• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Job Interview Experiences

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
This thread is inspired by a conversation in the shoutbox tonight.

What funny, weird, awkward or notable experiences have you had during a job interview?

I've only personally had one job interview and it was fairly smooth so mine isn't a personal experience. The most notable I know of is when somebody came into work for an interview (fast food restaurant) and stole another customer's food and starting eating it just before his interview. Additionally, his response to "What would you do if a customer brought back fries and complained that they were cold?" was "Charge them for new fries."

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Speaking of Interviews i've had several, mostly group interviews and man some of that stuff is ridiculous ^^, Once had an interview with Pizza Hut and we as a group were asked to build towers out of bits of pasta of course my group had the one dude who didn't want to be there so he just started eating the pasta... it's like what the hell at this point, so we ended up taping it to the side of a desk (bear in mind this meant to stand up vertically with no help) and the interviewer come over and asks to see our tower so the dude shows it then promptly eats the marshmellow on top. I wanted to kill him.

In terms of one on one interviews i've had some good, some bad, the worst one was for a bowling alley that recently opened (a man of many talents am i) and this manager was maybe 16/17 and he's basically taking the piss out of all my qualifications and experiences so i said simply to him that my interview was over thanks for the offer but i didn't want to work for an asshole like you and then i just left....... boy was my advisor pissed at me for that one ^^

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I had many of them. The most weirdest one I had was like two weeks ago. I applied for a temporarely job at a store. When I came to the store to get the interview, it was a mess. People were walking in and out and going to other stores to work. The lady told me I won't get paid till the final day of the job and then the money wouldn't be send to my banking account, which is common over here. They would do the money in a small bag. That was a big no for me. All those months without money? No way dude.
Not to mention the fact they don't pay their employees money for travelling. Her reply: we got many people working over here and if we have to pay them money for all the way coming over here, we will go bankrupt... Dude seriously???

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I haven't had any notable experiences to share with you, but a friend of mine went into a university interview last year and when it was over and it was time for him to leave, instead of saying goodbye to the woman conducting the interview, the words 'I love you' slipped out instead. Fortunately he still got his place, but I certainly wouldn't want to make that mistake in an interview.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I'm one of these boring people who does well in interviews but I did have one group interview (aka hell on earth) and to this day I don't know wtf you're supposed to do in those situations, there's always someone who speaks over everyone else and you want to be noticed but you don't want to appear pushy like those sorts of people. It's so awkward and weird. It's supposed to show teamwork but tbh I don't see the teamwork in a situation where you're literally competing with your 'teammates'

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
When I was 16 I was interviewed for a job at a local theater. While being interviewed the electricity went out briefly. When the electric goes out all the movies being played have to be fixed otherwise they won't resume playing. All the movies were resumed except for one which the workers forgot about. The last part of my interview was to go meet the boss. The manager lead me to his office, we opened the door without knocking and caught him snorting a line of cocaine on his desk. We closed the door real quick. At that point I was like, “look, thanks for the interview, but I'd rather not work at a theater were the boss is snorting cocaine.” Right after I said that people came rushing out of a nearby presentation room demanding they get their money back. The boss heard all the people yelling so he came out of his office (his eyes were bloodshot and dilated, plus he still had cocaine powder on his nose). When the people started telling him they wanted refunds the manager replied with the dumbest response anyone can say in such a situation, he yelled, “I have your money and it's all mine!!!” A man ran to attack him but the boss punched him which started an all out brawl in the lobby area. Luckily I was near the entrance so I got outside. People called the Police, a few people were arrested, including the theater boss (he was charged with assault, and possession of an illegal substance). That poor manager had a nervous breakdown. A majority of people got refunds from what I heard, and the owners hired a better boss to run that theater.

Yeah, it was definitely memorable.

Djinn

and Tonic
I've had lots, most are pretty much the same. Random questions, weird annoying fictional situations that will never come up and how would you deal with them etc.

My most recent interview I mostly just talked about what I have worked on and what little experience I have. But then it shifted over to the interviewer, who was the project lead looking for animators herself. And we got into her history when she told me she worked for MTv in the 90's on the Maxx which was one of my favorite series. Then I just wanted to ask her what working for still relevant 90's era Mtv was like. And if I had ever done that I would throw the fact that I worked for 90's Mtv to basically end any argument I ever get into again. Something like a "Hey....hey....I worked for 90's Mtv....tea that's right, you opinion is invalid."

But for almost half an hour it was talking to her about jobs she had and the industry in general, that was pretty interesting to me at least.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My latest interview....NOBODY SHOWED UP! Needless to say how pissed I was. Now they scheduled it for next tuesday. It turned out the guy is only available at tuesday and friday every week. They just forgot to mention this to me.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
My first job interview was a couple of months after school and I was really nervous. Towards the end, I started losing my composure to the point where I was visibly uncomfortable and stuttering. I've never been like that and I don't know why it had to happen at that specific moment; I still cringe whenever I think of it.

I also once went for a job in the Army and got an interview late last year. I showed up 10 minutes before I was asked to, was in a lobby with no seats with a few others, and over the course of the next 30 minutes, about 50 people floated in. We were kept waiting another 60 minutes before we were let in, and it struck me that employers use some really underhanded tactics in the Selection department. The day only got worse as I had some nasty stomach cramps, and waited about 3 hours after I completed some legal documents before I was called in for the interview. I can only describe the interviewer as a complete knob, as he was really trying to put me off by pointing out every detail of my body language, constantly interrupting what I was saying, and then informing me I was overdressed despite the form clearly stating that I needed to dress for a Formal interview.

Needless to say, I assumed that everybody I'd be placed under would be just as much of an inconsistent thundercunt very bad person taking out their Wife's sexual frustration on their inferiors, and promptly ignored every single attempt to contact me.

Last edited:

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I've had a couple of interviews, all of them pretty boring and standard I suppose. For my most recent job, I was asked an interesting question. "If you had to choose between a circle, a triangle, a square, or a squiggly line, which would you choose and why?"

They liked my answer of a squiggly line, the reason being I like things that are just a little bit different. The interviewer had told me she'd chosen the same but because the line could become any of the other shapes.

Other than that question, the interviewers were pretty straight forward. Why do you want the job? What made you chose xxx company? Why do you think you would be good here, etc.

NayruKasai

"Don't take us so lightly."
I've had a couple. The one for my first job was pretty chill. The chick who interviewed me I already knew and she's not much older than me

My second job I didn't even have an interview. My Ma's friend messaged her on Facebook asking if we wanted to help at the dog tracks his weekend. Ma said no but I said heck yeah. Then she asked if I wanted to have a full time job there when they're in town.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I've had lots, most are pretty much the same. Random questions, weird annoying fictional situations that will never come up and how would you deal with them etc.

My most recent interview I mostly just talked about what I have worked on and what little experience I have. But then it shifted over to the interviewer, who was the project lead looking for animators herself. And we got into her history when she told me she worked for MTv in the 90's on the Maxx which was one of my favorite series. Then I just wanted to ask her what working for still relevant 90's era Mtv was like. And if I had ever done that I would throw the fact that I worked for 90's Mtv to basically end any argument I ever get into again. Something like a "Hey....hey....I worked for 90's Mtv....tea that's right, you opinion is invalid."

But for almost half an hour it was talking to her about jobs she had and the industry in general, that was pretty interesting to me at least.
I lie through my teeth when they give you that "tell me a time you've had to be a leader". Just completely make up a story on the spot lol

Had one interview where they told me I'd have to shave my beard. Respectfully left the interview.

Had one interview where I just talked about cars for 80% of it.

One of my best interviews with with like 6-7 people at once. I was so sure I had the job, they gave me a very thorough tour afterwords, but eventually sent me an email saying the position was closed due to the company becoming slow. Damn.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I haven't had many job interviews myself, but one particularly memorable one was at a Taco restaurant I applied at at the beginning of the summer. I was talking to the employer, and while he was saying stuff to me, my phone rang at full volume, so I swiftly apologized and rejected the call. He starts talking again, and it rings a second time. Worst part? It was my grandma calling both times, and it wasn't even important. To make it even worse, while I was scrambling to reject the call, I didn't turn off the screen properly, and while my phone was in my pocket, I somehow ended up at my music playlist and selected a very vulgar tune. I ended up getting the job (though I left after two shifts because the management was really bad), but it was a very embarrassing interview lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom