• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Opening Lines...

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
What are your personal favorite opening lines from a movie, book, video game, song or piece of literature?

Some of mine?

"Tell me... do you ever feel a strange sadness as dusk falls?"
-Rusl The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

"I realized the moment I fell into the fissure that the book would not be destroyed as I had planed."
-Atrus Myst

"My mind is bent to tell of bodies changed into new forms."
-Ovid's Metamorphoses

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."
-J.R.R. Tolkien The Hobbit

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."
-Steven King The Gunslinger

Reactions: Dio

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
"In the Age of Ancients the world was unformed, shrouded by fog. A land of gray crags, Archtrees and Everlasting Dragons. But then there was Fire and with fire came disparity. Heat and cold, life and death, and of course, light and dark..." - Unspecified narrator, Dark Souls

"Good morning! Greetings all. This is Morioh Radio, and your host, once again, is me, your neighbor, Kai Harada. What a refreshing morning. And I have the perfect song here to start off the day. Here's our first song of the morning." - Kai Harada, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable anime
I just love these radio segments David Productions added in. Really adds to the small suburban town feel, and you know that every time they do it that there's gonna be some **** going down...

"In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law...? Is it like the hand of God hovering above? At least, it is true that man has no control, even over his own will. Man takes up the sword in order to shield the small wound in his heart sustained in a far-off time beyond remembrance. Man wields the sword so that he may die smiling in some far-off time beyond perception." - Unspecified narrator, Berserk
Technically not even the first line in the series, but it's the opening line for where the series starts in earnest. The ever classic "super philosophical prose" opening.

"Fearsome monsters... Exotic creatures... Vast riches... Hidden treasures... Evil enclaves... Unexplored lands... The word "unknown" holds magic. And some incredible people are drawn to that magic. They are known... As Hunters!" - Yet another unspecified narrator, Hunter x Hunter
Really great opening that highlights the pure majesty of the world of Hunter x Hunter and part of why the start of the series probably has the best feel of "this is gonna be a damn cool-ass adventure and it's gonna be great" that any series has ever given me.

This is all that comes to mind at this point. Sorry I couldn't find anything humorous, I'll keep my eyes out for some good ones.

And also Rusl's line in Twilight Princess, but you already covered that.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
How bout...

"Transcending history, and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold."
-Soul Calibur 2

"Now that she's back in the atmosphere
With drops of Jupiter in her hair"
-Train Drops of Jupiter

... And how long's it gonna be until someone states the obvious?

Reactions: Dio

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
"Mr and Mrs Dursley of Number 4, Privet Drive were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling

"Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were." - Gone With The Wind, Margaret Mitchell.

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." - The Lovely Bones, Alice Sebold

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom