• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Excessive Cursing

Should "excessive cursing" be against the rules?

• Yes

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 76.7%

• Total voters
Is there any way to change the asterisk in the swear filter to a different character entirely? I've seen other forums use hearts in place of asterisks. I like this approach better because it trivializes the swearing and makes it a bit of a joke. Not saying anyone has to do that, but I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.

Or even better, replaces it with something contextual to the forum or fandom you are in. Stuff like that is always good for a laugh. Wonder how that'd apply for Zelda though...

My view of cursing is it's better if you mean it. A long string of expletives just looks juvenile.

Going back to what Matt said earlier, I've run into the whole "shaming" thing a little bit myself. Like, you'll be posting or commenting on some random subject and somebody jumps on you as if looking for a reason to shout "NO! YOU'RE WRONG!", not really bothering to ponder why you said something or hear you out. It doesn't matter how well versed you are in a subject or how it personally affects you, sometimes you just really don't want to write an essay with full citations to prove your casual knowledge on something or explain why you said something. It's draining. Very, very recently I ran into one that was such a forehead-slapper that I did something I rarely do on forums...hit the ignore button on a poster. Not saying who, as that would defeat the purpose, but sometimes I wonder if more folks should make use of that. Might solve a lot of problems here.

Djinn

and Tonic
Point is a reply that consists of
"***** you I know it ****** is the second game ****! Why is every **** doing jack **** about the **** ***** ****s that are *****ing every *****? Because I am ***** tired of **** **** in ***** behind the ***** parking lot ****"
does not really make much of a point. It's 5 words and a paragraph of filler that adds nothing. And it really does not help an argument. It mostly angers others within the thread and they start doing more of the same.

That's so annoying like, like i knew this person years ago like and all he'd do is use like like, it made me want to kill him like.

If like likes can like then can a like like like?
I know a girl that will drop at least three likes and two okays in between almost every last word she says. It is the single most frustrating thing that very quickly grinds away all my patience and sanity each time I am near her. It's pretty much

"Okay like you know like, when like, there was this like like you know like....okay okay like...you know like, uhhh like okay okay okay....okay like.....you know like...when your hair is all like, like okay okay....like....your hair like does all this like...you know...okay like okay.....umm okay okay like......."

8 Minutes have passed and she still hasn't yet said a damn thing!!!!!!!

Is there any way to change the asterisk in the swear filter to a different character entirely? I've seen other forums use hearts in place of asterisks. I like this approach better because it trivializes the swearing and makes it a bit of a joke. Not saying anyone has to do that, but I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.
A while ago I wanted to change the asterisks to
gif001958.gif
or
38271111.gif

But that was assumed to only entice more instead of less so it was rejected.

"***** you I know it ****** is the second game ****! Why is every **** doing jack **** about the **** ***** ****s that are *****ing every *****? Because I am ***** tired of **** **** in ***** behind the ***** parking lot ****"
does not really make much of a point. It's 5 words and a paragraph of filler that adds nothing. And it really does not help an argument. It mostly angers others within the thread and they start doing more of the same.

That's more or less my thoughts on the matter. I don't see the point of swearing every five seconds. It does little to get the point across, and all it accomplishes is making the person doing it look unintelligent.

I know a girl that will drop at least three likes and two okays in between almost every last word she says. It is the single most frustrating thing that very quickly grinds away all my patience and sanity each time I am near her. It's pretty much

"Okay like you know like, when like, there was this like like you know like....okay okay like...you know like, uhhh like okay okay okay....okay like.....you know like...when your hair is all like, like okay okay....like....your hair like does all this like...you know...okay like okay.....umm okay okay like......."

8 Minutes have passed and she still hasn't yet said a damn thing!!!!!!!

I don't understand that myself. Like, if you have something to say, just say it. This also just makes the person doing seem very unintelligent.

A while ago I wanted to change the asterisks to
gif001958.gif
or
38271111.gif

But that was assumed to only entice more instead of less so it was rejected.

Eh, I could see those being a little distracting at first. I mean something more along the lines of "♥" would be better. Because it isn't an image and is instead just a text character, it would be a better alternative to the asterisk but wouldn't be quite as distracting as a full-on picture. Sure, some people might abuse it for a little while, but people do get tired of that after a while, especially once they don't get the attention they desire for doing it.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
That falls under "spam" if you ask me. I think I had all of about 2-3 curse words in each of my posts that I was told to edit them or they'd be trashed, because swearing at people isn't okay, or something. Maybe I'm wrong, but @Cthulhu didn't seem to be hurt by my words. At the end of the day, words are words, and as long as the words are allowed on the site, I don't think the number of them you use should be relevant.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
That falls under "spam" if you ask me. I think I had all of about 2-3 curse words in each of my posts that I was told to edit them or they'd be trashed, because swearing at people isn't okay, or something. Maybe I'm wrong, but @Cthulhu didn't seem to be hurt by my words. At the end of the day, words are words, and as long as the words are allowed on the site, I don't think the number of them you use should be relevant.

Nope i wasn't hurt by the cursing, the whole thread at the time and arguments before hand had wound me up til the spring snapped hence the large amount of cursing shown in a certain thread by me.

Cursing can be used for emphasis or to express your anger but overuse of it is kinda needless and pedantic and this is from someone that curses regularly.

GAR! I be needin' to find a Bett-arrr word to use as the ****in' words I usually be usin' be bull**** to those Moth-arrr-****-arrrrs who be not privy to a Sailor's Mouth. tis but a word, and nothing more. so ye best be putting on yer big panties, because the **** shall hit your fan. Yarr

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
GAR! I be needin' to find a Bett-arrr word to use as the ****in' words I usually be usin' be bull**** to those Moth-arrr-****-arrrrs who be not privy to a Sailor's Mouth. tis but a word, and nothing more. so ye best be putting on yer big panties, because the **** shall hit your fan. Yarr

You'd better mind that fooking language of yours around here m8 you cheeky coont.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
You can already filter swear words so you see asterisks. Don't really see why it has to go beyond that. If you personally don't like swearing, don't do it. Simple. You can't make a rule about this because where do you draw the line? One f word is okay but three is too much? I mean, I get it if you've got somebody attacking you personally with that kind of language (or any language really), but some people just swear a lot because that's who they are. Put your big girl panties on and deal with it, it's just language. I swear. I mean, not every two words like some people because it's unnecessary but whatever. It's not the end of the world.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What's people's opinion of avoiding the forum censors? Like saying fookin instead of ****ing and beeetch instead of ***** etc etc

There shouldn't be censors in the first place. This is not a cotton wool site where mere words should be replaced with asterisks. There are topics covered here in the mature discussion and things said in the general discussion and shoutbox which some parents would certainly not like their children seeing and discussing. What is wrong with them seeing some words printed that most have been using since the age of 4 anyway?

I have no problem saying fooking instead of ****ing or with other people doing it. It points out the ridiculousness of the censors in the first place by the fact they are so easily bypassed. The meaning remains the same no matter the aesthetic appearance or phonetics of the word. This is something I have probably already pointed out at some stage anyway but I say it again, just putting some asterisks in place of a word does not remove the word or its meaning. F*** is still read in the mind as **** so why not go all out and remove the censors entirely?

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
What's people's opinion of avoiding the forum censors? Like saying fookin instead of ****ing and beeetch instead of ***** etc etc
While it's kinda petty, I don't see a huge problem with it. 90% of the time you can guess what word the asterisks mean anyways, so what's the difference? Besides, it's no worse than words like freak, shoot, and darn, which are other ways of cursing without cursing.
Oh yeah, and the words are also kinda painful to read, but I think that's just me really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom