• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Did BotW cross the collectathon line?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
There's not enough in BotW to give some enough sense of direction and enough tangible loot to search for. That's not a game flaw, it's just some games are not suited towards some people. BotW is not suited towards everyone.

You've missed the point entirely.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I agree with Lozjam. You NEVER have to farm for anything. Lynels ARE aggressive, you can easily come across a shrine, korok seed, enemy camp, or dragon, and if a guardian stalks you, you can kill it without trying to farm.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Bokoblins hide in camps and Lynels are non-aggressive. How did you "come across" them? It sounds like you were hunting them down...

Must have been reeeeeally lucky with Farosh then...

....OK I know Guardians are aggressive, but how did you get enough cores without farming them?
That's like saying that in an RPG, every battle that you do is "grinding" because you can run away from every battle. Yeah, most of the camps I come across, I go explore because a lot of them have some pretty good loot like elemental arrows. I end up killing some bokoblins as well. That still isn't "grinding". That is naturally playing the game. Grinding is going intentionally after Bokoblin camps all around the world because you don't have all of the materials.
Well yes...but everything sans Ganon is optional Koroks still make up over 80% of the game and comprise of the same mundane tasks over and over.
No..... Shrines and Divine beasts make up the majority of the game. There's also hunting, cooking, gathering foods, sidequests, and treasure. That makes up 80% of the game. And like I said, you don't have to hardly any of the Korok seeds and the world still has plenty of things to do.
What's the point of exploring when the world is empty, lifeless, and devoid of meaning?
uhhhhh.... You can go hunting, try catching a horse, shield surfing, climbing mountains to glide easily to other places, exploring shrines, collecting insects, defeating enemies, talking to NPC's. I mean, the world is far more filled with stuff to do than Ocarina of Time, or Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. So I must ask you... What was the point of exploring those worlds?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
That's like saying that in an RPG, every battle that you do is "grinding" because you can run away from every battle. Yeah, most of the camps I come across, I go explore because a lot of them have some pretty good loot like elemental arrows. I end up killing some bokoblins as well. That still isn't "grinding". That is naturally playing the game. Grinding is going intentionally after Bokoblin camps all around the world because you don't have all of the materials.

No..... Shrines and Divine beasts make up the majority of the game. There's also hunting, cooking, gathering foods, sidequests, and treasure. That makes up 80% of the game. And like I said, you don't have to hardly any of the Korok seeds and the world still has plenty of things to do.

uhhhhh.... You can go hunting, try catching a horse, shield surfing, climbing mountains to glide easily to other places, exploring shrines, collecting insects, defeating enemies, talking to NPC's. I mean, the world is far more filled with stuff to do than Ocarina of Time, or Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. So I must ask you... What was the point of exploring those worlds?

I gotta admit Shield Surfing is my new Hobby. So much fun

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Why do people go bush walking?
Why do people go camping out in the bush?
Why do people explore nature in general?

Probably because our vast real world is infinitely more interesting that a digital environment. Now why don't people do this? Probably because they're the type who want to stay at home playing games...and if they were interested in this, they'd go out and do it.

Not so. I've noticed the trees in the western areas are different from the more palm like trees of the jungles to the south, which are different again to the trees of the east/north east of the map. I noticed this while climbing many of these trees looking for korok seeds.

And from a gameplay perspective--sorry too lazy to look for the gif--who the hell cares?

That's like saying that in an RPG, every battle that you do is "grinding" because you can run away from every battle. Yeah, most of the camps I come across, I go explore because a lot of them have some pretty good loot like elemental arrows.

Whaaaa? XD How is that good loot? That's not even worth the weapons you're wasting to get there.

I end up killing some bokoblins as well. That still isn't "grinding". That is naturally playing the game. Grinding is going intentionally after Bokoblin camps all around the world because you don't have all of the materials.

Well I mean apparently you don't have enough rupees to buy these cheap elemental arrows...

No..... Shrines and Divine beasts make up the majority of the game.

Yeah...not going to beat around the bush...that's bull****. But hey by all means prove yourself. If you can get some video footage showing me the completion of all 900 Korok seeds under 40 hours, I'll concede. I won't even make you include all the grinding sidequests, just the Korok seeds.

There's also hunting,

Grinding.

Grinding.

gathering foods,

Grinding

sidequests,

Of which the majority of them involve killing x creature(s) or gathering y common materials repeatedly..............AKA grinding.

That makes up 80% of the game.

A second ago you were just saying that Shrines/Divine Beasts were the majority, but since this basically affirms my point anyway, I won't argue.

To do some fun, non-grinding sidequests or advance the story I'd imagine. Overall though, exploration isn't something you generally do in Zelda. You just move on to the next dungeon, solve some puzzles, and have fun.

What? Lynels are very aggressive if they see you, so much so that while climbing in the woodland region one of the assholes literally shot me off the cliff face despite me not being in physical line of site.

Their aim is pretty BS, yeah, but they take forever to see you and even if you run at them, it'll take 5-10 seconds for them to engage in combat unless unless you pull out a weapon--the only exception being the one at Zora's Domain.

Probably because our vast real world is infinitely more interesting that a digital environment. Now why don't people do this? Probably because they're the type who want to stay at home playing games...and if they were interested in this, they'd go out and do it.
Not so. Games like Endless Ocean exist for this exist reason, to zen out and explore a digital environment just for the sake of exploring it and nothing else.

And from a gameplay perspective--sorry too lazy to look for the gif--who the hell cares?
Not you obviously. Not some others too. That's totally fine. If you are comparing this to gameplay then the point is being lost here. It's not about gameplay. It's about exploration. BotW is about exploring and collecting first. Everything else is secondary. It mattered to me and I thought it was a nice touch.
People who think of this game purely in gameplay elements totally miss the point of the game.

Yeah...not going to beat around the bush...that's bull****. But hey by all means prove yourself. If you can get some video footage showing me the completion of all 900 Korok seeds under 40 hours, I'll concede. I won't even make you include all the grinding sidequests, just the Korok seeds.
As far as I know the 100% completion for the game has a WR of roughly 49 hours so far. That's not everything done but enough for the game to say 100% (korok seeds, shrines and map locations).

Lozjam's point is the korok seeds are something you find while doing everything else the game has to offer. Specifically grinding for korok seeds (at least early on) is doing it wrong.

Grinding.
You also have to press the controller buttons to play the game . . . such grinding by your fingers and thumbs. Wait a second, every game has repetative things you do over and over again. Yes I am saying every single game ever made has this. It's only grinding when the fun has been sucked out of it and you are doing it because you feel forced and not because you want to.

Overall though, exploration isn't something you generally do in Zelda. You just move on to the next dungeon, solve some puzzles, and have fun.
BotW is totally different to this. BotW makes exploring a wide expansive digital world really fun. It's not everyone's cup of tea though. And that's ok, not every game has to appeal to every person.

Because everyone who bought the game had no criticisms of it...
Not everyone who bought the game likes what the game is. Some people think what they don't like is a game flaw when it's really not.

[edit] I am not saying the game is without flaws. No game is perfect. I am saying that the game nails the exploration aspect very well. That's the main part of the game along with the collectathon aspect.

If someone does not like exploration and collecting based games, they need to realise it's just not a game for them. . . . not complain that the game should be different to cater to their wants.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Not everyone who bought the game likes what the game is. Some people think what they don't like is a game flaw when it's really not.

It's a Zelda game. That's what it is. Your perspective of the game doesn't make it any less disappointing to Zelda fans for lacking certain qualities expected from a Zelda game. You don't need to tell us what a flaw is or isn't, when we're sharing personal opinions based on our preferences for this series.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
People who think of this game purely in gameplay elements totally miss the point of the game.

People who are looking at this as a game are missing the point of the game? .....................Well ****, I gotta concede to you on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom