• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Cop Out Timeline"

I was listening to axle in his last mailbag/article where he said the "Link is defeated timeline" was a cop out time line I disagree for several reasons:

1) why does good always have to triumph over evil?

2) when link dies should that be the end of the story and someone else(aka zelda etc) take the quest in his stead?

3) why is it that link's family/friends are never directly threatened?For example have demise/ghirahim attempt to take skyloft for himself?

4) In Zelda 2, when you die it says Ganon is revived, wouldn't that mean hell on hyrule should commence instead of getting three new lives?

5) Should Link's Death mean something to someone? meaning shouldn't he have family and friends to fight for vs save the princess seventeen times?

Thoughts suggestions

Garo

Boy Wonder
It's not that Link dying is the cop out; that would be perfectly legitimate, if there were an actual event that lead to it. Aonuma has said, however, that the timeline in which Link dies isn't even a real timeline, but rather a "hypothetical situation".

The cop out isn't Ganon's victory; it's the idea that a sizable chunk of the franchise didn't actually happen.

R

Red Lion

I find it to be a very slippery slope - theoretically, if it happens in Oot, it should happen for every game in the series...meaning we have less of a timeline and more of a tree. Leaves it open for them to make new games I guess...

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
The phrase "cop-out" does not mean that it doesn't happen. It means that it is completely hypothetical. You could call it the "what if" timeline and it would mean the exact same thing. So pretty much this means that either one of the timelines could happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom