• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mac or PC?

Mac or PC?

• Mac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The never-ending debate of Mac v. PC is now at the Zeldadungeon forums! Where do you stand? Having both a Mac and a PC, I have a long time of experience with both, and my vote goes for the Mac. Everything is so much easier, and, granted, Windows 7 is terrific, it doesn't run well on the computer that I own. Our Mac is super speedy, and it's so organized and everything layout-wise just makes sense. The software is great, too. I love Aperture, and iMovie is perfect for editing. PC's are disorganized, clunky, and mine is just slow and crashes a lot. Also, Windows customer service isn't the best.

PC. Mac is for people who just want to surf the Internet (and have tons of money), PCs are for people who actually want to do things on it. That's how I see it.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
The Mac, in my opinion, has never been anything but a watered-down version of the PC designed for ease of use. There is really nothing you NEED a Mac for that a PC cannot do. Especially now that Macs use Intel processors.

The Mac has more proprietary hardware, the parts cost more, and it has never been as successful or popular as the Windows PC. Also, on a PC, you've always been able to choose to install an alternative OS like Linux, if you wish. On the Mac, the PPC processor prevented this until recently, unless you had very specialized software. Also, the Mac OS just isn't set up by default to give you as many options as you have on a PC. It may be a little simpler for people who don't want to learn about their computers, but people who actually use their computers for anything meaningful seem to prefer PCs. The only things I've heard of people needing the Mac for are video editing and graphic design, and that's only because there's a proprietary program made by Apple themselves exclusively for the Mac.

The PC also has better support for legacy systems, better business/office applications, and is in general better known and supported by experience. Most environments have deployed PCs, for better or worse, so going with Mac really places you into a smaller, more expensive niche group. I also don't like the way that Apple tries to make their OWN application to cover all the bases, and thus discourages people from using third-party applications on their computer. It's allowed, but still... it's discouraged to some extent by the design of the OS.

Another issue is that I dislike Apple's anti-competitive business practices in general, and feel that iPad/iPhone is a sub-par platform. And on THAT platform, you actually have to hack the system to install third-party applications that haven't been approved by Apple. You can't move your iTunes music to another phone easily, and they try to lock you in. I really don't like Apple's dominance of that industry, so I also think it's a bad idea to support them here.

This is the most ******** debate ever, because it assumes a false dichotomy. A PC is personal computer, which can run anything from Linux to FreeBSD to Windows, or whatever the hell you want.

I don't care much for either Windows or OS X. Both annoy me for numerous reasons, and I just don't see any reason to use them. In some respects, I feel more comfortable using Macs, probably because it incorporates many elements from Unix. For the most part, though, I'd rather use Windows if I had to choose between the two.

OP said:
PC's are disorganized, clunky, and mine is just slow and crashes a lot

I don't like these sorts of arguments, because a PC is as organized or disorganized as you want it to be. How slow it is depends on a lot of things. Also, it isn't fair to generalize all computers that don't run OS X on personal experience, Macs use largely the same hardware since they switched to Intel a while ago. Crashes can be caused by a plethora of things, and Windows when properly configured can be pretty stable.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I disagree with a lot of stuff Apple does with their products. And it seems like most of the price you pay for is just for the name.
They don't really let other companies make hardware for their computers. And those other companies that do need very special licenses that are extremely difficult to get, and usually only for very specific hardware, and usually only one company for certain hardware parts. They're extremely anti-competitive. In a competitive market like this they purposely do things that makes it harder for competing hardware companies to gain ground. With PC, all the companies get a fair and level playing field, best one wins and it's people's choice what's the best, NOT the company that makes the OS. They also have too many gimmick features that, while they sometimes look cool, are not that practical and are prone to failing. A lot of the PC's gimmick features can be turned off and they don't bother with gimmicks in the hardware. Apple loves to have OS gimmicks and hardware gimmicks. There's a reason why PC is at the top of the market. They play fair, and you can get a superior build of PC if you know what you're doing. If your PC isn't stable, it's the choice in hardware in it. That is not the responsibility of Microsoft. They don't involve themselves in the hardware because it's not their place. They let the markets handle it. If you know what you're doing, you can put together a great PC that overpowers any Mac. Macs don't let you do that. It's what they give you or nothing.

The Mac has more proprietary hardware, the parts cost more, and it has never been as successful or popular as the Windows PC. Also, on a PC, you've always been able to choose to install an alternative OS like Linux, if you wish. On the Mac, the PPC processor prevented this until recently, unless you had very specialized software. Also, the Mac OS just isn't set up by default to give you as many options as you have on a PC. It may be a little simpler for people who don't want to learn about their computers, but people who actually use their computers for anything meaningful seem to prefer PCs. The only things I've heard of people needing the Mac for are video editing and graphic design, and that's only because there's a proprietary program made by Apple themselves exclusively for the Mac.
Cool, that's what I was saying. One the one hand, since it's all proprietary hardware, of course it'll be stable. Since they know exactly what they're working with. However, it'll never be as powerful or as affordable as any equivalent PC combination. So yeah, it works for people that don't want to do their research about which parts to get, if they don't mind paying more than they should for it.

Another issue is that I dislike Apple's anti-competitive business practices in general, and feel that iPad/iPhone is a sub-par platform. And on THAT platform, you actually have to hack the system to install third-party applications that haven't been approved by Apple. You can't move your iTunes music to another phone easily, and they try to lock you in. I really don't like Apple's dominance of that industry, so I also think it's a bad idea to support them here.
Ah-ha! I'm not alone in thinking they're anti-competitive. Almost thought I was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom