• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Does Pokemon Sun & Moon feel slow?

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
I don't know if it is just me but the begging of the game felt rather slow that it made me just not interested. I mean it took me after reading all the text about 20 minutes to get me first pokemon. With all the text dump the dropped at you at the begging and still just giving you huge road blocks like tauros and the forced catch tutorial about 30 minutes into the game. The pace killed it for me. I just lost a lot of interest fast. Besides the learning just after gen 6 mega evolutions just got ripped out.
the pace just feels off.

I felt the exact same. I wasnt interested much in the game but was bought it because everyone else in the house was playing it and didnt want me to be left out.

So i have Moon and the first island was boring as hell. It felt like playing skyward sword, being told whete to go and not being allowed to do anything else until i'd done the dull mandatory busy work.

All i wanted to do was jump into some grass or run around the island but i was gated so often that it started to sour me.

The characters love to talk to. Im up to the second island now and i havent picked it up since the one evening i played it, i'm worried that every island is going to be stop/start and constantly gate me, which isnt what i want.

Last edited:

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Actually Mega Evolutions didn't get ripped out as they still exist they are just Endgame tier now, as in Battle Tree.

Yes the beginning of the game felt slower than usual but to be fair it's like a windup key, cuz good god it got faster later.

Also it's stated in game that Z-moves are Alola's version of Mega Evolutions

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I felt the exact same. I wasnt interested much in the game bit was bought it because everyone else in the house was playing it and didnt want me to be left out.

So i have Moon and the first island was boring as hell. It felt like playing skyward sword, being told whete to go and not being allowed to do anything else until i'd done the dull mandatory busy work.

All i wanted to do was jump into some grass or run around the island but i was gated so often that it started to sour me.

The characters love to talk to. Im up to the second island now and i havent picked it up since the one evening i played it, i'm worried that every island is going to be stop/start and constantly gate me, which isnt what i want.

If you mean the captain barricades, they do exist but to be honest the games natural progression means you aren't going to just idly run into one. I literally went around each isle gathering pokemon as i played and i think the only time i felt really gated into a location was Wela Park Volcano and even then it gave you the option of climbing the volcano.

I don't understand how you think it's anymore gated than areas being blocked by requiring HMs to get into. At least in these one once that gate is cleared you'll have to re-open it.

SpiteChaotic

The lazy Chaos Bringer
Actually Mega Evolutions didn't get ripped out as they still exist they are just Endgame tier now, as in Battle Tree.

Yes the beginning of the game felt slower than usual but to be fair it's like a windup key, cuz good god it got faster later.

Also it's stated in game that Z-moves are Alola's version of Mega Evolutions
Ok good. i just kept hearing they were taken and such it got me worried. Though I've seen z-moves and they don't feel the same to me but eh. Given it is a one time power move then a whole buff and change for a pokemon.

I felt the exact same. I wasnt interested much in the game bit was bought it because everyone else in the house was playing it and didnt want me to be left out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The whole gating thing is odd considering they went and said no more hm. Which made me think i could explore a lot easier besides the few story blockades and hidden things they would obviously tuck away. But there are so many blockades in this that annoy me that i wish for the way x & y had. Not to much for your actual way but the hm did let you get to areas to get secret stuff.

If you mean the captain barricades, they do exist but to be honest the games natural progression means you aren't going to just idly run into one. I literally went around each isle gathering pokemon as i played and i think the only time i felt really gated into a location was Wela Park Volcano and even then it gave you the option of climbing the volcano.

I don't understand how you think it's anymore gated than areas being blocked by requiring HMs to get into. At least in these one once that gate is cleared you'll have to re-open it.

I dont mean the actual barricades i mean the likes of the Tauros not getting out of the way and then the dog that sniffs things.
Those coupled with a mad amount of characters interrupting me. It just felt so stop start that it made me not care.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Ok good. i just kept hearing they were taken and such it got me worried. Though I've seen z-moves and they don't feel the same to me but eh. Given it is a one time power move then a whole buff and change for a pokemon.

Z-moves are handy but only really in specific areas in my eyes. But the mechanics are similar it's a one time per battle thing.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. The whole gating thing is odd considering they went and said no more hm. Which made me think i could explore a lot easier besides the few story blockades and hidden things they would obviously tuck away. But there are so many blockades in this that annoy me that i wish for the way x & y had. Not to much for your actual way but the hm did let you get to areas to get secret stuff.

The reason behind the blockades is much the same as the badges, and HMs they didn't want you to explore zones you wouldn't be ready for, but i have got to say some of the challenges you get from trial captains are brilliantly tough, goddamn Mallow in particular.

and trust me even without the HMs you still have stuff hidden away. Often in plain sight.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I dont mean the actual barricades i mean the likes of the Tauros not getting out of the way and then the dog that sniffs things.
Those coupled with a mad amount of characters interrupting me. It just felt so stop start that it made me not care.

Ah those events, to be honest i never really noticed the dog blocking the path but then again when do you visit Hano beach for anything? Well i suppose for a sandygast or a pyukumuku. I think the dog was in place to show you one of the pokeride mounts, the tauros was indeed irritating, but it got sorted quick, i'd say from 2nd isle on it does pick up a lot more.

Only thing that makes me sad is it's not such a large overworld.

Night Owl

~Momentai
The pacing through the whole game felt wonky. It felt slow through the first and second isles, then you get to the third and get rushed around all over the place. 40 hours in to get the legendary; but right after you do, time to face the elite 4. Everything was paced evenly with my team for leveling, then it jumped 10 levels out of the blue on Poni Isle. There were also too few trials, I enjoyed them on the first 2 isles and was expecting a couple more on the third isle. After setting up the game where you have to complete the isles trials before you fight the kahuna, I was very disappointed that you clear the kahuna of Poni Isle then end up finding a trial.

Sun and moon starts off feeling slow, then it finishes feeling rushed. The pacing was just annoying.

Melemele Island is definitely slow but the game really speeds up on Akala with its three trials and then when things down down with Team Skull on the third island through the end of the game. A lot of people have complained about the cut scenes, but they didn't feel intrusive to me. I love that Game Freak actually tried to flesh out the world and its characters for once.

Yeah, the beginning of the game is pretty slow and tutorial heavy. Which seems to be a bit of an issue with Nintendo in the last few years, with the Zelda series only just having overcome the same issue and the Mario RPGs still suffering it.

Still, it's gets better as you progress through the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom