• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you listen to Game music/Audio After First Playthrough?

Do you listen to the game while playing the game?

• Yes

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the game

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
I think it's common to listen to the game music/audio while playing a game for the first time, but, after that do you still play the game while listening to the games audio? Do you listen to YouTube in the background? Does it Depend on the game?

For me, it really depends on the game itself, If it's something like Zelda, Final Fantasy, or even Diablo III(Eternal Collection), I tend to listen to YouTube in the background. Games such as Skyrim, that has audio cues of a huge fight something, I listen to the game itself. Older games also depends. I have tinnitus so most, if not all NES and GB games are hard if not impossible to hear. If I can listen/hear the music, I'll play older games with the game audio for nostalgia.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
just want to say, when my friend was playing FF6 for the first time, he'd have his own music playing in the background, and him telling me that drove me nuts b/c of how sublime FF6's soundtrack is

as for me, I'm sure I've made exceptions here and there but yeah, I'd still want to hear the actual game audio on a replay

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I can't remember the last time I listened to music in place of in-game audio, but whenever I did, it's because I was playing a multiplayer/co-op mode and sometimes you do need that hype music.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I put my vote on depends on the game, but honestly I usually leave the music on. It's games like Minecraft, Cattails, and Splatoon where I can put podcasts or other music on while playing. Those sorts of games don't have a strong storyline and you just kinda zone out and play mindlessly, which is perfect for podcasts. I remember back in late 2022 I listened to all of the Magnus Archives while working on a giant build in Minecraft.

All other games, music stays on no matter how many times I've played it.

Guinea

Basically Tingle
I always listen to the game music unless I'm playing Minecraft, in which case I play gaming lofi music.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I always do, but I tend to wait a few years after I've beaten a game until I add it to my list of songs. That way I also get a wave of... I guess nostalgia? The first time I hear it again ^^

Oh wait, I misunderstood the question!
I do NOT listen to other music while playing most games. The exception is World of Warcraft. If I'm doing something in WoW that I've done many times before, or if I'm grinding for something, or other monotonous tasks, then I do turn off the game audio and listen to music instead!

A game without music just feels awkward, some people play with music off in Minecraft, but me, I have to have it at least 25% volume, I don't care if a creeper is sneaking up on me. And sometimes, a great game is determined by its music. You can have a dramatic and tense scene, but without music it just feels lost.
It's like if you take Midna's Desperate Hour, and remove Midna's Lament. It just wouldn't be the same. It just wouldn't hit you in the heart the same way without that music.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I'll often have YouTube playing videos or other content in the background while I am playing games except if there is something important to a storyline happening for me to concentrate on with no huge difference between a first or later play through.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Depends on the kind of game, but yeah, I generally prefer to hear the game's music and sounds while I'm playing it. It adds to the experience quite a bit. On replays maybe less so, if only because I've listened to the music before and I might want something else just for variety.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I mean, I don't turn it off. It kinda takes away from the experience. Except for Mariokart Wii. I've played it so much that I started listening to Tamil rap while playing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom