• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Could Samus Have an Heir?

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I think we can attest to Samus being generally awesome. It's normal to want to keep those traits intact, should something happen to Samus. But could she mother a child?

What would the child inherit, though? Both Chozo and Metroid DNA lie within Samus, but passing them on means that her germ cells would need to have the DNA implanted as well. This pretty much depends on how they infused Samus in the first place.

Another thing is if Samus could bear a child. As far as we know, she's strict about her duty to the GF and it's people in general. Staying fit enough to do protect them would probably cause problems with her "cycle". All that radiation could restrict her ability to conceive, too. She might not even want a child, because she's afraid she'll slow down or something.

Being a titular game series, what kind of life would her child live should one be revealed? Truth be told, she could live a perfectly normal life as long as the father's family is intact. But a reveal would mean that Samus is leaving a legacy behind. Should something happen,(and it probably would happen), we have a new bounty hunter. A new hero. A new chapter.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Interesting thread! I personally thought about this before and I think she may be able to have a baby. As you said with the radiation, that may be true with a 100% human woman. But She has CHozo and Metroid DNA. This could allow her to still be able to concieve. The question I have is who the father is, and whether Samus would want her daughter to become what she has become.

Chameleon

Down for maintenance.
it'll happen as in the Zelda series. She will have a baby, call it Samus and everything starts again.

I don't see a reason to believe Samus would practice abstinence specially after her relationship with Adam in Other M. That said, the baby would inherit some of its traits from the mother, Samus, and some from the father whoever that may be. If Samus and a male partner produce a girl, then she will most likely follow in the steps of her mother. That said, a strong sexual attraction (Oedipus Complex) exists between a child and the parent of the opposite gender so perhaps a son would assume the task of bounty hunting as well. That said, this philosophy is much to deep for a Nintendo game. Samus will likely rear a child in some future installments but how exactly that will come about is not for you to worry about as Nintendo exhibits its own unique and sometimes amusing logic.

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I'm not really worried, just crossed my mind. Nothing wrong with discussing Metroid.

We don't exactly know her motives, but we've been lead to believe that Samus's very selfless, putting herself in danger of death at the hands of the SP in order to protect those in danger of them. Not to mention the fact that she's been a part of the GF for most her known life. I think she's the kind of person that doesn't stop; a baby would hinder her from doing her duty. Not only that, but her experience with the Bby Metroid probably scared her of having someone like that. In fact, it wouldn't be a stretch to say that Samus probably doesn't want to get close to anyone for the same reason.
TheMasterSword makes a good point. Of course Samus wouldn't want Samus Jr. to grow up like her, but Jr. would probably find a way anyway. @ Chameleon lol XD

I doubt Samus would spawn; Metroid is a few steps away form alien love making in the sense that Other M was whimsically blunt with its subtext (if it can be called that in any degree) about Samus being the mother to the baby Metroid, so within the walls of the series, Samus has already done the mother thing. Though since Other M was so badly written its hard to tell how Samsu would react to single threadless men who came her way during those long and boring days that fall off the calendar as she floats through space and waits for the GF to give her an order (even though she's left numerous times yet still finds herself working for them).

Another general point to the symbiotic relationship physically (and perhaps emotionally) are to do with the events of Fusion, after hunting Metroids for so long, Samus eventually becomes a Metroid herself when she is injected to cure the X within her system, this 'becoming' really speaks volumes to me if i couple it with the Other M motherly train of thought, in that Samus is closer to the creatures she hunts than the life she could create.

Also I love Samus, i really wouldn't want her to hang anything up or step into the background and having an heir would really disappoint me for a franchise direction.

I'd much rather prefer a reboot than a new character taking over.

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
I definitely don't wanna see Samus die or anything, but since she's one person at some point she's gonna die; and it'd be kinda weak if she died of old age vs doing what she does best, saving planets and what not. It'll probably be a while till something like this happens, but Samus is very unique compared to the average human. She survived all these years not because of her dna, but because she's clever. For her to not pass that on would be a waste IMO. And honestly I think Other M kinda overdid all the baby drama. Instead of being thankful for what happened, she blames the baby thing on herself. I can understand her being upset, just not to the extreme that other m portrays it.

EDIT: Maybe it's the way the presented it. It seemed like Samus should be more upset because it's the last Metroid, similar to herself in the beginning. Also the fact that she killed them off in the first place, could have triggered some kind of self-resentment. It makes me think it's more complicated than just "mother and baby". Like Samus is reminded of how she was a survivor, too.

Last edited:
Samus won't die, she is a fictional game character, sooooo many of them never age or die, and Samus will be one of them, if the Metroid series the way it as at the moment runs out of steam where they find themselves unable to make installments between before or after then i'd say a reboot would occur and it'd still be Samus, just like with Prince of Persia, she may look different, may even act different but it may not be for the worse. In fact they may just keep her and just start from scratch. So there's no need to worry about that.

Though i would like to see a Metroid game where Samus is in a lot of danger, more like a survival horror where if she is beaten badly then her suit breaks and she loses valuable abilities that she would have to make on her own powerless way... kind of like making the whole 'losing her powers at the start thing' last the whole game, i think that'd be a great difficulty curve and then it'd give a reason to flesh out Zero Suit and her Chozo attributes which she never gets to uses, so you're powering up the woman not the machine, i can see this implemented in a kind of hidden skill in Twilight Princess kind of fashion, just not as blunt as that.

But yeah, a game where it could feel like Samus is actually going to die would be good for the series, make people think that they could lose her at game's end and make them realise what they'd miss. =]

Fig

The Altruist
it'll happen as in the Zelda series. She will have a baby, call it Samus and everything starts again.

It is possible that this could happen at any time throughout the series. Personally, I can't see Samus having a child because her relationships have not really worked as plan. It's not her fault, she's the good guy! I just hate how the people close to her actually want to hurt and not care about Samus. Theoretically speaking, the baby Metroid was as close as a son for Samus. It sacrificed its own life just to save Samus from danger. I still cry for that action the baby Metroid did. I hope Nintendo can bring him back since I always thought it was like Samus's son. :cry:

Lord_Cathaseigh

Like a sir.
^I like to think it lives on in Samus, not just literally but figuratively, too.

I think a good way for her to sign off is in a situation where her daughter/son(though I'd prefer daughter) gets caught up in a fight for his/her life. The daughter chooses to be a bounty hunter despite Samus's warnings and finds her self at the edge of death, only for Samus to jump in and sacrifice herself to save her daughter. It could even have a flash back to Samus right after the pirates attack (as a child) and a flashback to Baby saving her from Mother Brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom