• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Kind of Science?

favorite science

• Chemistry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biology

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Physics

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters

Fig

The Altruist
There are lots of Sciences that I'm fond of such as Astronomy, Political, Physics, and the list could go on but ever since as early as 2004, I have always been interested in the field of engineering! It's a fascinating field that perfectly fits in my strengths in terms of academics and concepts. What's also great is that there the engineering field further branches out and differs from say electrical engineering to petroleum engineering. All in all, engineering is my favorite branch of Science and I wouldn't want it any other way!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Either Geology or Astronomy.

Geology I like in specific areas such as natural hazards (mainly volcanology) and how they work. It goes hand in hand with my studies in Geography really and that was always my favourite topic in school and probably my best. I'm just incredibly intrigued (and have been from an early age) by how the earth works and how amazing--but sometimes disastrous--events like volcano eruptions and earthquakes happen and the effects they cause. I guess visiting Pompeii at the age of 8 is what really sparked my interest; such an amazing experience. It was a hard choice choosing business over this, but I would, maybe one day, like to further my studies.

Astronomy is just one of those things that's simply amazing. The sheer scope of it is fascinating, from distant planets to nebulars, from supernovae to brown dwarves, from solar maximums to anti matter. You could literally go on forever, there's so many topics and each one so detailed that it would take a lifetime to become a master in one. I guess it's rather overwhelming to some, but the fact that just looking out into the sky and knowing that were so insignificant in the grand scheme of things is pretty mind blowing.

That's easy. Health sciences- specifically nursing. (Shut up, it totally counts as a science! I have a bachelors in science). I love the millions of ways we can go wrong and the even more millions of ways we can fix it.

I also like most other sciences (besides chemistry and physics since I'm terrible at math), but health sciences are my one true love.

I really liked seeing acknowledgement of the social sciences here (economics, psychology, sociology, political). The method of inquiry in all these is very similar to those in the big natural sciences like physics, chemistry, and biology. Mathematics is too classical-like for me to consider it a science...math literature reads almost like philosophy.

Of the ones listed, my favorite is biology. Chemistry I remember being a lot of memorizing and physics I remember being pretty boring. When I studied biology I felt like I was more prepared (by "life") to be critical of the material, thus making the material easier and funner to absorb.

EDIT: Oh, and I loved reading the OP's excerpt on Mendel. For me at least, the history of science and mathematics is equally as intriguing as the science and mathematics. A very important mathematician for today's study was Galois, who died shortly after a sword duel over politics.

Last edited:

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
I'm a big fan of biology. Mostly on a macroscopic level, meaning that I get excited as a little high school girl for her prom when nature & wild life documentaries are on TV. Just the earth in general really fascinates me, the mountains, the oceans, the life... oh, I shiver already. Good thing there is an encore of the amazing Planet Earth with sir Attenbourogh on TV tonight! :)

Therapist Bill

The Pianist
I love those Planet Earth documentaries and all the ones like them. Have you seen the Walking With [Whatever] series as well? Swoon.

Yes, although not as big of a fan of them as my niece is. ;)
Find them a little bit too much aimed at children for my taste, but definitely not a bad series. :)

Maikeru

Piper of Time
To be honest, I'm not generally that into science. Kind of odd, since the lowest grade I've made in any of my college science classes was a 94 in Anatomy, which was interesting at points. However, I was far more interested in the Astronomy and Ecology classes that I took.

When it comes to my favorite science though, I have a few worth mentioning. I guess I could separate them into three categories; ones I like to study, ones I like to practice and pseudoscience.

Going with a pseudoscience, I of course have to go with Abnormal Psychology. Not just regular Psychology, which is fine in its own right, but the psychology of things which are considered abnormal. It relates to psychology, in that I am interested in why people think the way they do or why people do the things they do. Abnormal Psychology just goes beyond the study of the brain and goes more into the specific cases of people like serial killers and rapists. Which are minds that far more intrigue me because I despise people who do such things and want to understand where people get about thinking such actions are actually okay.

Then if I'm going with a science that I'd like to practice, it would be Botany. Moreso than discovering the ecosystem, I'm interested in learning the specifics of plants and how they affect things, especially the body. Not just for medical purposes, but knowing what herbs and spices work best with what. In the olden days, I would have been interesting in being a chef or a medical person. Though in these days neither interest me as much as I'd like them to.

As for my favorite science to study, it had to be either Psychology or my last science that interests me, Astronomy. When I grew up, I was always fascinated with things like Greek Mythology, and when I learned that the Gods were based on Roman Gods, which were further based off the planets of the solar system, I was intrigued to learn about the solar system itself. As I learned about these things, I started learning more about the vast expanse of space as a whole and I loved it. Astronomy takes the rules of science as we know them and warps them. Different planets have different laws of physics from our own, for instance. Moreso than that is the potential for what lies beyond what is known. There is so much in the universe, that I can't help but be fascinated by the potential and the effect things in the universe have on other things. As someone who also loves Creative Writing, Astronomy is a really cool medium for ideas.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Going with a pseudoscience

Pseudoscience is not a kind of science. It's by definition "fake" science. The only relation it has to science is that the word "science" is part of the word "pseudoscience", and that's strictly to make it clear that it is not science. The prefix "pseudo" would otherwise be dangling and semantically meaningless.

Abnormal Psychology just goes beyond the study of the brain and goes more into the specific cases of people like serial killers and rapists. Which are minds that far more intrigue me because I despise people who do such things and want to understand where people get about thinking such actions are actually okay.

This is an important field in real psychology. It's called criminal psychology. You don't have to go to fake science if you're interested in the wills, thoughts, and intentions of rapists and serial killers.

Astronomy takes the rules of science as we know them and warps them. Different planets have different laws of physics from our own, for instance.

Astronomy does no such thing. Astronomy is a field that utilizes the scientific method and abides by the methodologies and philosophies of science like any other hard/natural science does. It's a science that abides by the rules of science to observe and study, as Wikipedia puts it: "celestial objects (such as stars, galaxies, planets, moons, and nebulae), and the physics, chemistry, and evolution of such objects, and phenomena that originate outside the atmosphere of Earth." Nothing about that field warrants scientific method paradigm shifts.

Also, different planets do not have different laws of physics from our own. The laws of physics have been shown to be constants throughout the known universe. The laws of physics on Earth are identical to the laws of physics on Mars, and the same goes for the laws of physics as they operate on some distant planet around some distant star in the Andromeda Galaxy, for instance. I think you might mean to say that conditions on other planets are different than on the Earth. But when astronomy, astrophysics, biology, geology, etc discovers and examines those conditions, they certainly don't "warp" the rules of science to do so.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Psychology and Sociology are sciences, too. And those are my favorites. The way people think and the reasons for those thoughts and their behaviors has always been really fascinating to me. When I took my first psych/sociology class in my senior year of high school, I was hooked completely. I've taken psychology and sociology classes at the college I'm currently attending, and I've learned a lot of interesting stuff. I'm gonna be taking an Abnormal Psychology class next semester, and I'm really excited for that. I hope to take a Child Psychology class at some point too, since that's the field I want to go into (I want to be a counselor for kids, maybe at a middle school or elementary school or something).

Bottom line, all kinds of psychology and sociology fascinate me. I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom