• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important is Memorability?

Mido

Version 1
I've been thinking about this question for a few days in respect to media. In addition to media entities being good or bad, many also at times discuss how memorable something is regardless of its status in the former categories. Take the series Sword Art: Online or Star Wars. Both are very memorable for different reasons. The former grew massively popular and got a ton of exposure, but due to its popularity it received inevitable backlash. Even though the series harbors many glaring flaws with a mixed reception at best, it is still talked about immensely with many a figure on the internet discussing it and its problems among other things. The latter is considered to be a hallmark of cinema with an incredible legacy. The saga is recognizable for almost everyone, fan or not, and is still celebrated immensely (Although granted, its not as if both entities mentioned above are finished products).

Now take something like the New Super Mario Bros. games or the Ratchet and Clank movie. The former games are all very fun, yet simple endeavors; yet they aren't necessarily discussed. As for something like the latter, which did not do very well critically, it is in a similar boat. The movie sort of came, and went. Having seen the movie at this point, while I thought it was fine, it was very by-the-numbers, which lent to its forgettable nature. This all being said:

How pivotal is memorability in the world of media? Is it something that should compromise attempting to be good art form? If so, is it okay to be bad in this respect? Feel free to have a go!

Djinn

and Tonic
Actually it is a huge thing. It makes a difference in the longevity of the story, even Greek myths and Shakespere plays are still commonly remembered in common culture. A lot of ordinary things reference them, and many modern stories, songs etc are drawn directly from them.

Even something viewed negatively has a cultural impact. Mot people have heard of The Room, or Battlefield Earth and love to make fun of them even if they have not seen them. They are there in the memory of society despite being hated. Both these films actually made money based on being terrible in the mids of others who actually went out to see them just to see for themselves how bad they were. Which makes them both do better than a mediocre film that come sand goes without anyone caring.

From a producer standpoint it makes the capability to market it at a later date possible, either through re-release or sequel. Mediocre movies do not get sequels, and musicians that made dull boring music rarely get a chance to record anything else.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It's the most important thing. If the subject is art or entertainment or education, if it is not worth remembering (for its merit) then it was never worth making. If it was made for a quick buck or for attention and it is discarded as soon as it has served its purpose, I believe the term for that is trash. And no self respecting person wants people's garbage to pile up around them.

Incidentally I just watched an in-depth video explaining why the cynical Ratchet and Clank rederp is such a steaming pile of rancid poopoo compared to the original.

Djinn said:
Mediocre movies do not get sequels, and musicians that made dull boring music rarely get a chance to record anything else.
then how do you explain justin bieber and all those resident evil movies? :P

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
then how do you explain justin bieber and all those resident evil movies?

I love those films. No other film series has zombies, mutants and clones with a hot female protagonist and Albert Wesker in it.

As for Bieber. It's not his music, it's his image. All the little girls and their mums fancy Bieber. If we didn't see the singer and just heard the music he would have been gone long ago.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Memorability is extremely important as it is what makes something a part of the collective conscience. And that goes for things that are 'good' as well as 'bad'. It's closely related to iconography. Regardless of it's original meaning and symbolism, if you see a swastika now it is still intrinsically and psychically linked to Nazism, fascism, racism etc. I believe it will always remain that way. Nobody remembers it for 'good' reasons, but it's there. All media works basically the same way in terms of the way we remember things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom