• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Chasing Reality (a Short Collection of Stories)

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
Every now and then, I feel the need to write something.

At the age of 15, I used to be a lucid dreamer. I also kept a diary, an no, I didn't write about my daily life, but about the strange and extraordinary things I experienced during the night.

Earlier today, I was looking at some old stuff. Inside an old box, I just happened to find this diary. When reading through it, some things inspired me. The complexity, the atmosphere and the vivacity amazed me. It inspired me to write about it. Some of the short stories I'll post here are based on these dreams, some others are not.

I didn't plan on posting these stories here at Zeldadungeon. But I was thinking, it doesn't matter whether I post them solely at a lonely word document at my computer or here. At my computer, no one will read it, and probably the same will count for here. But that doesn't matter, I'm not writing for the sake of getting followers, and if even a single person here would've read a single story, that would've been worth it.

The stories will be one chapter at most, I'll add any more when I feel like it or when I find the inspiration for it (probably the same, but never mind that).

Feel free to add any short stories yourself to this thread (not more than one chapter a story). Just as much as it flatters me if someone reads something I've written myself, I'd love to read similar stories written by others. I would like to collect some of these stories, anything inspiring written by someone else makes a great addition. Also, feel free to post short stories you wrote in the past.

Reaching the top
A gentle breeze blew through my hair. I was lying on the ground, half asleep.

I heard a voice in the distance, calling my name, asking me things.
Slowly did I open my eyes. The sun was bright and standing high, it was a warm summer day. I noticed that I was lying on the grass, on a field which stretched all the way to the horizon.

Next to me sat a boy who was around my age, he was staring at something in front of him. I couldn't see what it was due to the tall grass around me.

When I got up, I saw a hill in front of me.

On the top of that hill there was a bright forest.

In the middle of that forest, there was a tree. A huge tree, a tree as tall as the eye could see.

The tree had large fruits, colourful fruits. Red, yellow, blue, they had the size of a house. Around these fruits, there were even larger leaves.

The boy who sat next to me turned his face towards me. He had a smile on his face. I had never seen the boy before, yet I somehow knew he was a good friend, like I've known him my whole live.
"Have you ever wondered what is on top of that tree", did he ask me while pointing to the tall and colourful tree on the top of te hill, "it is said that the one who reaches the top will find something there... Something which brings that person more happiness than they could ever obtain."

"Care to find out?" He jumped on his feet while asking me that and started running towards the tree, chasing the unreachable. Without noticing it, I joined his chase.

The wind was blowing through the grassy field, the grass waved as if I was amidst a sea.
Although the hill was very far away, it only seemed like a moment to reach it.

I stood in front of the tree. I looked up, to the sky, hoping to find a glimpse of the heaven we were looking for. I stretched my arms up to the sky, as if I could reach the top. Without any second thought I started to climb. I was climbing with a speed I didn't think was possible to climb with. I jumped from tree to tree, through the leaves, higher and higher.

The higher we went, the larger the branches and their leaves became. It didn't take long before we were higher than any other tree in the small forest.
The other boy was waiting for me while sitting on one of the large branches. When I reached the branch, I took a small break. Beneath me, I could see the waves of wind passing trough the grassy fields, I could see other hills in the far distance, all covered with the endless sea of tall grass. It had a majestic atmosphere.

I wondered what we would find at the top. As if the boy was able to read my mind, he replied on it. "Perhaps what we will find is a pot of gold, Maybe it is the present you've always wished for, a gate to another world or it might be something even more spiritual. Who knows, it is said to be the thing which would grant you more happiness than anything else could ever grant you in this world."

His words made me think for a moment, what was it that I hoped to gain, what was it that I truly desired? What was it that was haunting me in such a way that I desired this true happiness, what was I running away from?

As we continued our climb the sun was slowly leaving the day.
After a non-exhausting climb of many hours, we reached the first fruits. It was round, like an apple, or a peach, and it had a yellow colour. I asked the boy to wait, and when I turned myself around, looking at the view from that place, I saw that the whole sky had gained an orange colour. I hadn't noticed it before, but the place around me, it was all so peaceful and magical. "Never will we reach the top," I said to the boy, "no matter how much we climb. And you know what... I've been thinking about it a lot.. I wonder, do we really want to reach the top of the tree?"
"Of course we want to reach the top, whatever is there, it will grant us more happiness than anything else in this world."

"But... if all of this was to be granted to us, what if it would be disappointing? Knowing that there cannot be anymore happiness to find. As long as we don't know what this happiness is, it can be eternal. And for an eternity we can search for more happiness. Isn't that called hope?"
"And what is a world without hope? What will be our reason to live if there is nothing to achieve and to aim for?"

The boy had to laugh, "we don't need to reach the top if that is not your desire", he replied. "Afterall, you and I are the same, I'm merely a shade of your personality. Created when wishing for the undesirable."

For a swift moment, his words surprised me. A part of me...? "Than what is the reason you are here, why did you bring me to this place?"

"Like I said, I'm merely a shade. The sun is about to leave the day, soon there will no longer be any light to cast my shadow. But worry not, you are no longer in need of my presence. The day is nearly over, you yourself have been able to let the clock move forward."

I didn't know how to respond, but I felt like I did not need to say anything. Slowly he faded away, until nothing was left of him, the person who brought me to this place.

I lied down, looking at the sunset and the now golden fields beneath me. I suddenly understood his words, perhaps the thing I was looking for on top of this tree was never truly there to be found. It was always near me, wherever I went. I only had to see it.
My eyelids became very heavy, I was slowly falling asleep. I felt some sort of peace, a happiness I couldn't describe, as I closed my eyes. Knowing that I would be sleeping for days, weeks, maybe years to come. But it would be a peaceful sleep, embraced by the warmth of happiness. Not desire, but hope."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom