• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Majora's Mask Moon Children

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Moonchildren.png

The Moon children are one of the many mysteries or Majora's Mask. They appear in the moon, on a field with a single tree in the center. Four of them wear the boss remains upon Link's arrival, and they are all running around the tree, while the 5th wearing Majora's Mask is sitting by themselves under the tree.
By playing a game of "hide and seek" with each child, and giving them your non transformation masks, you can receive the fierce deity's mask from the child wearing Majora's Mask. Also worth noting is how they react to being given a transformation mask,
"Not that! Hurry...put it away..."
Now when you complete these games, the children ask for more masks, and then ask Link a question

Odolwa Child: Your friends... What kind of... people are they? I wonder... Do these people... think of you... as a friend?
Now this seems like a pretty straight forward question. It kind of makes me think of the Deku Princess, and the monkeys, or more likely the skull kid, and the giants.

Goht Child: What makes you happy? I wonder...what makes you happy...does it make...others happy, too?
This also seems pretty straight forward as well as far as I can tell. Also it can be attributed to the skull kid, as he caused mischief for the people of Termina, and now Majora's Mask, or the moon child, is pondering about it's actions.

Gyorg Child: The right thing...what is it? I wonder...if you do the right thing...does it really make...everybody...happy?
Now this is what stuck out to me at first. If you do the right thing, does it really make everybody happy?
This immediately makes me think of Mikau. He did what appeared to be the right thing, and tried to save Lulu's eggs, but ended up dying. This can also be attributed to Link who posses as Mikau to keep the band happy.

Twinmold Child: Your true face... What kind of... face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?
This is also an interesting quote. The child refers to Link's face as a mask. Now this can go a number of ways, from how we put on a metaphorical mask when we go out into the world, or maybe Link is asking this question about the skull kid, and the child was just saying what Link was thinking.

Majora Child: ...Everyone has gone away, haven't they? Will you play...with me? You don't have any masks left, do you? Well, let's do something else. Let's play good guys against bad guys... Yes. Let's play that. Are you ready? You're the bad guy, and when you're bad, you just run. That's fine right?

Why these children are asking these questions is also a bit of a mystery. Some say it's to make Link question himself, and maybe weaken his mind, or maybe it's Majora's mask wondering about these things. After being attached to skull kid for a time, Skull kid may have imprinted his memories, and thoughts onto the mask, and it's now curious about things such as what makes one happy vs. what makes others happy.

The Moon children also resemble the Happy Mask Salesman, who has a similar fondness for masks, and making people happy. It could be they are all of the same race.

Last edited:

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
The Zelda series is full of quotes like this. I mean, there are different times during the various games where the writers really make you think about life. It's part of what makes the series great.

But I had never actually considered the Moon Children quotes. They really are something interesting to consider.

The Zelda series is full of quotes like this. I mean, there are different times during the various games where the writers really make you think about life. It's part of what makes the series great.

But I had never actually considered the Moon Children quotes. They really are something interesting to consider.
I love stuff like this. It reminds me of the time stones in OoT and MM. They say some bizarre things sometimes.

I always thought that the majora's mask was like a child that gets upset when it doesn't get it's way (Whitch is why is why it screams and has a temper tantrum when it's losing). Children are always asking questions to others so perhaps that the mask trial quotes are its inocent yet strange questions.

TattooArtist

I'm the B and my boyfriend is the T in LGBT ❤
I think the children are the Skull kid, they ask questions what the skull kid wanted to ask and wants masks so he could over up his identity

Woyogoyo

The Oncoming Storm
I always thought that they were constructs created by Majora, but I never really thought about what they said.

link the cook

link the cooking hero
i really love this game for things like this, it's so mysterious and interpretation-open that you can't help but try to get more and more into it, makes the experience something else entirely and can even be creepy depending on how you look at it.
tho i think that there is a greater force in MM that the mask salesman is hiding from you and that moves everything about the mask. These questions might be tests for link OR for the player himself and how his whole life works, the justice from where you (the player) live ("doing what is right makes others happy?"), if your friends are true to you ("do your friends think of you as a friend?"), that people regarded as "evil" may be just running away from reality or from their feelings - like skull kid - ("when you are the bad guy you just run").
the questions about happiness and the whole mask thing might mean that this game is making an alusion to the player, when playing, you are using Link as a mask, a brave hero , but the player might be just a coward kid or a shy boy and link using masks might be a reference to the player himself hiding behind the "masks" of the characters from his games (like rpgs where you become the character), if what i say is true, this game goes to a whole new level of deep and deserves even more praise from the fanbase because of the genius level analogies. The mask thing might also be for a conecpt similar to the Persona series, in real life you wear masks to hide secrets and feelings and as such no one can know the TRUE you and maybe even you yourself don't know the true side from your persona.
For the making people happy stuff... i guess when you analyse Termina the meaning of these questions becomes really obvious.
I don't have any evidence of this and i do not know if someone said anything about this before but i ultimately think that the kids were talking to the player himself and not link.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@link the cook I can definitely see where you're coming from. The message can be from the Mask Children to Link or to the player, depending how deep you want to read into it.

Now that I re-read this thread, I definitely think it's at least partially referring to the Skull Kid. All the Skull Kid wanted was to make friends, but he ended up hurting people more than anything. It seemed that he was concerned with what other people thought of him, which is why he was such a bully. Maybe he wanted to force people to like him, but inside he wondered if people actually considered him friends or were just pretending to be.

But that can definitely work in a real-life context too, as in, you, the player, do you have real friends? Which is kind of a weird question to ask, but definitely gives you something to think about.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I wouldn't say it's to Question Link himself but rather the Motives behind what he does and why he feels it's the right thing to do, Plus Majora was notorious for all sorts of messed up mind games, look at epona and Deku Link for some quick examples and the torment in Tatl and Tael for a deeper one.

NayruKasai

"Don't take us so lightly."
I always thought that the happy mask salesman went to the moon to get majora's mask and that the kids were like a part of him that he left behind while he was there not just because of the physical similarities but because they ask you if "you too will be a mask salesman". He did say that he went to great lengths to obtain the mask. As for the questions they ask you, maybe they're questions that the salesman once asked himself.
I like the theory of them being figments indented into majora's mask by skull kid. It makes the mask seem less powerful than what everyone makes it out to be.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
What caught my eye was the quote from the Majora kid. He says you can be the bad guy, which is interesting because he could be saying two different things.

*One, he (Majora) believes that HE is the hero and that what he is doing is right. Not just right but noble and even heroic. And that would make you the "bad guy" that has to be chased. Perhaps he saw you as a threat the whole time?

*Two, when he says, "You're the bad guy, and when you're bad, you just run. That's fine right?" He could be referring to himself. Is he saying that bad guys just run? Was your whole entire journey just him trying to escape you? He also says "that's fine right?" which leads you to believe that he thinks that is just his lot in life. There may be deeper meaning behind his words.

The other masked children could just be parts of his thoughts, but I do really like the theory that they are there to dissuade you from your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom