• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

[MEGATHREAD]Beginners Guide to Playing, and Moderating Mafia (+Index, Glossary, FAQs & Discussion)

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
John boy and I were talking about this and it was discussed in the past in the Skype chat but I think it would be a good idea to make it so there is always a normal game being played. So, no bastard games unless there's 2 games going at once. However, with recent thinking, I'm not sure what that all means. Is Tristan's game a normal game? Was my Smash game "normal" enough to count? I'd like to get everyone's opinions on this. Ideally I just want a game that everyone, especially beginners, can feel comfortable with.

A thought I had, perhaps Johnny and I, with maybe help of others, could periodically run games that are simple in format, a collection of beginner games (which would all be open format), and possibly the occasional more difficult game thrown in but all with fairly typical mafia roles. These games would run outside of the queue to always give players an option, flavour could be allowed but no special mechanics. I was thinking of doing it like "Monthly Mafia", which I could start the first one on June 1st. My idea atm is, since everyone knows it's simple, to just have as many people sign up as they want and reveal the format after people stop signing up. That way there's no limit for the people.

I'd like to see other people's opinions on this idea and perhaps other mod volunteers because I feel doing a game every month for half the month by myself could be taxing.

Tagging Johnny and a few others who are active enough I could see them as potential volunteers. Apologies if you want to volunteer and I don't tag you. Of course if your turn comes and you don't have the time you can always ask me or others to take your spot. No one I tag, including Johnny, is obligated to do anything, and this isn't set in stone, just an idea I have.

And perhaps the games won't run every month. The idea is to give an option every month. So anyway.

@Johnny Sooshi
@DekuNut
@Pendio
@Minish_Link
@Libk
@Mellow Ezlo
@Mido

And others, please share your thoughts and if you can help.

Thanks

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
That sounds like a great plan. Our problem has always been numbers, and, as great as games like Sloth Mafia, Spaceballs Mafia, and THEBESTZDMAFIA are, they're not condusive to getting new players, and can be really draining, particularly when we have a lot of them in a row. Same thing when we're full of special-rules games. I loved Overwatch, Smash 2, and Wizard 101, but having all three of those in a row killed my mafia-boner for a little bit. So I think this is a great plan, for both new and returning players.
Also, of course I'd be more than willing to partake in regular game modding (ToS Mafia is gonna be generic as all hell anyways) as well.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Gonna add, not calling the Slothia setup a bastard game, but as of now it really reminds me of how I felt playing THEBESTZDMAFIA with my drunk modifier, hence why I put it in that category.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I think some normal games could be refreshing and even though we know my mod habits can sometimes be slow, I'd always be willing to help out. But if we do that I think we would really have to try and branch out to the rest of the forum/other places to try and get new people in.

Jamie

I think some normal games could be refreshing and even though we know my mod habits can sometimes be slow, I'd always be willing to help out. But if we do that I think we would really have to try and branch out to the rest of the forum/other places to try and get new people in.
I agree. A big part of this has to be trying to get others to join, I'd like to see this section be revitalized. I'm still worried we can't play big games.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I'm still worried we can't play big games.
This is my fear as well. I could try and reach out to paranoia paradise but I'm unsure I'd people would play here. It's a lot slower than what they're used to (with the exception of Aaron) as a big group of them play IRL, abd the group is a Facebook group and usually people are lynched within 24 hours.

Jamie

This is my fear as well. I could try and reach out to paranoia paradise but I'm unsure I'd people would play here. It's a lot slower than what they're used to (with the exception of Aaron) as a big group of them play IRL, abd the group is a Facebook group and usually people are lynched within 24 hours.
These monthly games will be dependent on the mod but if we do it, the first game I'll mod it myself and I'm debating between 48/24 and 36/12 to give that a go for a small game. Might be too fast for this forum though.

We have spruce who is from MU so perhaps I'll invite others from MU

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Sounds like a good idea to me as well. As much fun as I'm having with these recent games, they could scare off potential new players because it's a lot to handle if it's your first game. I also like the idea of revealing the format after there are no more sign ups. Maybe we could do that, and allow people to vote on the type of format they would like to play or the theme of the game. That could give new players more of a decision in the game they would be playing and help it to be a format/theme that everyone likes.

I wouldn't mind helping out with games either. I haven't modded before, but I'll give it a try to help get more players here.

Pen

The game is on!
I definitely like the new beginner's game idea. And of course I'll be up to moderate some of those games. I especially like the idea of finalising the role setup after the sign-ups are done. Hopefully this will bring some new faces to the Mafia sub-forums.

Mido

Version 1
As far as beginners games go, I've been an advocate for those for a long time now, although in recent times I've put it aside due them potentially stifling the queue if users didn't want to host them since the last technical one was Beginner's Mafia 8. Overall, I like the plan.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I think what this subforum needs is more promotion; Shoutbox headers, public discussions, etc. I feel like a lot of people just scroll past this subforum without even a second glance to see what mafia is because it's not promoted anywhere on the site. I've noticed that it's only been the same group of ten or eleven people who have been signing up for games lately and nobody else. These "normal" games are a good idea, but without proper promotion, nobody new is going to come to this section.

That being said, I like the idea, and I'm down to moderate a few of these games. But let's not start doing them until we know that new people will actually join them so that the games on the queue that people have been waiting to moderate don't suffer from inactivity, because that's what always happens when we run more than one game at a time.

Jamie

I think what this subforum needs is more promotion; Shoutbox headers, public discussions, etc. I feel like a lot of people just scroll past this subforum without even a second glance to see what mafia is because it's not promoted anywhere on the site. I've noticed that it's only been the same group of ten or eleven people who have been signing up for games lately and nobody else. These "normal" games are a good idea, but without proper promotion, nobody new is going to come to this section.

That being said, I like the idea, and I'm down to moderate a few of these games. But let's not start doing them until we know that new people will actually join them so that the games on the queue that people have been waiting to moderate don't suffer from inactivity, because that's what always happens when we run more than one game at a time.
Inactivity has never been a problem because of running multiple games. We used to run 2 20 person games at once and they were plenty active. Inactivity is a problem because people get bored with particular games, because they are too slow or they don't like the format. If you can't handle playing 2 games at once, then don't sign up. It's simple.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I do think Tristan has a point though. We need to promote this section a bit. Maybe if we can get a header up every time a new signup opens up, more people would be interested in looking into joining since it's right there at the top of the site. That way when new members join, they see that and the SB and say "That looks like something that'd be fun to do" and post in the thread asking to join.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom