which seemed to be based off a mobile version, and honestly enjoyed it cutting out a ton of the fat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom