• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

hobbies???

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
what constitutes a hobby?? my mum claims gaming and reading are not hobbies....

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Actually had this same discussion not too long ago. I can certainly agree with where your mom is coming from, gaming and reading are perfectly fine pastimes, but I can see arguments for them not being hobbies because there's no tangible result from them. Stuff like writing, drawing, woodworking, etc, those are definitely hobbies because they have an actual result. There's nothing wrong with gaming and reading, but since there's no end result I can justify not calling them hobbies.

Something that you do often and enjoy.
Doesn't need to be something you've done for a while, or something you're good at, or such things.

For me, balloon decor, or more specifically, just balloons.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
A hobby is considered to be a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time.

There's no need to get tangible real results from your hobbies for it to be considered a hobby, by literal definition.

A hobby is anything you do for enjoyment or leisure. Thus, reading and playing video games constitute hobbies.

Time you enjoy spending isn't time wasted. Not everything that you do needs to be productive in the sense that others find productive, just like not everything you buy needs to have resale value for it to be a good purchase.

For example, my hobby is buying and painting Warhammer 40K figurines. On a cost basis, I'm throwing my money away, and I'm not looking to sell the miniatures at all. So, there's no tangible result from this, other than I like table top wargaming, and collecting and painting minis.

I also like to collect pics off the internet and add them to my collection.
Got about 800 pics now. Don't use them for anything, just like to look. It at lease helps when thinking of ideas for stories and whatnot, especially when it comes to locations.

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Champion
I also like to collect pics off the internet and add them to my collection.
Got about 800 pics now. Don't use them for anything, just like to look. It at lease helps when thinking of ideas for stories and whatnot, especially when it comes to locations.
What type of pictures do you collect?

Anything that looks nice. Video game art work and concept art. Or pics of scenery, pics of pokémon (love the original artworks, especially the first three gens). Or background wallpapers, cause I change mine a lot.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I would imagine it could be agreed upon that a hobby is more than just something you like to do. American society currently has a fascination with the individual's will: we consider the highest form of good to be whatever the individual determines. This has lead to standards becoming less tangible. Even people's understanding of morality and objectivity has shifted from a view of the objective to the subjective, resulting in many people believing that what is correct is what most people agree on.

Thus, if we are a liberal-minded group of people (meaning freedom first), we will affirm in most cases that the individual's will ought to be that individual's guide. In such a case, "whatever you like" constitutes a hobby. However, we haven't yet given up every sense of objective morality. We don't yet truly believe that each individual's freedom of choice actually dictates morality. For instance, I would grant that reading could be a hobby in some context. Perhaps you read through a quarterly periodical; there is structure and form to it and likely a subject about which the periodical is written. On the other hand, because we don't yet believe that morality is dictated simply by the whim of the individual, I can say that people generally do not consider mailing anthrax or switching labels on medications in your grandmother's cabinet to be hobbies.

So while we could debase ourselves by adhering to a strict definition of the word "hobby", we all know exactly what your mom is talking about. She wants you to do something constructive. This is likely because she cares about you more than anybody on the internet possibly can.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
what constitutes a hobby?? my mum claims gaming and reading are not hobbies....
I agree that there's no tangible results from gaming but depending on what you read, reading is legit. Are you reading books that improve your vocabulary? Are you reading cookbooks that improve your cooking? What will happen in future of you read it? Even of you read, say, a fiction, it would have developed your creativity and vocabulary a bit.
My idea of a hobby is, when you look back down the road, there must be something to look at. It may not necessarily lead to a self improvement but neither should it amount to nothing like gaming, nor should it be counter productive i.e something you wish you hadn't done like doing ganjja or gambling.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
I would say anything you spend a great amount of time on? I dunno but I like to write, and I enjoy doing it, so I consider it a hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom