• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How difficult is BoTW for you?

Continuing on from what @Vanessa28 said, I remember i'd been killed a few times on the Plateau but was still going strong. But when I got my paraglider, instead of going as far as i could i just moved down the wall to see what was next to the Plateau itself on the ground...

Thats when i saw my first moblin, a huge bumbling thing twice the size of me with a club that was about to end me.

He didnt kill me but the terror of seeing something that big so soon after having been killed by many a standard boko terrified me. He helped the game feel harder than it was.

That being said i died around 5 times before i made it to the Dueling Peaks stable.... damn Lizalfos.

Last edited:
Eh, I wouldn't say it's that difficult. Definitely not as hard as Hyrule warriors but also harder than, say, triforce heroes. I agree, it's definitely more overwhelming, especially when you're out in the middle of the Gerudo Highlands in nothing but your big boy shorts swingin' a dead mother****ers arm at some other mother****ers. 6.5/10.

On the first play through, it was mostly just me falling off stuff and dying. But after getting used to the controls, it's not that hard. I did have a problem with the Shatterback Lynel when I first encountered it, but now I know their attacks I can dodge every attack.
6/10

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
I wouldn't say I found it too hard, although it's definitely somewhere above the other 3D Zeldas in things like higher damage numbers, enemies often attacking you in groups and the possibility of being in a harsh climate that inflicts passive damage. However I did feel some hits were hard to avoid since sometimes enemies like bokoblins can attack without telegraphing, but generally you have plenty of ways to deal with enemies and any other problem. I actually also feel that some of the solutions you can use to solve problems kind of cheapen challenges but whatever.

I have some experience with action games so there's not much here I haven't seen, some of the enemy designs besides maybe Lizalfos don't seem to me like they are as aggressive as they could be, although I like some attacks, like the one where bokoblins spin a spear around, forcing you to either flurry rush, perfect block, headshot since you can't get too close.

I even enjoyed playing the game better when intentionally going somewhat unprepared into everything. Like, drink some heat potion or carry a torch and focus on running away from enemies in cold places, drink cooling potions or use ice weapons for hot places, practice dodges and blocks so you don't need extra hearts. I'd make it a 5 or 4 at most though in terms of difficulty. Dark Souls would be like a 7 and Bayonetta would be like a 9 for me, considering how many stone trophies I got early on. I don't know what would be higher.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Easiest Zelda game period. The enemies hit harder, but the combat is broken and if you take the high ground you basically win any encounter. Zelda combat has always been easy, but this is braindead. And even when the previous games had easy combat, at least the puzzles could be challenging, but with BOTW the puzzles are insanely dumbed down.

The game honestly is not that hard. You don't need Korean like skills as you would to be a Starcraft or Street Fighter master. You don't need to be a genius to work out very tough puzzles. You don't have to grind experience or levels for hours and hours just to get anywhere in the game.

What you do need is a little patience and some practice. This game is really about exploration and practice makes perfect. You can get better at the game without even feeling it and slow become very good at the game. You start off and the first bokoblin destroys you. 100+ hours in and you are good enough to take out guardians without a scratch. This slow progression (at your own pace) never feels forced or rushed.

How hard do I think the game is out of 10?
If 1 is cookie clicker where the game just plays itself and 10 is Ghost N Goblins or Battletoads.

I give Breath of the Wild
6/10 (roughly)

Easiest Zelda game period. The enemies hit harder, but the combat is broken and if you take the high ground you basically win any encounter. Zelda combat has always been easy, but this is braindead. And even when the previous games had easy combat, at least the puzzles could be challenging, but with BOTW the puzzles are insanely dumbed down.
Solving the puzzles this time round is not the challenging part. It's designed that way. Breath of the Wild is a collectathon. The challenge (take korok seeds as an example) is to realise what is and what is a korok seed puzzle and what is not when you walk past it. Picking up on the signs of "hey is this hole in the ground a korok seed puzzle" Or looknig at the map and realising which areas are potential places for korok seeds.

People need to think of the game as what it is. More of a collectathon and searching/exploring the environment type game and less of a puzzle solving game.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The real challenging is seeing a Korok Puzzle and forcing yourself not to walk past it...

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
The real challenging is seeing a Korok Puzzle and forcing yourself not to walk past it...

No, the challenge is to scavenge for Korok puzzles. If I find one, I'm happy to do it. It's making myself search for them that's the challenge. Which is why I have about 100 and not more, lol.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
No, the challenge is to scavenge for Korok puzzles. If I find one, I'm happy to do it. It's making myself search for them that's the challenge. Which is why I have about 100 and not more, lol.
I had no trouble making myself search for them personally, since I never had to make myself do anything in this game. For me, the challenge with korok seeds becomes finding new ones after having found 833 on my own. I take great enjoyment out of scouring and exploring the overworld, which is part of why I love BotW so much lol.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I had no trouble making myself search for them personally, since I never had to make myself do anything in this game. For me, the challenge with korok seeds becomes finding new ones after having found 833 on my own. I take great enjoyment out of scouring and exploring the overworld, which is part of why I love BotW so much lol.

For me it's the only thing I don't like in the game. I love looking for and solving shrines, I love grinding my way to upgrade my gear, I love finding a and doing side-quests. But since the Korok seeds only rely on observation and there is no way to aid a search for them (unlike everything else in the game), for some reason that is the part I don't enjoy in the game. Coming across a puzzle or stone pattern as I explore is fine, enjoyable even. Finding the occasional stone at the peak of a mountain is also fine, and coming across flags and shooting balloons is also fine. But feeling like I have to try climbing, examine every tree I come across because some of them have Koroks hiding in them is just not fun. Or finding that one balloon that you just see the edge of behind something else... Or having to be on the lookout for flowers in case I have to touch them in numerical order or follow them as they pop up elsewhere...

I think the Korok mask is going to help this a long way. Having at least an indicator that I'm near a Korok seed is going to help a lot.

For me it's the only thing I don't like in the game. ... (removed text) ... But feeling like I have to try climbing, examine every tree I come across because some of them have Koroks hiding in them is just not fun. ... (removed text)

Exactly. This game really (at least to me) is about bringing back some of what made the very first LoZ game what it was - which is full-on exploration and discovery. However, when you almost literally have to examine, scale, climb, pick up, stand on, look at etc. every single thing in the game to see if a Korok is potentially hidden there ... that's just flat-out tedious, tiresome and gets very boring after a while. I don't know if "overwhelming" is the right word to use for this task ... but given the tools in the game for the map, what we can mark, how we have to zoom all the way in to see the stamp for a Korok you've found ... it's just way too much work, and the reward is not nearly worth the effort, even if you just want to say you found them all.

Yes, the Korok mask will aid in this effort, but you still are going to have to go through the entire map again to see what you may have missed. That's still a LOT of effort for little pay-off.

I've found the game to be moderately difficult, but only rarely has it been frustratingly so. I found a temple off the east coast and was treated to a major test of strength. I must have tried a dozen times and got demolished rather quickly with every try. I found this shrine rather early in the game (after maybe a dozen hours). I concluded that I lacked the combat skill and the stuff (armor, weapons, meals, hearts) to tackle this shrine. So, I left the shrine and will fast-travel back to it when I feel I'm ready. I found the Thunder challenge to be very frustrating (haven't completed it). Unnecessarily so. The real problem was because of enemies that are unavoidable in certain situations, I found that I used up my non-metal weapons before I could stasis-bash the last 2 orbs onto the plateau. When using a metal weapon I repeatedly got hit by lightning as I was delivering the last stasis blow. Then, to make matters worse, even though I had saved after knocking both orbs off their perches and moving them close to the spot to launch them onto the plateau, when loading the last save the game moves them back to their perches. I found this out after I had launched one orb and was getting ready to launch another when 3 moblin skeletons came out of the ground close by and one-hit killed me before I had a chance to react. That royally sucked. I'm going to purchase a couple of more weapons mounts for my house and stage 4 non-metal weapons so I can try this quest again. Actually, I may save the money on the weapon mounts and just drop some non metal weapons in my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom