• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask I Don't Trust You

Quick thread regarding Majora's Mask.

We all know that a lot of NPC models were reused from OoT for MM to varying surreal and tense effect. Some of them were even bosses who instead of trying to kill us let us rent boats to get to a dungeon to vanquish an evil spirit...

But of all the NPCs that came back, which one(s) did you distrust the most while playing the game?

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't think I distrusted any of them. It was a different game, so in my eyes they were different characters, even though they had the same character models. I was surprised by them, though, like Kotake and Koume. I was surprised to see a boss living peacefully in the swamp, but I didn't distrust them. Like I said, I saw them as different characters who just looked the same.

EDIT: I did distrust the Gorman Brothers, but that was after challenging them to the race. Basically, it was their actions and words that made me distrust them. They seemed shady to me, but not because of the character models.

Last edited:

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I was a bit wary about Kotake and Koume myself, especially after they seemed to have this whole innocence act going on. I also wasn't too fond of Gorman due to the use of Ingo's model.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I was constantly tense when seeing Kotake and Koume, I kid you not. Coming fresh from Ocarina, the only things I could think in my head were things like

"You're here to haunt me again? Haven't you had enough?!"

Yeah. I never trusted K&K (alternate world)...but now I do. I realize they're non-hostile NPCs. :3

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm with Azure on this one- it was a different universe, and they were different people. Just because they looked the same doesn't mean they are the same.

I also distrusted the Gorman Brothers, but that stemmed from their actions and words. Also, I distrusted the Gerudos, but again, that's because of their actions (and I don't even think they were lying, they were simply trying to get me out of their fortress. Nonetheless, I can't trust a person who tries to harm me.)

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
I don't really know why, but I distrusted the chief constructor (I don't remember his name...). It si weird, because he isn't hostile in OoT nor in MM, but I just didn't like his attitude. Maybe it was because from the first day I saw him all like "I don't see anything strange with the moon! The show will go on, because I say so! Now get back to work!", it sounded very suspicious, and for some time I really thought he was going to do something nasty, like not allowing me to escape the Town. I mean, anyone who denies that Termina's Moon looks like a pathological mass murderer has something evil in mind...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I didn't distrust any of them. I knew what was going on with Nintendo even before I read interviews on it: They were short on time so they had to cut corners, which included character designs.

ScouseOctorok

An avid Blue
Don't think there was any real distrust in many, if any, of the characters in MM. The Happy Mask Salesman always seemed like he had an ulterior motive, though. A smile that big can never be fully trusted.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I very much didn't trust those cuccos running around the place. They did horrible, horrible things to me back in Oot; I remember Kakariko Village becoming like a battlefield as they tried their best to murder me, succeeding too. So, didn't trust them at all.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I didn't trust Tatl, mainly for the fact that she was just with us for the purpose of finding her partner Tael, made me shifty about her and to be honest I thought near the end she would turn somehow.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I didn't trust that damned Skull Kid. I knew he was up to no good the moment I saw him!

But, in all seriousness, I didn't really trust Koume and Kotake. I do believe them to be the same creatures from Ocarina of Time, since they share the same names. They could have been putting on some manipulative act to make themselves seem good just so we wouldn't try to kill them. I mean, we don't know what happened to them after Link left Termina. As far as we know, they could have gone on a murderous rampage and killed everybody! How do we know they weren't trying to kill Link by making him take a potion through the Woods of Mystery, in which there are tons of Snappers. Not to mention the fact that they took him to the Deku Palace, even though the King was in an extremely bad mood. Last time I played Majora's Mask, I intentionally drank the Red Potion six times, just to taunt her!

I also didn't trust Romani. I mean, she locked my horse in a cage, and then made me fight with a bunch of potentially dangerous aliens. And all I got in return was a freaking bottle. I mean, I probably could have found one on the Great bay Coast somewhere :dry:

EDIT:
I should probably mention that I also don't trust the Happy Mask Salesman, and still don't. Nobody knows what his true motives are, the reason he was in termina in the first place, and also who he is. We know he bears a striking resemblance to the Mask children on the moon, and we also know that he mysteriously disappears at the end. Maybe he knew the entire time that Link could time travel. Maybe he didn't care about Termina at all, and all he really wanted was his precious mask. But why did he want it so bad? Is he evil? Does he in fact have evil intentions? Who knows!! I don't think I'll ever figure that guy out.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that he looks like Miyamoto. After all, I don't trust Miyamoto much... Aonuma's information is much more credible

Last edited:

CPainter307

Lost Woods Explorer
I didn't trust Tatl, mainly for the fact that she was just with us for the purpose of finding her partner Tael, made me shifty about her and to be honest I thought near the end she would turn somehow.

This is exactly how I felt. I mean, she tried to seal you away in a chamber forever. It was only after she was accidentally sealed in with you that she needed something from you, and that apology later on? Don't get me started.

As far as Kotake and Koume go, I played Majora's Mask before I got to the Spirit Temple (I wasn't very good back then), so they never rubbed me the wrong way until later. In fact, I more often personify them as their Majora versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom