• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors How should the Runes be used in Age of Calamity?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
One of my favorite shots from the trailer was that of Zelda using stasis on a Lynel and seemingly attacking it afterwards.

This got me thinking, and hyping. I loved the runes in BotW and would love to see them used in battle. How do you think, and how do you like, for the runes to be used as a combat mechanic?

This one is tricksy because not every character will be using runes, the Champions probably won't be and while we do see Link use bombs, he doesn't have the Sheikah Slate when he does it.

So I think that the Slate runes will perhaps be a Zelda thing and exclusive to her. There's also a screenshot of her using magnesis, so I'm thinking the Slate just might be her weapon. This doesn't make sense because if I remember rightly, they couldn't get the slate to work correctly in the past. Or rather, they couldn't open Shrines with it, I guess they never outright said everything else on it was buggered.

Anyway, the interview said there'd also be overworld puzzles to solve, I wonder how far they'll go with that because they said HW1 had puzzles and it barely did.

Otherwise, I'd use runes like the items in HW1 where you could cycle through the likes of the bow and boomerang and bombs, but it'd mean everyone needs a Slate.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So I think that the Slate runes will perhaps be a Zelda thing and exclusive to her. There's also a screenshot of her using magnesis, so I'm thinking the Slate just might be her weapon. This doesn't make sense because if I remember rightly, they couldn't get the slate to work correctly in the past. Or rather, they couldn't open Shrines with it, I guess they never outright said everything else on it was buggered.
They did say the other runes were buggered:

image0.png

image0.png

image0.png

Which means it's not entirely consistent with the present day. I wonder how they're gonna play that.... Honestly, it's probably gonna specifically be a gameplay thing anyway so I'm not sure it matters all too much. I'm expecting the runes to not just be Zelda's moveset but also serve as battle items like the bow, bombs, and so on from HW.

They did say the other runes were buggered:
Which means it's not entirely consistent with the present day. I wonder how they're gonna play that.... Honestly, it's probably gonna specifically be a gameplay thing anyway so I'm not sure it matters all too much. I'm expecting the runes to not just be Zelda's moveset but also serve as battle items like the bow, bombs, and so on from HW.

Zelda also says she's "not much use on the battlefield" in BOTW. She's not a fighter but of course it's a Warriors game so I expect they'll make vast liberties with her.
Her throwing giant Sheikah bombs is quite ridiculous, honestly. That's why she had Link as a knight to guard her, as well as Daruk, Urbosa, her soldiers, etc.
But it looks like she's going to use all the runes Link can with the Sheikah Slate. Like I said, it's a Warriors game; I don't count all the gameplay to be canon-consistent/realistic.
Even though the inconsistency bugs me, I hope to see Zelda use more of stasis, maybe even the Hyrule compendium for info, non-aggressive/intellectual stuff that's more with her character. Maybe use some of them to solve puzzles.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Yeah, that definitely has some issues, as Azure said. If I had to guess, I’d say that the gameplay sections aren’t canon, only the cutscenes. Perhaps that could explain some of the inconsistencies? However they handle it, they could certainly make for cool weapons. I wonder what combos they can make with runes.

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
My friend pointed this out:

image0.png

The slate seems to have a weird appendage there in the artwork. In this scene, it's not present...

image0.png

.... But when Zelda is using stasis on a lynel, it's there.

image0.png

That must have something to do with how runes are used here despite them not being aware of them before in BotW. This raises more questions than answers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom