• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How do you feel about this emote being added?

Would you be okay with this emote being added?

• I absolutely could not give less of a **** either way about a single shrugging emote

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I like it

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • I hate it so much that I HAVE to have it gone

Votes: 8 38.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misty

Ronin
Throwing names at people for using emotes?

Or not liking them. It was equitable if not consensual.

So if i understand Deus and Misty, if you like :unu: youre a Nazi,

Of course not. You're absolutely free to hold and cherish your own opinion. And you couldn't be a literal Nazi anyway. However, when in the course of human events, you begin to belittle and refuse the desires of others, blanketly refer to them as stupid or lacking reading comprehension, or just generally deny them the relevancy of their vote, yes, it would be fair to say that a person doing that shares several things in common with a Nazi. Now, I'm not making any value judgement about that, but I do recognize the rest of society seems to find that to be a very bad thing indeed. Thus, I find it relevant to point out to people.

if you dont, youre an intellectual?

No no, you've got it mixed up. The people who like those emotes are the intellectuals. Anyone who votes against them is clearly stupid, apathetic, or lacking reading comprehension. Deus and I are proudly of the lacking reading comprehension, stupid, apathetic lot.

I fail to see the correlation between both of these,

Like Auschwitz, you had to be there to understand the magic.

considering that the memes in those days were propoganda posters depicting Germans as Gorill---OH MY GOD. DONKEY KONG IS HITLER....

Some red pills scratch your throat on the way down.

Apologize to eachother. Have a cookie.

I'll take a cookie, but on the other count, he started it and I ain't sayin' sorry for ma jokes made doing the lord's work.

Reactions: Dio

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The amount of Godwin's law is unheard of.

---

Honestly, even the emote doesn't care to be tossed under quotes any longer.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
We already have to display the shrugging emotion, in a Zelda style too. Since it seems fairly clear that most users don't want to see the old emotes return, is this not sufficient? Perhaps you didn't realise we had this one amongst the ALBW emotes?

EDIT: I'd also like to add that comparing others to Nazi's is in pretty bad taste. Let's see less of that please.

I didn't realize we had this, but this is more of an "I don't know" shrug, I want a sarcastic one.

Of course not. You're absolutely free to hold and cherish your own opinion. And you couldn't be a literal Nazi anyway. However, when in the course of human events, you begin to belittle and refuse the desires of others, blanketly refer to them as stupid or lacking reading comprehension, or just generally deny them the relevancy of their vote, yes, it would be fair to say that a person doing that shares several things in common with a Nazi. Now, I'm not making any value judgement about that, but I do recognize the rest of society seems to find that to be a very bad thing indeed. Thus, I find it relevant to point out to people.

No no, you've got it mixed up. The people who like those emotes are the intellectuals. Anyone who votes against them is clearly stupid, apathetic, or lacking reading comprehension. Deus and I are proudly of the lacking reading comprehension, stupid, apathetic lot.

This never happened. For one, my messages were never even directed specifically at the group that voted to remove them, it was clearly "the average ZDer". I never belittled people for voting against me, I've clarified myself numerous times that my comments were in jest. The only truthful thing is I felt Deus's post could be misunderstood. I made simple jokes about the /average/ ZDer, not just the ones that disagree with me, lacking in intelligence. It was a joke. I didn't mean it. I've said this countless times and yet, you still keep mentioning it over and over again completely ignoring everything I've said except for 2 off handed messages that were made in jest.

As evident by the results of /this/ poll, people did misunderstand Deus's thread; the results are much different. It's not because they are stupid or lack reading comprehension but because many people, including myself, respond to threads and polls without fully reading everything and understanding it because that's the nature of a bulletin board system, people do that all the time. I think there was a common misunderstanding that the poll was too bring back the emotes in large form. Now if you could please stop this strawman argument that I'm "denying people a vote" and think all of the people who disagree with me are stupid when I've clarified numerous times that a. I said that about the average ZDer and b. It was a joke, that would be great. Especially since an admin already told you to drop the nazi comparisons, and you are not.
I'll take a cookie, but on the other count, he started it and I ain't sayin' sorry for ma jokes made doing the lord's work.
I am sorry if my jokes about people being stupid or lacking reading comprehension personally offended you or anyone else on this board. That was not my intention at all. I would like if we could move on from this.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I didn't realize we had this, but this is more of an "I don't know" shrug, I want a sarcastic one.

This never happened. For one, my messages were never even directed specifically at the group that voted to remove them, it was clearly "the average ZDer". I never belittled people for voting against me, I've clarified myself numerous times that my comments were in jest. The only truthful thing is I felt Deus's post could be misunderstood. I made simple jokes about the /average/ ZDer, not just the ones that disagree with me, lacking in intelligence. It was a joke. I didn't mean it. I've said this countless times and yet, you still keep mentioning it over and over again completely ignoring everything I've said except for 2 off handed messages that were made in jest.

As evident by the results of /this/ poll, people did misunderstand Deus's thread; the results are much different. It's not because they are stupid or lack reading comprehension but because many people, including myself, respond to threads and polls without fully reading everything and understanding it because that's the nature of a bulletin board system, people do that all the time. I think there was a common misunderstanding that the poll was too bring back the emotes in large form. Now if you could please stop this strawman argument that I'm "denying people a vote" and think all of the people who disagree with me are stupid when I've clarified numerous times that a. I said that about the average ZDer and b. It was a joke, that would be great. Especially since an admin already told you to drop the nazi comparisons, and you are not.

I am sorry if my jokes about people being stupid or lacking reading comprehension personally offended you or anyone else on this board. That was not my intention at all. I would like if we could move on from this.

Less people have bothered to vote in your poll all together. In my poll 16 people voted to keep the emotes gone in all forms and 8 wanted resized ones brought back. That's 24 voters alltogether. Your poll has about 16 only.

Jamie

Less people have bothered to vote in your poll all together. In my poll 16 people voted to keep the emotes gone in all forms and 8 wanted resized ones brought back. That's 24 voters alltogether. Your poll has about 16 only.
Mine has 18 people. 2 people don't give a ****, which to me counts as a "Yeah sure bring it back because it doesn't bother me". Even if you count them as abstaining votes, which I do not at all, because I think when you want to get rid of something vehemently then people who do not care if its gone or not are essentially supporting the other side, then unless you think all 8 people who are going to vote on this poll next are all going to vote to not have this emote, then this poll is different.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Mine has 18 people. 2 people don't give a ****, which to me counts as a "Yeah sure bring it back because it doesn't bother me". Even if you count them as abstaining votes, which I do not at all, because I think when you want to get rid of something vehemently then people who do not care if its gone or not are essentially supporting the other side, then unless you think all 8 people who are going to vote on this poll next are all going to vote to not have this emote, then this poll is different.
Dont care means leave them gone.
And since 16 didn't want them in my poll 16 would also not want them in yours if those same 16 wanted to vote again. Nobody has come forward about their confusion or changed their votes after reading your arguments that my thread is hard for their infantile brains to understand. That means as far as I am concerned there are 16 people who do not want any of thebestemotes back in any form. Where are they in your poll. Well the obvious reason is that they just didn't all to vote in your thread or have any desire to vote again after the opportunity I presented them with. And why should they? This thread is basically the same as mine just even more specific. But all thebestemotes staying gone means all of them. Including your silly shrug one.

Jamie

Yeah, disagree.

after reading your arguments that my thread is hard for their infantile brains to understand..
right, ok, enough of this. if neither of you are going to take this seriously and accept my numerous clarifications and apologizes, then why am i even bothering with this ****. have a good one

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
If the people who voted "don't care", wanted the emote they would've voted in favor of it, not that they don't care. This is why there shouldn't be neutral options, just Yes, or no, Do you want this emote?
Currently I see 8 in favor, 9 against.

Reactions: Dio

Pen

The game is on!

That doesn't make any sense. If the three alternatives exist: "I like it", "I don't like it" and "I don't care", then obviously "I don't like it" and only that one alternative means that you definitely wanna leave the emote gone. The few users who voted "I don't care" obviously don't care either way. They're fine if it remains gone, but they're equally fine to see the emote added. Why else would they vote that way? If they wanted it gone they would have voted for the one corresponding alternative: "I don't like it".

As it stands right now it looks like the two opinions are at a tie. Personally I am of the opinion that this resized sarcastic shrug emote should be added, along with a few other resized versions of the emotes that were removed. Honestly I thought those emotes were great for ZD in that they gave our community some humor and they made the forums feel rather unique. Sure I understand that the large ones that were removed were too big, but I see no problem with the small versions. Being smaller will make people less likely to spam them and if you still don't like it because you may think they're "ugly" then just block that particular emote for yourself. That way we'll all be happy, right? I think it's a fair compromise that we should go through with in the event of a vote as tied as this one.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I don't think we should be comparing the size of two different polls, because they were posted at different times, and so obviously the one who has been there longer will get more votes.
Even so, not everyone who voted in your poll has voted in this one, so that means that not only do we not have as many people voting no as we may have, we may also not have the correct number of people voting yes. Also, the questions are different, because the other poll included useless smilies like Modify and Veray Scray, and this one includes just one of the more-liked emotes. There is no reason to compare those polls.

Moving on to the topic at hand, I support this emote returning, for a number of reasons.
A) This one actually has purpose, which can't quite be said for a number of THEBESTEMOTES
:cool: As Jamie said, it is separated from the current shrug emote by the actual meaning of the user, as this one looks more sarcastic than the other, more sincere, Link emote.
C) This is an emote that I actually want on more forums, because I can and sometimes do use it on a daily basis.

But y'know, whatevs
HnU6Nix.png

Last edited:

Jamie

I don't think we should be comparing the size of two different polls, because they were posted at different times, and so obviously the one who has been there longer will get more votes.
Even so, not everyone who voted in your poll has voted in this one, so that means that not only do we not have as many people voting no as we may have, we may also not have the correct number of people voting yes. Also, the questions are different, because the other poll included useless smilies like Modify and Veray Scray, and this one includes just one of the more-liked emotes. There is no reason to compare those polls.

Moving on to the topic at hand, I support this emote returning, for a number of reasons.
A) This one actually has purpose, which can't quite be said for a number of THEBESTEMOTES
:cool: As Jamie said, it is separated from the current shrug emote by the actual meaning of the user, as this one looks more sarcastic than the other, more sincere, Link emote.
C) This is an emote that I actually want on more forums, because I can and sometimes do use it on a daily basis.

But y'know, whatevs
HnU6Nix.png
Yeah, evidently, there are likely people who voted in both polls who didn't vote in the other one. But with yes having 10 votes here then, Deus, using your logic, where is the 1 person who voted yes here that didn't vote yes in your thread? This is a different poll, worded a different way, that yields different results. Perhaps people think of THEBESTEMOTES as more than just the shrug, perhaps seeing the small shrug emote in my OP made people think "oh thats not as bad as i thought", there are plenty of factors, but reality is, this poll differs from yours, Deus, and you can't just chalk it up to "people didn't feel like voting in this one". Certainly it's a possibility, but it's also a possibility that my assessment of your thread was correct.

Bottom line is, there are currently more yeses in this thread than nos, and you can't in all good conscience tell me I'm trying to deny people votes and then go and deny the validity of this poll.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I think that it is quite clear that the old emotes are viewed negatively by a much of our community. That being said, I can see how a shrugging emote could have purpose if it was not obnoxious. So I've tried to bring the purpose of the emote without the skin of old.

Thus, for now I have uploaded :shrug: to the database. If anyone has a better (similar sized) alternative, PM it to me and I'll consider changing it.

I'm going to lock this discussion as from here it is a bit silly to have a whole thread over a single emote when there is already an emote suggestion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom