• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Excessive Cursing

Should "excessive cursing" be against the rules?

• Yes

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 76.7%

• Total voters
What jimmy said. Don't cuss at each other, but feel free to call Donald Trump a dick - that way, no one (that matters) gets hurt.

Any swearing and asterisk that imply swearing should be banned regardless.

I've seen you say this quite a lot lately, and decided to finally address this. I want to say that I really like you as a person, so please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really are this offended by the occasional **** then this is, quite simply, not the right place for you. You're in the minority when it comes to this issue, and as far as I know, swearing has been allowed here before you even joined. You can either deal with it (and I hope you do, because I like you and would be sad to see you go), or leave.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
That's so annoying like, like i knew this person years ago like and all he'd do is use like like, it made me want to kill him like.

If like likes can like then can a like like like?

If like likes can like then like likes like but does it mean like likes like like likes or do like likes just like?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
What I notice is that people are easily offended with everything lately. I mean not only with the actions taken by the mods but also by the members. It's like when person A says something or does something, person B jumps on the neck and person C and D are joining in. Then when things are finally settled down (at least we thought), there is a thread made in which the person who feels offended or annoyed is asking the community if it is fair. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing and I mean totally nothing against @Jamie . He is a great guy and has good ideas and brings up issues he feels with the site. But lately it's happening very often. Not towards Jamie but in general. Again, it shows that communication is a very important factor. I think it's a good thing we bring up our issues and talk it out but sometimes it feels like nobody is going to be happy, no matter what the replies are in a pm or on a thread. I don't really mind the swearing. Because the swear filter can work miracles and sometimes when people get mad at each other, they can get a little bit overboard because of their emotions and how they feel. The only thing I find annoying is to read a wall of text with ******* behind every word or something. Imagine a TV show and the swearing is replaced with a beep. At a certain point you don't even hear a normal conversation but nothing but beeps. That irritates me because I can't even follow a conversation anymore because of the beeps. So when I read text like "you *****, you should ***** the **** up and get your *****ing ***** straight because it *****ing annoys me" I'm like what are you even trying to say? I don't read anything but beeps. (I used the * and didn't type any swear word :P ) I personally don't think members should be punished or banned because of this but at least be told to tone it a bit down because it makes reading more tough.

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I never really cared to enforce swearing to any substantial degree (especially since the optional censor), provided it's not directed straight at another user in order to genuinely insult them. At that point the issue would be flaming rather than cusses, so there's little point to the rule, honestly. There's too many contexts and variables to swearing that makes "protecting" people from it tricky to be fair and consistent.

I never really cared to enforce swearing to any substantial degree (especially since the optional censor), provided it's not directed straight at another user in order to genuinely insult them. At that point the issue would be flaming rather than cusses, so there's little point to the rule, honestly. There's too many contexts and variables to swearing that makes "protecting" people from it tricky to be fair and consistent.

That's more or less how I feel about this matter myself. There's way too many variables involved to just go after people for "swearing". My personal opinion is that when swearing is done in excess, it makes the person look less credible, not to mention silly, but neither of those things are against the rules. Now, if we wanted to fold this under the umbrella of "flaming" or "spam", that would be a step in the right direction as it can be both, and I certainly see it as both.

On that note:

I've seen you say this quite a lot lately, and decided to finally address this. I want to say that I really like you as a person, so please don't take this the wrong way, but if you really are this offended by the occasional **** then this is, quite simply, not the right place for you. You're in the minority when it comes to this issue, and as far as I know, swearing has been allowed here before you even joined. You can either deal with it (and I hope you do, because I like you and would be sad to see you go), or leave.

^This. Swear words are just that- they're words. They only have the meaning that they do because we've given them that meaning. I would rather you not leave, either, because I like you, but if this is something that really bothers you, then this place might not be for you anymore. Aside from the incident in the Concerning Images thread, I've never seen swearing be used in excess. You're in the minority here, unfortunately.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
What I notice is that people are easily offended with everything lately. I mean not only with the actions taken by the mods but also by the members. It's like when person A says something or does something, person B jumps on the neck and person C and D are joining in. Then when things are finally settled down (at least we thought), there is a thread made in which the person who feels offended or annoyed is asking the community if it is fair. Don't get me wrong. I have nothing and I mean totally nothing against @Jamie . He is a great guy and has good ideas and brings up issues he feels with the site. But lately it's happening very often. Not towards Jamie but in general. Again, it shows that communication is a very important factor. I think it's a good thing we bring up our issues and talk it out but sometimes it feels like nobody is going to be happy, no matter what the replies are in a pm or on a thread. I don't really mind the swearing. Because the swear filter can work miracles and sometimes when people get mad at each other, they can get a little bit overboard because of their emotions and how they feel. The only thing I find annoying is to read a wall of text with ******* behind every word or something. Imagine a TV show and the swearing is replaced with a beep. At a certain point you don't even hear a normal conversation but nothing but beeps. That irritates me because I can't even follow a conversation anymore because of the beeps. So when I read text like "you *****, you should ***** the **** up and get your *****ing ***** straight because it *****ing annoys me" I'm like what are you even trying to say? I don't read anything but beeps. (I used the * and didn't type any swear word :P ) I personally don't think members should be punished or banned because of this but at least be told to tone it a bit down because it makes reading more tough.

That's on the individual for using the censor. Seeing stars you still know what words are being used anyway unless you are 3. I know the first time **** passed my lips was at 4 and I learned it from a fellow classmate, so kids definitely know the words. And seeing stars which you know are swears you can tell what words they are anyway, the words are in your head, so you automatically translate the stars and are experiencing swearing regardless.

Is there any way to change the asterisk in the swear filter to a different character entirely? I've seen other forums use hearts in place of asterisks. I like this approach better because it trivializes the swearing and makes it a bit of a joke. Not saying anyone has to do that, but I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.

Is there any way to change the asterisk in the swear filter to a different character entirely? I've seen other forums use hearts in place of asterisks. I like this approach better because it trivializes the swearing and makes it a bit of a joke. Not saying anyone has to do that, but I thought I'd throw that suggestion out there.
I think it would be nice if people could edit their own swear filter to see whatever they want. They could change swears to symbols, euphuisms, normal words, or even funny nonsense words like GYORGNADO.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
That's on the individual for using the censor. Seeing stars you still know what words are being used anyway unless you are 3. I know the first time **** passed my lips was at 4 and I learned it from a fellow classmate, so kids definitely know the words. And seeing stars which you know are swears you can tell what words they are anyway, the words are in your head, so you automatically translate the stars and are experiencing swearing regardless.
That was not my point. Of course it's not hard to tell what is said. But it's not really fun to read a whole convo with nothing but *** in it. But aside fromt that, I'm not against swearing. That's why I also said that I don't think someone should be punished or banned because of this.

That was not my point. Of course it's not hard to tell what is said. But it's not really fun to read a whole convo with nothing but *** in it. But aside fromt that, I'm not against swearing. That's why I also said that I don't think someone should be punished or banned because of this.

I agree, it isn't fun reading an entire conversation that's nothing but asterisks. That's why I think it might be better if we change the asterisk into some other character, or simply allow more customization in the swear filter entirely. I also agree that swearing isn't something that needs to be punished, because I think there are much more important matters that need addressing here on ZD, although I'm glad we're having this conversation and looking at this issue as it applies to the rules.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
My issue isn't so much swear words it, I do not think that banning them is needed since we have the censor anyway.

I just think that when members are fighting with each other (as you were in that thread) that swearing at each other should be avoided. Perhaps I should have clarified that more. It is not healthy debate and creates a bad atmosphere. Everyone gets frustrated but I feel as though people are getting at each others throats too much lately and swearing just makes this worse.

Mases has noted that he feels as though swearing is getting out of hand or being used too much but in this particular instance he had no influence on my PM. Which I didn't even consider a warning or a big deal, if you had waited a little longer for my response I would have clarified the points above (well, did before seeing that this thread was here too).
I wanted to make this thread for more than just that, I also wanted to gauge the general opinion.

However, I'm not sure if you're in a "fight", that swearing should make a difference on how said posts are moderated. Swearing to me is used to emphasize a point, not be rude or destructive. I swear so often in my day to day speech that I really think nothing of swears.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Swearing for me is more of a vent, if i can't get a few curses off then it just gets bottled up and erupts at the first person to aggravate me. (AKA, the concerning images thread)

Some cursing does need to be cut out such as the big ones but unfortunately the censors are not smart enough to see when someone is being a smart ass and going * * * * or using numbers as words. Kinda annoying plus it'd require a dedicated mod to keep up with the censor making sure it doesn't fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom